• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fixing a loose PC110 hinge?

NeXT

Veteran Member
I'm now happily an IBM PC110 owner (Took long enough to go through the mail...) however the first real issue I'm seeing is that the right side hinge is loose. I did a bit of googling and found nothing that would help me remedy the issue so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with it?

Also, I got a few questions. In no particular order:

-Can I use pretty much any PCMCIA floppy drive? (I got no dock)
-Do I get any visual indication that the battery is charging when both on or off?
-Will using the 100V ac adapter cause it to prematurely fail in my Canadian 120v, 50/60 cycle region?
-What type of backup battery does this thing take? It feels like a CR2032 is too large.
-Is it true the Compact Flash port is limited to only 128mb or can I put in a 4gb Type I (my Type II microdrive seems to be too large) CF card and use that to save a PCMCIA slot?

I can't speak to a PCMCIA floppy drive. I doubt it, as I think the BIOS just has enough to handle a PCMCIA HDD.
When on, the little LCD screen should tell battery charging level. You need to track down ultrachg.com to allow it to recharge when the unit is on.
When off, the LCD should show battery level.
100V adapter will work fine on 120.
Not sure on battery size.
I believe the CF port is limited, and I thought it was limited to 16MB... But, I just remember reading there is a limit.

Can I get more information on the overclock hack?

Do you repair these units? I have one that works, but will not turn on reliably.

Mine is setup with a copy of DOS in the 4MB internal flash disk, and DOS Linux (Slackware 10) on a PCMCIA Type I HDD on separate partitions. The upper PCMCIA slot holds a PRISMII Wifi card, so the unit is Wifi capable, and runs X (slowly)...

I got all my information from here.
It's a really helpful place for info on the PC110 and on how to install different OS's as well as the overclock.
I found out that if the 110 is left on and the LCD closed it will charge the batteries for me and both batteries seem to give me a good two hours of life.
Also, I have never heard of a Compact Flash port being limited to how large a card it could accept. Sounds like some IBM funky-ness is afoot!
emot-sherlock.gif

Also, no I don't fix 110's. I saw the overclock and thought why not and attempted it anyways.

EDIT: I found out how to disassemble and fix the hinge issue here.

Last edited:
Back