• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Formatting DSHD 5.25" diskettes as DSDD

Twylo

Experienced Member
I've been looking through Google and the forum search trying to find a good summary answer to a very basic question. It's just been so long since I commonly used 5.25" diskettes that I've outright forgotten almost everything I once knew.

I've been getting my new (to me!) IBM 5150 up and running, and I don't have any DSDD diskettes. I do have a large stack of DSHD diskettes, so I formatted several of them DSDD (in a 1.2MB drive) and wrote DOS 2.10 and 3.3 images to them.

They... sort of work, mostly, but they're extremely flakey, with lots of read errors. I think this is to be expected; I vaguely remember that HD diskettes just can not reliably be formatted as DD. Is this correct?

Would someone mind giving a quick summary of how double density differs from high density, and why the media is not backward compatible? I know I'd appreciate the refresher.

[In the meantime, I found some DSDD diskettes on eBay and they're on their way to me!]

I remember trying to format a DS HD floppy on my C-64. It wasn't too happy.

I'm pretty sure that HD floppies are made from a different compound than the DD floppies are. Kinda like Normal and Cr02 cassettes.

As for finding DD floppies, I picked up a few hundred from my local freecycle group. I've got tons to keep me occupied for years!

HD 5.25" media differs from 2D substantially in two ways.

The most important is the coercivity of the magnetic material used--the magnetic field strength needed to magnetize a material.

The coercivity of 2D media is 290 oersteds and about 560 for HD. Thus a much stronger write current is needed for HD.

Another aspect is the coating thickness--about 2.5 microns for 2D and about half that for HD. This means that what you manage to write to HD media with a 2D drive will read back with a lower signal level.

The third factor is magnetic particle size--generally smaller for high-density media. Not particularly important, except to high-density recordings.

The fourth factor is loading--the ratio of magnetic material to binder. Generally, HD media has a lower ratio to avoid problems with "bit crowding" on the inner tracks, where a magnetization change can actually push one following further away. (this is the reason for write precompensation circuitry).

In short, don't do it. You won't like it.

HD 5.25" media differs from 2D substantially in two ways.

Fantastic, this is exactly the explanation I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to explain it so clearly!

My DSDD diskettes arrived in the mail today, still shrinkwrapped and in excellent condition. I wrote a set of DOS 3.30a STARTUP/OPERATING images to them, and they have no issues reading or writing, so I'm back in business.

Want some more DSDD disks? I have a large cash of 'em and I can get them too you for a little more than shipping.

Back