• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your setup

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
Lessee some pictures of your most-used retrotastic computer setup! One computer, connected to accessories, perferably doing something ;)

Lessee some pictures of your most-used retrotastic computer setup! One computer, connected to accessories, perferably doing something ;)
I don't know what nessecarely you mean by "retrotastic", but the following is the most closest I have (even it's not really "retro", it's actually from it's time. The most imporiant fact is that it is connected to a piece of accessory, and it does do something with it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOzZSU_dO8

Last edited:
Here is one of my 5160 machines. The other is boxed up.

IMG_0024.JPG

Not a super old machine, but still a cool piece of hardware. This is a DTK 286 that has been set up to work as an eprom burner (which I at this moment in time have no idea how to do. Soon....)

dtk_286_04.JPG

dtk_286_02.JPG

dtk_286_06.JPG

-Lance

CoCo 3 and NeXT cube

CoCo 3 and NeXT cube

Here's a little-bit dated version of my CoCo 3 setup:

DSC00383.JPG

...and where my NeXT cube used to live at the foot of my bed:

NeXTCubeMedium.jpg

BTW, :bigups: on NeXT's and Cloudschatze's pics.

Oh heck, one more picture.
p2272571.jpg

What the Onyx is doing...
Welcome_to_Irix_by_CelGen.jpg

An SGI feels pretty castrated when it's missing most of its Graphics boards. The Onyx needs a GE10 RealityEngine2 board as well as four RM4 raster manager boards. the Crimson needs a GE8 RealityEngine board and another four RM4 boards. Still they perform well when headless or when I'm runnign a remote 4DWM session on my Indigo.

Very cool setups. All my setups are currently too cluttered to do any cool photos.. if I can find my camera I'll see.

NeXT, what power supply/cable does your Onyx take? That's funny.. I think I have one of their cousins in my house ;-) "SGI Challenge" and an Onyx that has a funky plug that I've never wanted to pay for (not sure if it's 240V though).

Cloudschatze, sweet midi setup. What type of synth/keyboard is that? I'm toying with getting some mini-synth like a korg (but I already have a korg so I'd really prefer another vendor for some new samples) for a small midi setup and connect it to some soft synths (NI).

Ohh, the Crimson and Onyx are really cool!

I've just done some cleaning in my computer room and rack mounted what should be rack mounted. Not much is up and running as I've just moved.. but I'm itching to start working with my machines. Well here are some pics:

PDP-11, Vaxen and Alphas:
IMG_2982.JPG

First set of SGI machines:
IMG_2979.JPG

Second bunch:
IMG_2983.JPG

And my more ancient hardware, rack mounted for the first time:
IMG_2984.JPG

Very nice Pontus. I was waiting to see if you'd post the 11 :) Is that a home built shelf or something you found at a store? I need to build something like that, I've been toying with cheap shelves and some steel ones for my original displays but I'm still eying better setups.

Niiiiice! You own an IRIS! :D
You ever had it running?
@ barythrin: Forget the model PSU but the one in the Onyx at least was replaced years ago in a recall notice. The crimson uses a twist-lock plug and the Onyx uses a funky 16A connector I can't even describe but also works with my Origin 2000.

Very nice Pontus. I was waiting to see if you'd post the 11 :) Is that a home built shelf or something you found at a store? I need to build something like that, I've been toying with cheap shelves and some steel ones for my original displays but I'm still eying better setups.

Thank you :) The shelf is from IKEA and is called Gorm, quite sturdy but mostly I bought it because it is very cheap. They have better storage solutions if your budget is bigger than mine.

Niiiiice! You own an IRIS! :D
You ever had it running?

Yes, it was fully functional before the move. It was close to being thrown out twice, but I literally saved it in the last minute. I didn't know what it was when I took it, but I'm glad I did. My hope is to get it to boot of the network as finding ESDI drives are hard, and you never know when it might fail. But first I need to get the mousepad for it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCT89n-fvkI

ROFL!
I had a feeling that video would eventually make its rounds in the vintage computer community. ;)
Nice to hear it works.

Back