• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Old Olivetti is serius ill

Multifusk

I am a Collector of CPU's, so the Forum I normaly uses is "CPU-World" But I have become a member here, because i also have a little collection of Old Computers (4 Old IBM's, 3 Olivetti, Osborne 1, and a couple of others) and I can see that it is here, folks with interest of Vintage Computers is meeting.

I have a problem with one of my machines that I would like to ask about ?

My first Computer was a Toshiba T3100e. I got it from the telephone compagny, where i worked. It was in 1992, and i still own it, and it still works.
80286 - 20 MHz 1 Mb RAM 21 MB Harddisk, and solid as a Rock.

The next Computer I bought in 1993 for myself. It was an Olivetti PCS 386SX. It cost me 5400 Danish Kroner ( 1000$).
Although it's a Computer in poor quality, it was my "toy" for 2 years.
I never sold it, and once in between, do I start it, to test it.

But this last time i would not start. The BIOS battery is flat. So it can not start on the Harddisk

It has a very strange BIOS setup. I can only choose between 20, 40 and 100 Mb Harddisk

I don't think that it can start up, without the battery

Anyone out there that have messed with sutch a PC ( perhaps some of you Italiens).

I have found out that the BIOS battery is located in a Chip, with this text;

"SPRAGUE" "61Z14A100"

Can it be opend to change the cell, or must I get a new one (Where ?)

Regards
Multifusk

Hi
If the battery is loading it down so it won't boot,
clip the battery out. It won't save the setup but
should be able to boot then.
These are generally 3 cell NiCads. One can find similar
batteries for remote ( not cell phones ) portable phones.
If you go this way, remote
mount the cells, rather than on the mother board. That
way if they leak. it won't damage as much. I even put
them is a plastic bag. One should also connect with
single strand wire as the electrolyte can run up stranded
wire as well.
Be careful to follow polarity.
The cells do not have to be exactly the same shape,
just similar in size.
Dwight

I have found out that the BIOS battery is located in a Chip, with this text; "SPRAGUE" "61Z14A100"
Note the similarity of the 61Z14A100 to the DS1287.

ds1287.jpg

If you search these forums using "DS1287", you'll find lots of hits because the DS1287 was quote common.
And with the 61Z14A100, you'll have the same issues as with the DS1287.

Can it be opend to change the cell, or must I get a new one (Where ?)
If you find a replacement 61Z14A100, there's a chance that the internal battery will be dead or have little time left.

An option is to open up the top of the your 61Z14A100 and replace its battery. See http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm for an example of replacing the battery in a DS1287. I'm sure it will be the same for the 61Z14A100, but perhaps different pins are used. Be very careful.

That's just my problem. If i decide to split up the Chip, to find the Lithium cell.
I don't know what to find inside and i only have one shot at it. If I destroy the chip I have nothing.
I have in this Forum seen many good repairs of the Dallas Chip, but in my case i don't even know what pins to use
So if anyone has just a little hint, i would be gratefull

regards
Multifusk

That 61Z14A100 is not the real time clock chip! It's a 100 nS delay line, according to my reference. Leave it alone!

How about some in-focus photos of the chips on the motherboard? We might get a clue then.

Thanks for warning me.

A couple of months ago I took out the MB. At that time i did't know that the battery was inside a Chip, and i woundered where to find it. later I asembled it again, and asked in the CPU-World Forum. 2 members told me that it was located in the Sprague Chip, and pointed it out on the picture that I posted.
(se link earlyer in the thread)

To night, after Your warning I took out the Power sup. Harddisk and floppy, so that the hole of the MB is visibel, and THERE IT WAS, a nice Dallas 1287 chip

Thanks to you, i am back on the track.:D

regards
Multifusk

Thanks to you, i am back on the track.:D

If I ever visit Denmark, I'll let you buy me some of your wonderful beer. :)

If the Dallas chip is in a socket, you have several options.
  • You can try replacing it with a DS12887--this often works.
  • You can replace it with a DS1687, which might work.
  • You can grind into the chip you have and attach an external battery.
If it's not in a socket, you can either remove it and supply your own socket, or you can try grinding into it while it's still attached to the motherboard, which personally makes me uneasy.

But it's your board--so do whatever you have the courage for!

You are most welcome, anytime, I will serve you from the local Brewery. They make fine Beer.

I am not afraid of making the repare, with a new battery, there are so many fine pictures and links on how to do.

I hope to get the machine to work with this operation

When I am finnished with the Olivetti, I will find my old IBM's, to se if they still can work. I have 4. a PC from 1981 and a XT from 1983 and a XT-286 and a PS2-30

I wil post in the thread when the olivetti is fixed, (if i can)

regards
Multifusk.

The same here, because 2 diferent people (more clever than me) pointed it out from the picture.
But no harme done, one of these days, i will try to make the repair on the Dallas chip

Regards
Multifusk

Back