• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Introducing...me!

kishy

Veteran Member
It occurred to me that not only could I possibly find a hard drive here (RE: my thread in Wanted), but that I might actually enjoy it here (similar interests and whatnot).

So here I am, a college student from Ontario, Canada, with a vintage computing hobby. I define vintage differently from you, I'd bet, most likely because of my age. From my perspective, a 386 is a vintage computer, and anything pre-8088/8086 is antique. My interests are with my modern system used for light gaming and with the 8088-286 area.

Goals: pare down the 'collection of stuff' to be a set of spares only, have a couple of vintage x86 systems around, and gradually transition my website (currently functioning as a showcase and/or store) into a reference point for older technology once the stuff for sale is gone.

A specific goal: build or obtain an XT-class computer, ideally an actual IBM XT, or build a clone in an actual IBM XT case. The catch: ATA hard drive and VGA video to reduce costs associated with hard drive failure and monitor failure. Found the 8-bit ATA card, have dual-mode 8/16 bit VGA video card, have an XT-class motherboard...now hung up on finding a case.

There are a couple users here I've dealt/worked with previously; JohnElliott has been a massive help with a keyboard repurposing project, Allen assisted me with finding the original PS/2 mouse, and there are one or two other usernames I recognized from browsing around.

I suppose that's that...see you around?

Cheers

Welcome aboard!

Good luck with your XT project and the rest of your collection!

Sounds fun. You found an actual 8-bit ATA card or are you playing with one of the 8-bit IDE demo units some of the folks here are tinkering with?

Either way yeah you'll have fun here. Plus knowing a few folks and seeing some items come up for auction helps a bunch too.

So welcome and glad you started posting :)
- John

Welcome aboard!

Good luck with your XT project and the rest of your collection!

Thank you :)

Which corner of Ontario?

I like to adhere to the "you don't publicly disclose your actual location online" thing, so we'll say "one of the few places south of Detroit, MI".

Sounds fun. You found an actual 8-bit ATA card or are you playing with one of the 8-bit IDE demo units some of the folks here are tinkering with?

Either way yeah you'll have fun here. Plus knowing a few folks and seeing some items come up for auction helps a bunch too.

So welcome and glad you started posting :)
- John

I've actually tracked down an 8-bit ISA ATA card...don't have it yet but I've been told it's mine free when I pick it up, either late this week or early next. As I understand it the original 8-bit ATA cards were quite drive-specific and had significant limitations...hopefully I can get it to work with something I have. I have an 80mb Conner somewhere, I suspect that might do the trick since it has a "drive type" number.

Thanks for the welcome!

Back