• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Really old Computer Music and a couple of computers...

Zeela

Experienced Member
Thanks to wthorbjo, I now have an Atari 400 and A PCjr in my collection.

The Atari 400 with some games

The PCjr. I've always wanted one of these, and now actually own one!

I also just got a really "WOW L@@K R@RE" thing...
It's a "music"-single on vinyl with sounds from, and music performed by, two swedish computers from the 60-ies, the FACIT EDB 3 and DATASAAB D21. I've seen this kind of records before, but none with the FACIT as the "artist".

The FACIT EDB was first swedish computer that used transistors insted of tubes. It was built by Åtvidabergs Industrier AB (later FACIT AB) who had their HQ in the town where I live. So that's why I really wanted this record.

Note the accompanying letter, that describes (in english) what's on the record.

You mean if the truth came out that all of ABBA's music was in fact computer generated? Björn and Benny are just faces to a secret computer program... ooh, did I say too much now?

That's good, but if it played ABBA, that would be wonderful. :)
It would have been hard for the old 'puters to play ABBA in the late sixties, as ABBA wasn't invented then :)

Oh man! schweet find.

Is it the same record described here?:

http://www2.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/datasaab/musik.html
Nope, it's not the same record. But the B-side is probably the same as "Ein musikalisches Würfelspiel" from the record D21 in Memoriam.

I must hook up my old record player and listen to it. And maybe even make a recording of it on my PC.

Really cool find btw. So how did you find that, feebay? I never would have thought someone would record that on a record. That'd be really sweet to have in a collection for several computers. Wonder if there's older recordings out there. I have a working Pathé (my grandfather's ..or his mothers I can't remember exactly) with a pseudo pre-record type of disc it takes. It's similar to a Victrola. Be fun to have something way old on there.

Zeela found it at the Swedish auction site Tradera.com, actually owned by eBay but running indepently so far. We were several Swedish collectors bidding on that one, which drove up the price quite a bit. I don't know what the seller expected, but if I recall correctly it ended at more than ~$70. :shock: Then again it is a bit of one of a kind, which usually means anywhere below $100 is a good price.

I have a working Pathé (my grandfather's ..or his mothers I can't remember exactly) with a pseudo pre-record type of disc it takes. It's similar to a Victrola.
What's that? I've never heard of it before.

Zeela found it at the Swedish auction site Tradera.com, actually owned by eBay but running indepently so far. We were several Swedish collectors bidding on that one, which drove up the price quite a bit. I don't know what the seller expected, but if I recall correctly it ended at more than ~$70. :shock: Then again it is a bit of one of a kind, which usually means anywhere below $100 is a good price.
Carlsson is absolutely right... It was expensive, but I had to have it :)

I haven't decided if I should lend the record to the museum or not... But I probably will. Otherwise they definitively will get a recording of it.

I was down at the museum today and we made a recording of the record...
The results can be found here:
Side A
Side B

And getting the record to the mp3-files was a real retro adventure...
We recorded it through the loudspeaker on a portable record player into a microphone connected to a reel tape recorder. Then we connected the reel tape machine to the computer... So it was probably a bit lower quality than if than if we had used a record player directly connected to the computer :D

Yowsa! Personally I have a relatively modern turntable connected via a small RIAA amplifier directly to my PC. The turntable may need a bit of lubrication and TLC, but most of the time it works quite OK. It happens sometimes I put on a LP and listen through my headphones or computer speakers instead of playing MP3's. Besides today it has become hip to sell record players with built in memory card or USB devices, so you can get the music converted directly to that format.

Did people really speak like that in the early 1970's? :-O If I hadn't known better, I would have thought the record was made in 1956 or so.

Back