• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

for sale best offer: Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDT works!

shelikestoshiba

1.3 gb hard drive, PA1230U-T2C, more specs upon request. Comes with external floppy drive, memory card, mouse, put new battery in last year. I also have a new keyboard that goes with it if wanted.
Make an offer and we can figure out shipping.

Currently I have it at my parents' on the West Coast and I will be there in early December at which time I would be thrilled to ship it to someone who wants it and will use it. Beats putting it to pasture when someone might could use it!

I was going to recycle it with Toshiba, I have two other computers and don't use it anymore, but to my surprise a Tech Support Rep told me that these days more people elect to upgrade the hard drive: "There is a capacity for a much bigger hard drive." He said that and gave me references for two businesses who do this (one in Brooklyn and one in Oxnard, Cali) and indicated they had such information for other areas based on zip code.
I include a post from one of the moderators below from a thread about upgrading these old models to WIRELESS capacity as well, (FYI see below).

I bought it from the first owner while still under warranty in 1999, and used it
till 2006. The Satellite Pro 435CDT has Windows 95, also Microsoft Office loaded.

I just do not need it as I have a 2006 Toshiba Satellite and a 2007 MacBook and do not need three computers.

PCMCIA cards are standardized, but there is more than one type. Older machines use a 16-bit standard, while more recent ones use a 32-bit standard known as "CardBus". I'm not sure which type your 120MHz laptop has, could be either one, given it's age. If you don't know for sure, your best bet is to find an older card that is 16-bit, as it will work in a 16- or 32-bit slot. My personal recomendation is a Cisco 340, since I know that they are compatible with the older hardware. I use one daily, and just bought a second one two days ago on eBay. It cost me $14.00 + 8.00 for shipping. If you search eBay for "Cisco 340" you should be able to find one for around that same price too.
--T

Last edited:
shelikestoshiba(by the way, great username), I suggest you offer it up on auction at either the vintage computer marketplace HERE or the chuckwagon auction site as a retro gaming rig.

Unless a 120MHz Pentium box has suddenly become vintage, that is...
Heck, anything single core is damn near vintage now. ;)

@shelikestoshiba: That ol' girl's still got lotsa life in her! It's still a useful machine with the right OS. Why not load something like DSL (DamdSmallLinux) on it and use it for virus safe browsing, secure online banking, and to get extra geek points?

Hey Guys! Nice to meet you.

Hmm, well, Chuck, it was my impression that 1997 was the old days for LAPTOPS. I can move it if the board moderators want me to, but I had thought this was the right place?

Nathan, it is a bit slow for any gaming, though it does have a KISS pinball the previous owner installed. :rolleyes:

Ole Juul , I think it's got life too! But I don't really need it myself. Heck, I do all that stuff you mention at my j-o-b, where we have firewalls up the wazoo.
I score my geek points from having worked on a Compugraphic ADvantage up till 1988 in newspaper work, among other thangs. :)

But yeah, I could auction, yet that has a time value generally, doesn't it? And I can't really deal with it till I get back to Cali in December.

later!!

yeah those are nice classic machines, but classic is farrrr from vintage. if this was a 286-powered toshiba laptop it'd be the right area. :)

a mod should move this to off-topic for sale.

here's a "vintage" toshiba laptop for example.

toshiba_3100e.jpg

a 3100e :)

Request for a MOD to move my thread to off topic marketplace, Please?

ooh, Mike, I don't know but that old model looks more like what we used to disdainfully call a "word processor"! LOL Like one of those old Brother models. But I respect your call on it.

Request for a MOD to move my thread to off topic marketplace, Please?

ooh, Mike, I don't know but that old model looks more like what we used to disdainfully call a "word processor"! LOL Like one of those old Brother models. But I respect your call on it.
The T3100 is FAR from being just a word processor. :) It is a great computer and in my opinion has one of the best screens ever made. With a working hard drive, which is actually likely with the "e" model, this is a very functional machine in the hands of someone proficient in DOS or similar. People on this list even run web servers on older machines! I think Toshiba laptops have been good for a long time. :)

@shelikestoshiba: Please forgive my rant! I'm just offering a little perspective on low resource machines. :)

The T3100 is FAR from being just a word processor. :) It is a great computer and in my opinion has one of the best screens ever made. With a working hard drive, which is actually likely with the "e" model, this is a very functional machine in the hands of someone proficient in DOS or similar. People on this list even run web servers on older machines! I think Toshiba laptops have been good for a long time. :)

Good rant! No problem! I think they have as well, and they certainly hold up for many years when treated with respect.

For me the word processor jibe was just something I heard a lot in newspaper composing rooms as we had mainframes in our environment for 3 decades. But it got a response! :p

Hey Guys! Nice to meet you.

Hmm, well, Chuck, it was my impression that 1997 was the old days for LAPTOPS. I can move it if the board moderators want me to, but I had thought this was the right place?

Good grief, no--if we're talking PC compatibles, laptops are almost as old as the PC itself--the Grid 1101 was 1982. The Visual Commuter was 1983. The HP 110 was 1984; the DG One looks like most modern laptops and comes from 1984:

DG1_03.jpg

LCD technology was very primitive then. I liked the DG One but could barely read the screen. Note that the NiCd batteries would give 8-10 hours of operation--something that modern laptops are hard put to match. And the keyboard is just about the best that I've ever seen on a laptop.

Last edited:
Well, it seems there was not much interest in this laptop.

So, this is "Last Call"!

Can you give a quote for shipping to Ontario Canada please?

If shipping cost ends up being low enough I may be able to hook you up with a buyer (no guarantees at this point though).

Last edited:
Well, it seems there was not much interest in this laptop.

It seems to be a pretty nice laptop, but if you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism, it's really not very good business practice to try to sell an item that you don't actually have in your hands. That's pretty much what has kept me from looking at it further, and I'm probably not the only one.

Let me pass the word along, I might get a person to make an offer for you. Have you been able to actually get it back, or is it still somewhere else? Pics of it as a rig would also be nice, I can refer people to something.

Those laptops make excellent Linux boxes (I have two similar ones).

Nathan

I still use a similar old laptop to interface to the security system at work (serial port :) )

Speaking of the T3100 I've got a T3200 here...haven't used it in a while, but I did a lot of assembly language programming on it.

I still use a similar old laptop to interface to the security system at work (serial port :) )

Speaking of the T3100 I've got a T3200 here...haven't used it in a while, but I did a lot of assembly language programming on it.
Great machines; I've got both, a 3100 bought new, and a 3200. I still use the 3100 for RS-232 troubleshooting in the field since it's one of the few "laptops" that have two serial ports plus a modem; folks think it's a fancy special test instrument and it's less hassle than my HP 18179A analyzer.

Last edited:
all's well as ends well

all's well as ends well

Thanks, folks, but it went to cgrape! And I wish it well in its new life, whether or not he chooses to replace hard drive. :p
To ALL OF YOU who offered to help recently, THANK YOU. I had an earlier offer but do appreciate your consideration.

Nathan, thanks for the input in any event. Yeah! A friend of mine wrote a book on Linux (Gary Wilson), and I hear great things about it.

Thrashbarg, I had it in my hands from 1999 till 2008, when I hand carried it to my father on the Amtrak, and he dutifully recharged the battery on a monthly basis until I personally shipped it to cgrape who lives in the same state as my dad. Had you been actually interested (rather than merely interested in finding another small bone to pick as others have here), I am sure you could have verified the above with a quick PM. So no, it was not a constructive crit. Live and learn, Dude.

Last edited:
Yep.I did replace the HD and while I was at it,upgraded the OS to Win98.Next is to upgrade the RAM to it's max.
I had to replace the CD-ROM when the original died,that was kinda fun,a new experience with these PCs.
All in all,it was a GREAT experience!(Unlike the earlier one with another poster!)
cgrape2

Back