• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Apple Beige G3 and Purple I-Mac

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 Beige G3 towers, 1 beige G3 desktop and 1 Bondi Blue G3 iMac.

I know they all work, but I am not sure of their specs and Oses since its been a while since I turned any of them on. I know that some of the beige G3s have some upgrades in them.

So anyone out there interested in buying them? I can get the specs and post them if there is interest, just let me know.

I, heaven help me, might be tempted by one the beige G3 towers. I'd be especially interested if it had a Mac-compatible CD writer and/or upgraded graphics - onboard graphics were standard, but could be upgraded to a real PCI graphic card.

Also, can it be used with a standard CRT monitor, or does it require a special Mac monitor?

What sort of price would you have in mind? PM if you prefer.

I, heaven help me, might be tempted by one the beige G3 towers. I'd be especially interested if it had a Mac-compatible CD writer and/or upgraded graphics - onboard graphics were standard, but could be upgraded to a real PCI graphic card.

I think that one does have an upgraded graphics card but I will need to check.

Also, can it be used with a standard CRT monitor, or does it require a special Mac monitor?

Standard VGA monitors can you used, you might need an adapter though.

What sort of price would you have in mind? PM if you prefer.
[/quote]

I don't really know what is fair for these. But I'd probably hope for about $50 + shipping.

I will over the next day or two post the specs of the machines so people can see if they are truly interested in them.

Ok here goes

Beige G3 Tower 1 dated 12/2/98: - Sold
300Mhz G3 1Mb Cache
760Mb of Ram
OS X (10.2.8 )
Photoshop 7.0
Onboard Video (6Mb RAM). Works with a VGA monitor, but you need an adapter.
2 IDE Hdds, 1 17Gb (6Gb for the OS and 11gb for storage) and 1 12Gb
CD-RW Drive
Floppy (not connected or tested)
ZIP Drive (also not connected or tested, presumed IDE)
PCI USB Card with 2 external
A/V Personality Card
No Mouse or Keyboard.

Boots and appears to work fine, and is pretty clean inside. The outside needs to be wiped down, which I will do.

Beige G3 Tower 2 dated 6/1/98:
233Mhz G3 w/ 512kb of Cache
288Mb of RAM
Mac OS 9.0
Webstar Server Suite 4.3
Filemaker Pro 5 (server)
Timbuktu Pro
Onboard Video (6Mb RAM). Works with a VGA monitor, but you need an adapter.
6 GB IDE HDD
Floppy
IDE Zip Drive
24x IDE CD-Rom
A/V Personality Card
No mouse or keyboard

It is missing one of the front panels and is very dirty but is completely functional. I will clean it thoroughly before sending it out.

Beige G3 Desktop dated 10/29/98:
266Mhz G3 w/ 512kb of Cache
192Mb of RAM
Mac OS 9.1
IE 5
Onboard Video (ATI Mach 64 2Mb RAM). Works with a VGA monitor, but you need an adapter.
4 GB IDE HDD
Floppy
Audio and Modem Personality Card
PCI USB Card (2 ports)
No mouse or keyboard

This one is a bit dusty, but not dirty. I will clean it thoroughly before i send it out. It starts up just fine and seems to work ok.

*Edit: Added this machine

The Purple iMac dated 11/9/98
PowerPC G3 running at 233Mhz
60Mb of RAM
Onboard graphics 6Mb
4Gb HDD
Mac OS 9.2.2
IE 5 and office 2007 (and much more but I don't have a list).
24x CD Rom

Its pretty clean just needs a good wipe down (which I will do before I ship it). Boots up, and everything appears to work fine. Pictures are here I do not have a mouse or keyboard for it.

Hope this helps you decide if you want any of these machines. I'll take some pictures if people like.

If no one buys these machines I am probably going to have to junk them, so make me an offer (and help me fund my antique computer habit).

Last edited:
I have some Apple Monitor > VGA Adapters if that helps anyone. I have more adapters than I do machines actually. Also if I can find it have a video card that will only work with Macs however I know nothing about it.

I'll step up for Tower #1 since it has the RW drive at $50+shipping. Let me know the shipping charges, and send a PM with your e-mail for receiving PayPal, or other payment instructions.

If you want to hold off a few days and see if you get a better offer, that's fine with me, as this isn't something I really 'need'. 8-)

If you want to hold off a few days and see if you get a better offer, that's fine with me, as this isn't something I really 'need'. 8-)

Sold. I will PM you and we can take it from there.

If it sweetens the deal on the other 2 units I think I might have a CD-RW drive or two lying around that I can add to them. I also think I have some RAM that I can throw into them to get them to around 512Mb each.

This one is back in the running for a sale:

The Purple iMac dated 11/9/98
PowerPC G3 running at 233Mhz
60Mb of RAM
Onboard graphics 6Mb
4Gb HDD
Mac OS 9.2.2
IE 5 and office 2007 (and much more but I don't have a list).
24x CD Rom

Its pretty clean just needs a good wipe down (which I will do before I ship it). Boots up, and everything appears to work fine. Pictures are here I do not have a mouse or keyboard for it.

I have some Apple Monitor > VGA Adapters if that helps anyone. I have more adapters than I do machines actually. Also if I can find it have a video card that will only work with Macs however I know nothing about it.

How much would you be asking for one of those monitor adapters, including shipping to 87740? :cool:

Just an update. The G3 arrived today, shipped in good condition via UPS. Carried it upstairs tonight; connected a Mac-clone monitor, mouse, and keyboard; and it started right up.

Everything appears functional and as-advertised.

In case anyone was wondering, Lutiana is a stand-up guy to do business with. :thumbsup:

In case anyone was wondering, Lutiana is a stand-up guy to do business with. :thumbsup:

Thanks a ton, sorry about the admin password, I cannot remember what it is (I set that system up more than 4 years ago).

Any one have any ideas on how to reset the admin password on Mac OS X (10.2.8)?

I have done this on newish Apple OS's (post 10.2) but it may work for you as well because of a lost password (copied/pasted):

I wrote about this a while back on my blog, hackaddict, but it was such a popular post I thought I’d give it a revisit. A lot of people buy used Macs, and they often run into the problem of not knowing the admin password, so here is a way to get around not knowing the admin password on Macs.

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
* mount -uw /
* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
* shutdown -h now
4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

Hope it works!
http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

another thing to try would be this:

http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2003/06/16.1.shtml

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
* mount -uw /
* shutdown -h now
4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

This works, I use it all the time at work. Kids think they're clever in not giving me their password for the 1:1 Laptop program (they don't want me installing the 8e6 Filter software.) So I just make a new admin account and install it, they're always so surprised. :p

1. Reboot
* mount -uw /
* shutdown -h now

Well I gave it a shot. "No Such File or Directory."
And now the computer only boots to a prompt, sh-2.05a# .

What the hell is going on with OSX? All of this "var", "rm", "mount" stuff? :confused: Guess I missed a few years - fell asleep in a comfortable world of MacOS 7, 8, and 9 and woke up in some sort of Linux hell. :evil:

I feel like Rip Van Winkle... :(

----------------
Should have saved this for the "Rants" section. ;)

Well, I know you probably put a lot of effort into getting OSX installed and running correctly on the G3...

...but I just reformatted the primary hard drive and installed MacOS 9. The result, I'm as happy as a pig in mud. :D

Thanks again. It really is a nice machine, and I still couldn't be happier with the transaction.

-Bob

Well, I know you probably put a lot of effort into getting OSX installed and running correctly on the G3...

...but I just reformatted the primary hard drive and installed MacOS 9. The result, I'm as happy as a pig in mud. :D

Thanks again. It really is a nice machine, and I still couldn't be happier with the transaction.

-Bob

It actually was not that hard to get OS X on there, but it won't take anything newer than 10.2. If you ever want to go back to OS X then just google it for the instructions on how.

Also, I still have the other 3 Macs listed above if anyone is interested. I'd prefer to sell them then recycle them.

Back