• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cable filters and if anyone has used one before?

I'll answer in Yoda:

Ferrite shields have used have I? Yes.
Much interference they have reduced.
Sound better, my AM radio has.
Clearer picture, my TV display shows.
Hard to do, cable wrapping can be, but worth it yes.

Sorry to break your bubble, but it seems to be a bot, spammer or both. I ran the phrase "Cable filters and if anyone has used one before?" through Google and got approximately 3,800 hits.

It seems a follow-up will get posted, signed L. MacArthur:
http://www.electronicspoint.com/cable-filters-and-if-anyone-has-used-one-before-t188410.html
http://www.avrev.com/forum/off-topic-posts/4120-cable-filters-if-anyone-has-used-one-before.html
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1390473
http://www.topix.com/forum/business/electronics/TUH9P5IQIH5MQUHFE

So yes, a moderator can close or simply remove this thread before the follow-up bot gets here.

Actually, the digression into Yoda-speak has made this thread interesting. Good catch though.

Close the thread now, not will I.

Sorry to break your bubble, but it seems to be a bot, spammer or both. I ran the phrase "Cable filters and if anyone has used one before?" through Google and got approximately 3,800 hits.

It seems a follow-up will get posted, signed L. MacArthur:
ht-and-if-anyone-has-used-one-before-t188410.html
htts-if-anyone-has-used-one-before.html
httusiness/electronics/TUH9P5IQIH5MQUHFE

So yes, a moderator can close or simply remove this thread before the follow-up bot gets here.

Don't post links like that.. it will only boost the google rating of their pages, which is their aim to begin with.

While I certainly recognize that this probably is by a bot, what the heck was the point?

It's not like said bot is selling something...maybe bots have grown the ability to dynamically think and want to talk with real people :)

The point seems to market a device to unscramble pay-per-view cable TV, which amusingly enough is referred to as filtering the signal. I don't think a ferrite coil on its own will do any good. :)

......... DO they work????

:eek:

(note: i'm pretty sure these can be bought at a radio shack for next to nothing)

i wouldn't risk it actually, eventually the cable company will find out even if the filter actually does do what it says. i think you wouldn't get in any trouble per se, but you'd see a whopping huge cable bill.

Last edited:
The point seems to market a device to unscramble pay-per-view cable TV, which amusingly enough is referred to as filtering the signal. I don't think a ferrite coil on its own will do any good. :)
On cable TV I've heard that it's possible to put a notch filter in the line to stop the cable box itself communicating. AFAIK The idea is that you go for all the channels you want for a month, get them on, then insert the filter. ...and what do the cable company do when they haven't heard from your box for 12 months? Large bill I suspect.

You are correct Nige. The filter prevents the box from contacting the mother ship. The main downside is that you have to have a working cable subscription, so they know who you are. The filter prevents the box from transmitting the purchase info back to the cable company for pay per view movies, sports, adult, etc.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the system does a routine check and when it realized it hasn't heard from its good friend the cable box it Polls the box to get the info. The box attempts to send the info back (blocked by the filter) so it thinks its being a good boy while the mothership is still wondering about its lost orphan.

As you can imagine multibillion dollar cable companies know about this stuff about 15 seconds after it hits the market. After a few unsuccessful attempts at polling you are set up for an in-person visit. At this point either you remove the filter or they do, the box radios home, your bill goes through the roof, and in a worst case scenario the cable company has a pretty good theft of services claim agaist you

(information current as of a year or 2 ago, I switched to Dish Network)

-Lance

So the spambots try to advertise a product that is not only illegal, but may cause you lots of grief, fines and perhaps even a few months in jail if you can't pay the fines? :roll: Oh well, I suppose that is why they call it spam, mostly marketing bogus or useless products trying to fish unsuspecting but thrifty people.

Like most stuff in that category, they sell from non-US territories and avoid some laws usually. Bank what they can (say promise you free ppv, etc for only $100) then if they're lucky get 1000 sales or something before taking down their site, accounts, etc and moving somewhere else.

I think a lot of it is a "what are you gonna do?" clause, I mean they're sorta covered if they do it "right" and they assume since you were intentionally trying to do this too you probably won't tattle on yourself to blame them.

This is OT anyway so I'll share a story. I got this awesome (not) call when I was unemployed years back from Cut-Co knife sales wanting to give me a free training seminar to sell their stuff. Anyway turned into more of a fishing game so I passed (it's a call 100 people and ask them for names to try, etc, etc when I specifically asked upfront that these are people that called THEM not visa verse).

So they're a good (overpriced) product nothing wrong. They told us about the Ginsu scam which was actually pretty funny/smart. Everyone remembers that knife and the commercials with it cutting through everything and they sell it with a life time guarantee free replacement for life bla bla. So they sold a bunch (millions) and filed for bankruptcy. This invalidated the life time guarantee and they got their money. Later they did it one more time with the Ginsu2 which they cut through their first knife. Same sales pitch, same "oops, we're folding".

It's kinda crazy what legal scams are put out there.

Back