• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Serial Terminal issues - procomm

offensive_Jerk

Veteran Member
On my recently acquired XT, I installed a Startech 8bit ISA serial card with a parallel port. I then took a copy of Procomm I downloaded and ran it from the floppy.

I bought a null modem a while back, and dug it out. I am 99% sure the one I found is actually the null modem.

I was trying to setup my Ubuntu (its the beta release) box to enable serial logins. I was messing around with that for awhile, but didn't seem to get a connection to it.

I then took an old Tandy 4800 HD that no longer boots from HDD. I took the null modem and hooked it to the serial port on the IBM and the Tandy. I created an MS-DOS startup floppy, and booted from that.

After it booted, I inserted a floppy that has Procomm installed and ran it.

I put the IBM into host mode. The Tandy then gets the data displayed on the IBM screen, but I can't type from the Tandy Keyboard.
When I type from the IBM keyboard, the data does get sent to the Tandy Screen.

When I put the Tandy in Host mode, The IBM displays nothing. It does appear type commands though, but it's not shown on the IBM screen, but on the Tandy.

I set both procomms to vt100 emulation, and changed all the modem speeds around, and it didn't seem to help.

What am I doing wrong?

What does your null modem look like? i.e., is RTS connected to CTS and DSR connected to DTR on both ends?

It sounds as if the IBM side isn't getting all the signals it needs.

Procomm to Procomm doesn't need any status lines; crossed pins 2 & 3 (and ground) are sufficient, so your cable should work.

However...

Host mode will wait until it sees a Carrier Detect from the modem (i.e. forever in your case); odd that it apparently transmits though...

Forget Host mode (at least for now); leave both ends in normal ANSI terminal mode, full duplex with matching baud and parity, and whatever you type on one should appear on the other. If that only works in one direction you may have a hardware problem; try jumpering pins 2 and 3 in the female connector at the far end with a paper clip or piece of wire and see if you can see what you type (you should be in FDX mode for this).

...I put the IBM into host mode. The Tandy then gets the data displayed on the IBM screen, but I can't type from the Tandy Keyboard.
When I type from the IBM keyboard, the data does get sent to the Tandy Screen.

When I put the Tandy in Host mode, The IBM displays nothing. It does appear type commands though, but it's not shown on the IBM screen, but on the Tandy.

I set both procomms to vt100 emulation, and changed all the modem speeds around, and it didn't seem to help.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a setting for ¨Local Echo¨?...

Ok.

I put the emulation both on ansi.
I put the modem baud both at the same speed. I tried various speeds, did not make any difference.

Still appears to have the same effect. I can type on the IBM, and it shows up on the IBM screen, but not on the Tandy screen.

When I type on the Tandy, nothing happens on either screen.

I put the Tandy on Half Duplex, and then I could type and it would show up on the Tandy screen but not the ibm.

I also put them both on half duplex and the results were the same.

It's procomm version 2.3

Back