• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Pile of old units

It looks like there are two Rainbows, their monitors, manuals and softwares on the shelves.

A few other ones rarely heard about (or unfamiliar with on this side).

I was hoping to see a Sage II or IV. However, even if I had saw one, shipping would have be the deal killer.

Noticed the Morrow Micro Decision in photo #11. It is standing on it's side and slightly yellowed. Another Morrow in photo #7. These are rare and would be a nice addition to somebody's collection. I'm surprised the wall shelf in photo #4 can hold all of that weight!

There is a NZ-made Poly there too, in two parts. It's the wierd beige looking one with the handles with what seems to be "RLMS N 10" on the label. I guess needs to be mated with the square thing with "Poly 2" on it.

These were originally designed for NZ schools back in 81 or so. Historically, they are of significance here.

Tempting but...they are quite large and heavy. I'd really have nowhere to put it. By the condition it looks like it would be another massive restoration effort.

Tez

Did anyone let the seller know, yes there's interest? Maybe point the person here if they want to offer things up to even non-NZ folks. I was going to but I'd have to register and although it's lazy on my part didn't feel I should clutter the site with another user that probably wouldn't buy things and isn't local.

Lots of neat stuff there, quite a few systems I can't identify too which is kinda neat in itself lol (well to me anyway).

Did anyone let the seller know, yes there's interest? Maybe point the person here if they want to offer things up to even non-NZ folks. I was going to but I'd have to register and although it's lazy on my part didn't feel I should clutter the site with another user that probably wouldn't buy things and isn't local.

Lots of neat stuff there, quite a few systems I can't identify too which is kinda neat in itself lol (well to me anyway).

Trademe is odd in that you can never contact the seller directly. You have to ask them a "question", which could be "please contact me, my email is who@wherever". The questions and answers are always shown publically as you can see. There are quite a few there already.

If you do want me to put your email address to the seller for "negotiations and inquires" barythrin feel free to PM your email and I'll post it up.

Tez

In picture 13 there's a Compaq SLT/286 laptop. A cool little machine.

Yes, you are right. I didn't notice that. They look like a lunchbox when folded up don't they.

There are quite a few more comments on the listing now. It seems to have attracted a lot of interest locally, especially the Polys. I thought they would. They are highly collectable to New Zealand vintage computer enthusiasts.

I'm going to have to let these ones go I'm afraid. Room and finances won't allow any more at this time.

Tez

Yes, you are right. I didn't notice that. They look like a lunchbox when folded up don't they.

There are quite a few more comments on the listing now. It seems to have attracted a lot of interest locally, especially the Polys. I thought they would. They are highly collectable to New Zealand vintage computer enthusiasts.

I'm going to have to let these ones go I'm afraid. Room and finances won't allow any more at this time.

Tez

Yes, almost, but they are more like todays laptop, only fatter.

It has a grayscale VGA display 1.44MB Floppy, and a 60 MB IDE HDD. (If I remember the size correctly)

A nice little machine, and worth rescuing :)

SLT 286...
One of my mates found me one at the side of the road, well cute, unfortunately well "had-it" Someone had hacked the capacitors out of the power supply, I fixed that, adapted the (broken) connector for power in, found a new hard disk worked out how to fit it (the compaq one was a little flatter) and still the disk interface refused to work properly. I might go back to it one day, as it is such a cute machine, but they seem to be very common over here & I picked one up fully working for a fiver a few weeks later.

Looks like there's some well nice stuff in the rest of the pile though.

Yes, I've got one of these and it has to be the cutest computer in my collection.

Which reminds me, I still have to tackle the battery replacement task at some stage. I have managed to open it up and re-assemble it again. However, the battery replacement looked like a mission so it was defered until I could psych myself up for it.

Tez

Does anyone know what computer is on image 15?

Yes, that's a New Zealand-manufactured Poly computer from Polycorp. It was designed for use in schools, a little like the BBC computer in Britain although it never achieved the widespread use in classrooms that computer did.

There are some articles on the Poly and its fight to get into New Zealand schools in the magazine at http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/bits-and-bytes/issue1.htm

I would love to own one.

Tez

I think there are far more unsuccessful, often inferior but overpriced school computers than there are smash hits like the BBC gotta be said to have been.

Back