• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CiderPress Doesn't Work with Win7

Drken

Experienced Member
I installed Windows 7 this past week, and tonight I found that CiderPress doesn't work with Win7. The program will run, but when you go to Add files to a CF card, it won't write them. Has something to do with the fact that Windows doesn't see the CF card as being formatted. It will read the contents, but when you go to write to the CF card, no go. No specific error generated here, only a "0 files written" message.

I installed Windows 7 this past week, and tonight I found that CiderPress doesn't work with Win7. The program will run, but when you go to Add files to a CF card, it won't write them. Has something to do with the fact that Windows doesn't see the CF card as being formatted. It will read the contents, but when you go to write to the CF card, no go. No specific error generated here, only a "0 files written" message.

Did it work with Vista? Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Yes, I have tried running it in compatability mode (WinXP compatability) but no dice. I never used Vista (the one laptop I purchased that had Vista on it was immediately converted to an XP machine for compatability with the rest of my network here). But I did try CiderPress in Vista compatability mode as well, and no dice.

You might be out of luck till someone updates the app.

The driver architecture was one of the major changes between XP and Vista/7, so my guess is CiderPress probably does not have direct access to the hardware, but then again it may have something to do with how Vista/7 uses drives.

There may not be a work around.

Windows XP Mode

Windows XP Mode

Did you pick up Win 7 Pro or Ultimate? I highly recommend the download and installation of Windows XP Mode for either Pro or Ultimate. If you don't have either of those, then you may be out of luck until someone updates the program.

I purchase the Home Premium 3-pack for my home computers so I do not have the Ultimate Professional God-All Super-duper Edition. I have tried setting it to run as administrator, as well as in both Vista and XP modes, but to no avail. I believe that it has to do with the way in which Win7 sees the CF card as unformatted. CiderPress will run just fine, and you can view the contents of the partitions on the CF card, but when you go to copy files to the card, the problem arises. Simply does not work.

If I understand you correctly Win7 sees the card as unformatted even if you try to browse to it in explorer?

Does the CF card work fine outside of Ciderpress? (IE Can you copy data to and from it).

The CF card works fine on a Toshiba WinXP system I have. On the Win7 systems, CiderPress will delete files on the CF card but will not write (Add) files to the CF card. Win7 sees the card unformatted, just as WinXP does. I have CiderPress set to Compatability mode with Windows XP SP3 and to run as Administrator for all users.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. I have tried to figure out Source Forge, who is supposed to be supporting CiderPress, and after hours of trying to figure out their system (if there is one), I have given up, utterly frustrated.

Will there ever be a Linux port of this program? That would be the best thing ever! I can't get it to work with Wine at all last I tried.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.
I booted up a virtual machine running under OSX, hosting a Windows 7 RC candidate (the only W7 I have). In this highly virtualized environment, I was able to read and write whole CF images with CiderPress. Obviously, this differs from your situation in the virtual-ness as well as the level of OS I'm using. But I am not convinced CiderPress is at fault here.

I do have more than one CompactFlash reader - my older one is not supported well by the latest operating systems (I'm having trouble with it under OSX 10.6.2). But my newer CF reader is working great, even with W7 and CiderPress. That might be one avenue to explore for you.

David -

I've taken your suggestion to heart, & ordered a new CF reader. I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow so that I have it to play with over the holiday weekend. I'll let you know if that works or not. To be honest, I'm not holding out much hope at this point since I tried 3 different CF readers and none did the trick. But I figured it was worth the shot to try a completely brand new Sandisk reader & see what results I get.

I'm wondering if it isn't the fact that I'm using the 32-bit version of Win7 instead of the 64-bit version...

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!

Ken

Well, my new CF reader arrived finally and that didn't do it. I still can not use CiderPress on my Win7 systems to Add any files to the CF card. Very frustrating. I tried the SourceForge site, and that just added greatly to my frustrations. Obviously one needs to be fluent in hex-speak to communicate there and I'm just a lowly mortal speaking English. I can't seem to get any answers.

I now have 2 Win7 systems. One is a Toshiba laptop that came with Win7 Home Premium installed. The other system is a custom-built tower unit that I installed Win7 Home Premium on from scratch - as in, I formatted the hard drive and did a clean install of Win7. Both are 32-bit versions.

If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them. This seems to be the sole place to get answers.

Well, finally the solution! Seems that CiderPress WILL work with Win7 provided that, when you go to Add files to the CF card, you press the RETURN key and don't use the mouse click.

Back