• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone use ZIP drives on 5160s?

offensive_Jerk

Veteran Member
I would like to use an external 100mb Zip disk drive on my 5160 running DOS v5.

I currently have the device plugged into the parallel port on my CGA card.

I have some drivers that I downloaded from somewhere a while ago, but not quite sure what to do with them. The folder has lots of files on, and some setup programs for Win95. I think the dos drivers are in there too. I know there is something with Guest.exe you need.

Does anyone have any tips, or a lead on some drivers?

I seem to be getting issues reading 360k floppys when I transfer them to my 486 computer with a 1.2mb drive, copy the files, and then put them back in my XT. Many times my 5150 and 5160 cannot read the disks after that, or struggle with them. I format the disk on my XT, then put it in the 486. The 486 detects that its 360k. I copy the files fine, but when I put the disk back into my IBMs, they always have issues reading the data.

Also, it would be nice to copy bigger files.

Even if you can move the files to your 5160, I am pretty sure, the drivers need a 286. There exist a programm called "palmzip", but sadly thats not freeware.

Does anyone have any tips, or a lead on some drivers?
As said above, I don't think you can run the Zip on a processor that old with existing drivers.
I copy the files fine, but when I put the disk back into my IBMs, they always have issues reading the data.
This sounds like the drives are not aligned the same. Do you have a spare 360k drive that you can put in your other computer? That would solve the transfer problem, if it is alignment. A different 1.2 might also solve it.

It's worth the money ... pay for it. The author (Klaus) spent a considerable amount of time reverse engineering the protocol.

Also, this topic has been discussed many times before on the forum - use Google or the built in search function to find those threads.

Sorry about that.
I did google, but apparently not good enough. Kept getting those stupid driver sites.
I think I will pay for this, it's pretty nice.

Has anyone tried using the Iomega drives with a V20 installed in place of the 8088? That might be enough.

I recall I did get it to work on my 5160 (which has a V20) - I need to try and repeat that, I'm not 100% sure. But I spent considerable time finding out that it also depends on the parallel card used, without being able to find out the exact cause.
For the Iomega drivers, you also need at least DOS 5.

As I networked all XT's and AT's with Novell Lite now, I have the ZIP attached only to the XT-286.

Edit: I was about to buy PalmZip, but I it only works with ZIP100, and mine is 250.

Last edited:
Do you recall how much memory was used by the drivers per chance?

The only thing I don't like about palmzip is how long it takes to count the bytes free after you DIR. It will list the directories and then chug on when it's going to display the bytes free information.
I suppose it's not really palmzip's fault though. I have been using DIR /B and that works better (when I remember to use it.)

I suppose partitioning the ZIP disk may help too.

Looks like my CGA card may be having issues. After hooking the ZIP up to the parallel port, I have been getting more corruption on the screen. Also had the PC give me a long beep followed by two short beeps suggesting video card error.

I made another post in the wanted section about that though.

It works periodically now. I have a parallel card in my 5150, so maybe I will try that out.

Last edited:
PLEASE DISREGARD If using an 8088 or 8086. However if using an 80286 or above this will work for you.

Got one running on a 5150 with tiny turbo 286 using just the IOMEGA drivers :p. The files you will need are:

aspippm1.sys
nibble.lim
guest.exe
guest.ini

Make a iomega directory on your C: drive MD C:\iomega.

copy above files into it.

In your config.sys file add the following line:

device=c:\iomega\aspippm1.sys file=nibble.lim /scan /quiet

In your autoexec.bat file add the following
path=c:\iomega;c:\dos; and whatever else you add here

This will load the device driver and set path to search the iomega directory. When you need to access the drive type GUEST and it will assign a drive letter for your zip drive.

This is how I got mine to work. Remember to access the full 100MB zip disks you should be running DOS 5.
The files are attached for your convienence.:grin:

Attachments

• iomega.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I downloaded the trial version and it appears to work...
Too bad it only lasts 7 minutes.... Trial's up....

i haven't read the thread past this post yet, but palmzip is an awesome little piece of software for XT-class machines. i found it useful enough to pay the $10 for the full version. it's well worth it.

it's a bit (read: extremely) slow when writing and calculating free space, but quite zippy (pun intended) doing reads. if using it on a low-end 286, it's MUCH faster. i've found myself using it on my tandy 1000tx a whole lot as well.

Everyone please disregard my post about using the IOMEGA drivers. They only work for me cause I have a tiny turbo 286 accelerator board in mine and that's why it works for me. When I disable the tiny turbo the system will refuse to boot if I have the Iomega drivers in my config.sys. So please do not use these drivers unless you have at least a 286 cpu. My bad and please accept my appologies. :( Use Palmzip instead it's only $10.00. :D

Everyone please disregard my post about using the IOMEGA drivers. They only work for me cause I have a tiny turbo 286 accelerator board in mine and that's why it works for me. When I disable the tiny turbo the system will refuse to boot if I have the Iomega drivers in my config.sys. So please do not use these drivers unless you have at least a 286 cpu. My bad and please accept my appologies. :( Use Palmzip instead it's only $10.00. :D

Too bad I didn't read this earlier. Now my system refuses to boot. :)
Will have to fix the config.sys, but ran out of time.

Sorry about that OJ. Just boot from floppy and remove the device line for the iomega driver file. My bad I didn't research enough.:(

No worries.

Those drivers will come in handy, though, on my 486.
Kinda hard to find working ones, Iomega depleted them off of their site.
Also thanks for the information, Since I bought mine all from thrifts with no documentation and never used zips before, this will come in handy.

Back