• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM keylocks for PC and XT

modem7

10k Member
An IBM option for the IBM PC and IBM XT was a keylock, that fits over the power supply switch.
* The key controls the powering off/on of the computer.
* The keylock can only be fitted/removed when the key is in the ON position.
* The keylock prevents the computer from being opened.

A few keylocks are on eBay presently at eBay item 300380110609. I am not connected in any way to the sale.

Interesting for sure...though I think the term "keylock" is more accurately applied to "locks which disable the use of the keyboard" that just so happen to have a physical key.

Neat find, I'm guessing it works just by flipping the switch as the key turns?

Interesting for sure...though I think the term "keylock" is more accurately applied to "locks which disable the use of the keyboard" that just so happen to have a physical key.
I consider "keylock" to be simply a lock activated by a physical key, irrespective of whether the lock controls physical access, or keyboard, or power, or whatever. In the early 80s, my CP/M computer had a keylock to power it on/off.

Neat find, I'm guessing it works just by flipping the switch as the key turns?
Yes (I know because I already have one of these locks).

I have one two of these as well - one was installed and one was in the box. It is a rare option, and should remain as such. ;-0

I consider "keylock" to be simply a lock activated by a physical key, irrespective of whether the lock controls physical access, or keyboard, or power, or whatever. In the early 80s, my CP/M computer had a keylock to power it on/off.

My MAD box uses a multi-position key to turn it on or off, or to disable the keyboard or reset the system. And you can't remove the case top unless the system is powered off.

Anyone who buys these and installs them, please be careful to keep the key(s) with the machine, tape the key to the outside of the case when storing it, etc. - don't let the machine fall into someone else's lap without a key down the line - it's a very unfortunate experience.

Back