• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My introduction

tipo158

Experienced Member
Name: Alan Perry

My collection:
DEC VAX-11/750 (w/TU-80, RA-80s and RA-81s)
NeXT 030 slab
All variations of Sun lunchbox systems (IPC, IPX, LX, etc.)
Sun Voyager
Apple Powerbook 540C

Looking for:
Burroughs B1965

Welcome to the board :) I have a few Sun and DECs myself but nothing too collectible, just cheap systems I was able to afford over time.

But a nice and noteworthy set of systems there, so welcome and hope you find some soon :) There's a for sale list group for dec and larger hardware if I could remember the list name.. grr.. someone I think mentioned it recently. Either way I'm sure someone here can remind us what it is.

- John

Welcome Alan :)

I'm not familiar with any of your systems, but I can guarantee you there are many here that are. Variety is good - enjoy the knowledge here, as it is passed around :)

Name: Alan Perry

My collection:
DEC VAX-11/750 (w/TU-80, RA-80s and RA-81s)
NeXT 030 slab
All variations of Sun lunchbox systems (IPC, IPX, LX, etc.)
Sun Voyager
Apple Powerbook 540C

Looking for:
Burroughs B1965

The Voyager and the NeXT went to a guy who works for Paul Allen and his collection, getting better care than they got from me!

Hi Alan,

Burroughs aye? My best friend at high school spent a few months selling these systems to various businesses when he graduated from University.

Tez

Burroughs aye? My best friend at high school spent a few months selling these systems to various businesses when he graduated from University.

I worked for Burroughs after I graduated (1986), just before they became Unisys. Among other things, I did bug fixes on the B1000s for GEMCOS (a terminal server thing) and HOSTLINK (a mainframe-to-PC integration product) for the system software group in southern California (Santa Ana, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo). This was during the final years of the B1000 product line. The guys in the machine room at the facility where I worked referred to the B1965 there as "my" system. I kept the disk packs for booting the system in my office.

Most of the customers that I got bugs from were in the UK and Europe. I exchange e-mail with a guy who helped develop the B1965 and he said that he didn't think any were sold in the US.

All of the Burroughs machines had interesting architectures, but I liked the B1000s the best. There was a B1800 that a local military base was disposing of when I first moved up here, but I didn't find out about it until it was gone.

alan

Back