• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5.25 floppy drive, loose part

Amigaz

Experienced Member
After removing the original Teac 1.2mb 5.25 floppy drive out of my newly aquired AST Premium 286 I noticed something was loose and rattling inside the drive.
I removed the protection plate on top of it and found a "protective" cap that had been sitting on top of the read head...some black, sticky substance had held it in place before it fell off.

Does anyone know what this cap do? I mean does it have any "sexual" importance? ;) is it safe to just glue it back in place?

Here's some pics:

Without the cap:

The cap sitting on top of the head (loose):

The mythical cap:

It's a shield for the head to keep stray fields from playing hob with read signal. Glue it back in place. I'd probably clean the goop out of the cap, but leave the stuff on the head (don't want to chance screwing it up) and put a drop of polyurethane (e.g. Gorilla Glue) glue on the shield and place it gently back in place. Let the glue cure before using.

I'm not sure the glue will stick on that black, sticky stuff that seem to be the remains of the "glue" that held the cap in place on the read head

Hi
That is funny. The Nicolet Scope I'm working on has an old
Teac drive with exactly the same problem. The shield was
rattlng around in the bottom of the scopes chassis.
I hope to get the scope working and use it with my analog
computer. Having a DSO with an analog computer is
the way to go.
Dwight

That is funny. The Nicolet Scope I'm working on has an old Teac drive with exactly the same problem. The shield was rattlng around in the bottom of the scopes chassis.
Must be quite common, because the Teac drive in the AST Premium/286 I sold about 6 months ago had the same issue.
So we add that to the knowledge bank: Certain old Teac floppy drives have their top head sheild come loose.

Must be quite common, because the Teac drive in the AST Premium/286 I sold about 6 months ago had the same issue.
So we add that to the knowledge bank: Certain old Teac floppy drives have their top head sheild come loose.
So do certain NEC drives.

Back