• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The story behind my Tulip System I - and its lack of a PSU

BogdanV

Well, this thread is both a call for help and a background story one, so it would fit in both PCs and Clones and here.
If any mod considers this placement wrong, please move the topic.

The Tulip System I - CompuData's first PC

It all started probably 13 years ago when I was just a small kindergarten kid. Back then, my father was a researcher at ICE (Institute for Electronic Research), at the institute's local branch in Iasi.
The Bucharest branch had a good history in computer design, with lots of computers, but maybe I'll talk about that later.

It was in the second half of the '90s, with a country fresh out of pseudo-communism and with a highly unstable political situation.
Due to incompetence and mismanagement, all the heavy and specialized, high-profile industry was in free-fall.
The ICE was in the same boat. They started liquidating all local branches, leaving just the Bucharest HQ.
Its all turned to dust now and I'm afraid that worst is yet to come, but there's nothing we can do.

Anyway, my dad got a job at Siemens and with the local branch closing doors, he started packing.
He had two Tulips in his office. They were used for paperwork (document editing, charts, etc) mainly.
I do remember dad powering the central unit on once (with green and red lights on), but without a CRT. Its the only memory I have of the system ever running.
Anyway, since that day I became fond of the Tulip (I was also fascinated by the logo which still looks both shinny and elegant), and because of this fondness, I asked him to salvage the system along with the rest of his stuff.

We then proceeded to clean the main unit and check for a working Taxan CRT. We cleaned that one too, we grabbed a 51/4 inch dual-floppy drive and we carried them down to the car.
He he..., the monitor was half my size, yet I carried it all the way down :).

Ever since then, all the manuals (as bloody big as dictionaries ! ) are stored at a uncle of mine, one Tulip's sitting in my grandmother's attic and the other, together with the rest of the peripherals is where I live.

Sadly, both units lack the PSU. The power supply pins on the mainboard are bare. The ventilator's missing too, but that's a minor problem.

Anyway, who doesn't love screenies ?

The central unit + floppy :

Central unit opened (as you can see, there's no PSU) :

Co-processor, 8080 CPU and expansion slot for enhanced video controller (if I remember right) :

Backpanel view (I wish I'd had a lightpen):

And here comes the topic-related part : As you've probably guessed, I'd like to improvise a PSU and get this system running. You can't believe how much I've waited and hoped to get it running.
I'd like to know if anyone knowledgeable about the Tulip System I happens to have :
-a schematic of the PSU,
-or knows the voltages and current intensity on the mainboard's PSU connector,
- or maybe a photo of the PSU's IC board

Or just about any other option I may use to get this thing working again.
As a mention, buying/scavenging parts for this model is not an option. I've been searching for years, both on the internet and physically. I barely found references about it, let alone data about the PSU.

So, is there anything I could do, or can someone, maybe a Tulip I owner help me on this ?
If anyone happens to have a complete Tulip I, that would be excellent !

Thanks in advance !

About 1993, Tulip Computers was one of our customers, but that was probably during their PC Clone period.

I'd be surprised if one of the Dutch Computer Forums couldn't help you. Have you tried asking on the Dutch Tweakers forum?

I'd try but it seems its only in Dutch, and I don't know that language.
As for model/part numbers, I'll see what I can do.

I left a message there, but are you sure those guys have anything to do with vintage computers ? They seem to talk about modern hardware there.

EDIT: Guess what ? A mod locked the topic in a minute. At least someone managed to offer its help, but that's all I got.

Last edited:
About 1993, Tulip Computers was one of our customers, but that was probably during their PC Clone period.

I'd be surprised if one of the Dutch Computer Forums couldn't help you. Have you tried asking on the Dutch Tweakers forum?
Admins on the Tweakers forum don't like people speaking anyting but Dutch.
BogdanV's topic was closed because of that.

BogdanV: I've send you a private message there, but just in case you didn't understand the Dutch notification I'll post my response here as well.

I think you're best option is asking this guy: voorzitter@tulipgv.nl
He is the chairman of a Dutch association that is specifically meant for Tulip users/fans, http://www.tulipgv.nl/ (English version: http://www.tulipgv.nl/index_e.html ).

Maybe he can help you out.

Good luck :)

Otherwise there are quite a few Dutch vintage resources like mailing lists, user groups and so on that some of us Dutch resident users probably can help you with. Frankly I was not aware that Tulip dated back to the 8080 era, or if it is 8086 as the picture file name suggests.

EDIT: Guess what ? A mod locked the topic in a minute. At least someone managed to offer its help, but that's all I got.

Ah, yes--the new EU. Mutual respect for one another's cultures. Well, it was worth a try. I've run into the same attitude on Russian fora. Small minds seem to be everywhere.

I can attempt to dig up the name of my contact at Tulip, but there's no guarantee that she knows anything about your system.

I left a message there, but are you sure those guys have anything to do with vintage computers ? They seem to talk about modern hardware there.

And that one would be me ;) ("Raven")

Hope the owner from the emailaddress, from the Tulip association, I send you can help :)

Hi Chuck
I always try to post in both languages. I use
one of the language tools and just except that
there may be errors in translation. That way,
someone with just a little understanding of English
can figure out the broken parts. I always
have the apology statement as well. It has
always gotten good response.
Dwight

Wow. I haven't searched around for it much but trying the "Woozgotwat" feature of the old-computers.com site only shows 2 folks (depending on searching for Tulip System-1 or Compudata Tulip System-1. One is in the netherlands (not surprising) and the other person is in France. Not sure if there's a contact option on that site but I imagine logging it there probably is if they submitted enough information.

Hi Dwight,

Yes, I have some Russian, but there are always some goofs who want to point out that it's insufficiient. You just have to have thick skin.

It's funny--you never ignore messages when you're in business no matter what laguage they're written in--and we've gotten inquiries written in everything from Catalan to Polish and always have been able to answer them (this sometimes meant going to the university to find someone who could read the language, as this was before the Web days of easy translation).

The moral is that there are blockheads wherever you go.

I can say for sure that there are at least lines for +5V and 0V (ground), and there may also be lines for -5V/+12V/-12V. If you can track the signals from the PSU input socket, and use pinout information about the IC's to identify the different lines, you should at least be able to find +5V and 0V. The other ones may be more tricky, but you may try to get in contact with somebody with a working PSU, a multimeter, general understanding of how to use a multimeter, and some time.

Last edited:
I managed to identify the ground and +5 V pin. I'll check the serial too. Without the serial, this leaves 2 pins.
Still waiting a response on the mail. The info on the site said that for English, I should talk to the webmaster. I'll send him a mail too if I don't get a response in the following days.

You probably already know this but you can get yourself some bad (denglish?) with babelfish (wow.. sidenote I didn't realize Yahoo bought it or bought altavista?) but you can type whatever in english and get a translation output in whatever language (dutch is an option). It's not at all perfect (for instance, translate it from dutch back to english) but it's a start and we see some similar posts here which are fine.

Part of me can understand the admins on a non-English speaking forum. There are like gazillions of English speaking forums out there, and when it comes to computers in general, it can be nice for a change to use a different language. While automatic translators get better and better, I would strongly suggest not to use those for communication. Not because your texts will be hard to understand, but because it is so obvious you don't know the language and really don't belong there.

If it had been a forum with a specific Tulip section, I can understand why you try to post even if you don't know the language, but apparently this was not the case. I have followed (English speaking) newsgroups and forums where people would come from nowhere and sincerely post in German, French, Spanish or other languages. Those were not always so nicely welcomed, although most people tried to help the poster instead of shunning them. Whether those posters didn't speak English at all or simply assumed everyone else around the world would speak their language, one usually never finds out.

Part of me can understand the admins on a non-English speaking forum. There are like gazillions of English speaking forums out there, and when it comes to computers in general, it can be nice for a change to use a different language. While automatic translators get better and better, I would strongly suggest not to use those for communication. Not because your texts will be hard to understand, but because it is so obvious you don't know the language and really don't belong there.

I've been on fora where multiple languages were used. If anyone really wanted to know, there's always Google language tools (which I prefer to Babelfish). It didn't seem to beother anyone. Who speaks Dutch anyway? The inhabitants of the Netherlands, of course and the Flemings (I don't count Afrikaans). Maybe Aruba, but most speak Spanish and English there also. Who else?

Hell, maybe I'll start a vintage computer forum where posts are limited to Ciceronian Latin or Skiermûntseagersk. :)

Back