• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 95 web apps

NeXT

Veteran Member
I need more than DOS games, Netscape 4, and Microsoft Office on my PalmTop so I'm looking for a decent IRC client as well as a glimmer of hope that some sort of MSN client exists. The problem I'm running into so far is either the clients I'm used to are too much for the poor 40mhz 486 or the installer fails due to the specs being just too low.
Is there anything out there or am I in the spec range between "made for vintage stuff" and "Old software that is still supported because some company in India needs it"?

You might want to Malware scan the installer.My checker IDd 3 Back Door Bots in that file.
cgrape2

Yep, I ran mIRC 6 on my old 486 when it had 8MB RAM and it worked, though I used something like v6.1

I need more than DOS games, Netscape 4, and Microsoft Office on my PalmTop so I'm looking for a decent IRC client as well as a glimmer of hope that some sort of MSN client exists. The problem I'm running into so far is either the clients I'm used to are too much for the poor 40mhz 486 or the installer fails due to the specs being just too low.
Is there anything out there or am I in the spec range between "made for vintage stuff" and "Old software that is still supported because some company in India needs it"?

Go here for MSN messenger:
http://www.oldapps.com/msn_messenger.php

MSN messenger 5- should work. 5 is designed for NT 4 from 1996 so theres a fair bet that it should run on 95.

Old versions of MSN are no longer allowed to connect despite what Microsoft web pages will suggest.

As of right now, there is no version of Messenger from Microsoft** available for pre-Win2000, but somewhere out there a Microsoft web page tells you that 7.5 will get you connected if you run Win98. Not so, 7.5 doesn't connect anymore.

** - that doesn't mean third party messengers for the dotNet network won't work.

Worth noting: changing the internal version numbers of msnmsgr.exe to something like 50.0.0.0 will get you connected, though it'll be buggy. I do this to get 8.5 to continue working, it should work for older versions too, not sure about 5. This version number change can be made with resource hacker (google).

the version that comes with windows xp still works and in the about section it says it is version 4.7.3001.

If you are familiar with a hex editor, you can just patch the version string from the newest messenger into the old exe, and they will not block it anymore. :)

Back