• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

xbox 8088 corruption player

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
i sat down last night and started writing some C code to create an 8088 corruption video format player exec that's 100% native to the original microsoft xbox. finished it earlier this afternoon. have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgT0RJzTDnQ

neat eh? :p

finally getting comfortable with C programming. 'bout time.

code: http://rubbermallet.org/xbox-corruption.c

or download this rar with the compiled .XBE file, source, data files, and compile instructions if you want it.

I wonder if it is possible to do on other recent consoles too (Edit: sorry, I KNOW it is possible to do on other recent consoles too). I know there is ways to easily run homebrew apps on a Wii, but I'm unsure about the PS3.

The PS3 recently got hacked so to where it now can run homebrew (*cough*andpirated*cough*) games.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is possible to do on other recent consoles too (Edit: sorry, I KNOW it is possible to do on other recent consoles too). I know there is ways to easily run homebrew apps on a Wii, but I'm unsure about the PS3.

as long as the console can run unofficial code somehow, there's a C compiler available to make binaries, and you can get/write video and audio routines to work with the system's API you should be able to port the c file i posted to it pretty easily.

the only issue about my code there is that the audio output is rough and sounds somewhat distorted. that's because i have to have it upsample 22050 Hz/8bit/mono PCM to 48000/16/stereo. currently, that's all openxdk supports. if i sat down and wrote a decent filter with interpolation for the resampling, it would sound much nicer.

Last edited:
Is it me, or are those original Xbox game consoles extremely attractive for hacking? I'm keeping an eye open to get myself one for cheap (or free). I want an Xbox to be my next system for my garage computer solely because of the hardware that's built into it. There are also hacks to upgrade the RAM in those things. You just need a couple more Xboxes to steal the RAM.

xbox 1's are *amazing*, especially for emulation and playing 4:3 video on an old tube TV.
I personally don't care much about actual xbox 1 games, but my machines all have every emulator from the odyssey 2 through the PS1 on it, and XBMC for streaming movies and mp3s off my server.
You can get them used for about $20 now at gameStop. If you're picking one out, try to get one manufactured between 2001 and 2003. (look on the bottom) as those models all have TSOP flash parts so you can upgrade the BIOS to unlock them.

The RAM upgrade isn't worth the trouble. Very few applications are built with anything more than 64mb in mind, and the extra room doesn't mean anything plays or works any better.

[sorry for the thread hijacking]

Back