• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you think will happen in the future

Dms12444

Experienced Member
How do you think computers will advance in the future. Do you think that the computers of today will be the vintage computer collectibles of tomorrow (I can only imagine my computer being looked at like we look at IBM PC's today)? But consider this, the IMSAI 8080 ran at 2.0 mHZ. Today we have 3 gHZ processors, so in 2045 we should have 3 tHZ processors. I think that sometime in the future SSHD (solid state hard drives) will replace the hard drives of today. And then comes the big question, what will happen to the companies along the way. Will the old titans like IBM make a comeback and replace Microsoft and Apple or will a newer company like Sun Microsystems take the throne.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: oops sorry, Sun Microsystems doesn't exist anymore. They were bought out and integrated into Oracle.

Last edited:
I think that sometime in the future SSHD (solid state hard drives) will replace the hard drives of today.

The future is here.
I just replaced the 80 GB 10K RPM C: drive in my desktop with a 120 GB SSD.
And my laptop already has a 65 GB SSD as C:
Both the D:'s are still normal drives however.
When the prices for 250 GB SSDs drop maybe I'll switch the data drives).

I think in the future people will wonder, "Why the hell did people have big computers on their desks? That's so primitive." Meanwhile, they'll have contact lenses giving augmented displays directly on their eyeballs (or glasses projecting images on their retinas) as they give verbal commands which are picked up by their in-ear microphone/earbud combo.

I'm sure some people at that time (including me, if I'm still alive) will long for the simpler days of big keyboards and glowing displays. As always, when the future actually arrives, there is something about it which is strangely disappointing. (...or perverted for purposes of capitalist greed or government control)

In the future, I think there really will be "A computer on every desk and in every home" though maybe not all running Microsoft software. It may be that the computers on the desks and in the homes may become "A computer in every desk and built into every home". Whatever the case, <smartallic>something is going to happen in the future.</smartallic>

I think in the future people will wonder, "Why the hell did people have big computers on their desks? That's so primitive." Meanwhile, they'll have contact lenses giving augmented displays directly on their eyeballs (or glasses projecting images on their retinas) as they give verbal commands which are picked up by their in-ear microphone/earbud combo.

I'm sure some people at that time (including me, if I'm still alive) will long for the simpler days of big keyboards and glowing displays. As always, when the future actually arrives, there is something about it which is strangely disappointing. (...or perverted for purposes of capitalist greed or government control)

I actually hope the future does not include this. All in one PC's though limiting I might understand, but I could never bring myself to using glasses to play a videogame (unless we had Star Trek Holodecks by then). That and Im already a vintage computer enthusiast, I long for computers 20+ years more primitive than the ones we are using now. (Mind you im 14 so im going to be well alive and able to watch computers evolve and change).

In 50-100 years computers will not exist other then old relics.
The people with the knowledge to design computers will be extinct, replaced by PHDs in paper shuffling sending 2000 page RFQ's (requests for quotes) to companies that have not existed for 30 years.
The power grid will be destroyed from the lack of fuel, spare parts, and people with the ability to turn a wrench so even the still plentiful C64's will be useless.
The knowledge of the universe had at one time been converted to PDF and resided on the cloud systems where everyone could view them (for a subscription involving 125% of your yearly pay and 1st born female) until a CEO decided he could have a bigger bonus that year by saving money on electricity and shut down the only server that still worked (and sold the drives for scrap).

I agree with this, I think computers will still very much be around but will be smaller lighter and faster, With holographic as standard display and touch. Our cell phones will have what a 3.6GHz system can do.

Last edited:
What's the computer future hold?

What's the computer future hold?

I can't keep up with technology now. It encompasses too much - but I believe what the future holds for computers is more blending with television. Browser integration into your TV. Watching YouTubes, doing emails, archiving video to built-in huge capacity storage devices that auto organize everything into easily searchable databases. Everything you now do on computers - all your video, photos, correspondence, games, NET browsing, will be done with a remote from your easy chair. Mostly that is already possible, but I'm talking done more cheaply and for the masses. When you are clicking through the, way too many 'paid programming' crap and can't find anything to watch on cable - you'll just switch to browser mode and surf the NET. Read blogs, forums, play your music, and catch up on TV shows you've digitally recorded.
I just think the differences that now exist between TV/cable and computers are going to blend into one interactive entertainment device.
Of course I'd hate to see this in my living room on a high def 72" giant LCD monitor/screen.

attachment.php

Not that I even have a big screen TV - I'm still poking along with a 26 CRT TV that's stuck in 16x9 mode all the time.

I realize MSN TV (formerly WEBTV), is still out there - but I don't believe it offers you full NET access, like a standard computer does. I want full PC power combined with a big high def TV and remote access from my easy chair.

Perhaps, my ideas of 'future computers' is a bit biased with my desires, because I want to see computers, big screen TV's, and cable blended into one unit.
I have my current PC in a back room and I use a 50' combo s-video/audio output cable from my video card to watch NET TV on my living room 26" TV. There never seems to be anything worthwhile to watch on cable anyway, but there's always something interesting to watch on the Internet. Problem with that is I have to return to the back room anytime I want to make changes. Besides my old 26" CRT TV doesn't have the resolution for browsing the Internet even if I had remote control. So this setup is only used to watch movies or shows.

I don't see any reason to assume that we even will have computers in the future. I think our hollow economy will leave us in a situation where most will be wishing they had water to drink and couldn't care less about things that are totally irrelevant to survival. Technology as a commodity is a thing of the past. No I'm not talking about global warming, I'm just talking about the way things are going and have gone before with previous attempts at civilizations. /sorry

If you're really interested in this future-vision thing, you might want to get some perspective on it.

Back around 1981-82 (I don't recall exactly), Jerry Pournelle posted on one of the Usenet newsgroups that he was preparing a speech whose subject was where computers would be in the next decade or two. I don't recall what I answered with, but if you could find the speech, it might give you an idea of what the best minds thought and what actually came to pass.

If you're really interested in this future-vision thing, you might want to get some perspective on it.

Back around 1981-82 (I don't recall exactly), Jerry Pournelle posted on one of the Usenet newsgroups that he was preparing a speech whose subject was where computers would be in the next decade or two. I don't recall what I answered with, but if you could find the speech, it might give you an idea of what the best minds thought and what actually came to pass.

Thanks, Ill look into it.

I think more user friendly features like changing the color of your BSOD or maybe add a background to it. (Yeah I know color changing is already supported).

I'm not sure. I do think what we consider a computer will change. The next thing I see is of course more integration with what's already on your hip (phone) and speeding those up to do mostly daily functions (surf the web, play a game, email, talk about vintage computers and wonder why we didn't keep a boxed set of Vista) or how collectible the flopped max i-pad was and wish we got one on it's way out.

To be honest, I really dug this weird movie EXistenZ and when I was getting lots of computers ready for the chop shop at the state (forced to) and was gutting them I had a weird experience when I pulled out the power supply and all the chords were hanging down like a brain and brain/nerve stems. I felt eerily similar to EXistenZ meets Terminator where I really could see doing surgery on organic computers and removing a brain for an upgrade, or decommission, etc.

I guess it depends how far in the future you look. [sarcasm]I'm certainly tired of all these stupid flying cars outside and subservient home robot assistants.[/sarcasm] but really, that's most of the predictions that we'd have those 10 years ago.

Back