• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Specs needed for hard drive

linuxlove

Veteran Member
KALOK KL 320, 20MB driveI need to low-level format the drive and I need the specs for the drive, type, cylinders, heads, precomp and interleave.I have some insruction manual that has 20MB entries but there are six of them and I don't even know if any of them will work with my drive.

Naw, I'd use BIOS type 2.

BIOS type 2? If I select YES to dynamically configuring the drive, I get all the options for cylinders, heads and stuff. There is no option for sectors and there's write precomp (should I put something there or leave it blank?), "max correctable error and"CCB Option byte, step rate select".I have no idea what the controller model is other than Western Digital something.

The standard for MFM drives is 17 sectors/track; for RLL, it's 25 or 26; for ARLL, it's usually 32. Since you have an MFM controller, it does 17 per tack by default.

You need a manual for your controller; what model is it?

Oh god, not a Kalok.
They made horrible drives.
Hopefully yours is one of the better ones and all the bad ones have since doed off in the last decade or so.

Not only is it a Kalok, but it's their first model. :)

At least it's not a JTS drive...

EDIT: A little search turns up that the design of the JTS drives was done by Kalok. It figures. Anyone want a 1.0GB JTS 3.5" IDE? It works sometimes.

Last edited:
My god I almost forgot that name Kalok. I had a 40 meg once. I don't remember where I got it but I remember where it ended up. I traded it to a friend in return for sharing his internet access account at his university I think in 1995-96 back when the internet was hard to get. He kept it in his drawer and would do backups with it every now and then. For some reason I wanted it back so I offered to give him an old computer with 2 MFM drives in it and 10base-2 arcnet coax network so he could access it from his main computer. Why did I think that Kalok was so important? I am cracking myself up just thinking about it lol. Anyway he said no.

EDIT: I think it was actually a Kyocera now that I remember. They both start with K and sound funny.

Last edited:
Oh god, not a Kalok.
They made horrible drives.
Hopefully yours is one of the better ones and all the bad ones have since doed off in the last decade or so.

A member sent me a Kalok, a KL-330.

It was very distinctly dead on arrival (sender wasn't sure of working order). A few good whacks got me a mostly working drive with some damaged sectors.

Can you tell me what did you do to your Kalok HDD? I have one dead too, makes terrible noise, bios cannot start it... Also what kind of LLF prog are you guys using on these old drives? thanks!

Back