• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some pieces of interesting equipment

per

Veteran Member
Warning, quite a lot of text follows, you don't need to read everything.

Introduction:
About one and a half year ago, forum member Amigaz bought an PC/AT from someone in Germany. The system had previously been used as an advanced video editing system, but unfortunately, it got a disk-crash durning shippment. Because of this, Amigaz decided to part the system into a standard PC/AT configuration (details: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?13328 ).

I decided to buy the Mono-monitor ( http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?13339 ), and I was offered the items concerning the graphics editing system at the same time. I accepted the offer, but I did not want to ship it due to the fact that a monitor was included. Instead, some friends of mine in Stockholm agreed to keep the items untill I got the time to pick them up.

This easter, I finally got the ability to pick the parts up, and it turns out to be quite some interesting pieces of software/hardware.

Monitor:
A standard IBM 5151, with a "VIDI" sticker rigth above the front IBM logo.

For some reason, it's written 120v on the rear label of it. I can't seem to understand this since it has been used in Europe, and that it doesn't seem to have been connected to a converter. For instance, I do got an converter, but I don't know what I risk running 120v through it IF it expects 240v (Amigaz claimed it was 240v in the post, but I don't know to what degree he tested it, or if he made sure the voltage levels of the AT's PSU output were not regulated down to 120v). Else, it seems to be in very good condition.

See attachement numbered 001 and 002 for details.

Graphics package:
This is the most interesting part. It consist of some software, a manual, and some hardware that is more or less required to operate the software.

The manual describes how to operate the "Aurora/75" and "Aurora/125" video editing systems. The difference between the /75 and /125 is that in the /125 system, the entire system is it's own computer dedicated to just run the Aurora OS and do video editing, while in the /75 system, an AT connected to special hardware is used to emulate the /125 system. Of course, what I got is the /75 system, and it has been distributed by a company called "Vidi".

The disks I got with the system is as follows:
9 disks labeled "Version 3.1 Backup" (numbered)
6 disks labeled "Practice" (numbered)
4 disks labeled "Update 3.1b" (numbered)
1 disk labeled "Venix XFER" (Venix boot disk, needed to restore the backup)
3 disks (problably) containing user-made data

On the hardware side, there are four parts (five if including the IBM MDA). There is an external drawing pad, two quite similar ISA cards, and a third ISA card not that similar to the two first ones. According to the manual, the Aurora OS requires two RGB monitors and the drawing-pad for graphics operation, and a MDA and keyboard for terminal operation. In addition to this, a lot of optional devices are also supported (like camera interfaces and video-tape interfaces).

The main input of the Aurora OS is the drawing-pad and pen. The pen connects to the board along with a seperate powersupply, and the boards connects to the system by standard RS-232 (selectable baud-rate).

There is no doubt that the two quite similar cards are graphics adapters. They both have the same number of RCA connectors, they're both made by "Number 9 computers", and they both uses the NEC D7220(A)D Graphics Processing Unit. The cards does at least do 256-level analog RGB, but I don't know the sync frequencies. There area few differences, though. One of the cards is 8-bit, and labeled "rev6". However, the other card is 16-bit, labeled "rev4", has a daugtherboard with some switches, and a 4-times-bigger/1.25-times-faster framebuffer. The pinout on therse cards are (from the upper RCA): Analog-Red, Analog-Green, Analog-Blue, CS, V, (and problably) H.

The last card is the most interesting piece. It is named "PC-EYE BD", and is made by "Chorus data systems" in 1984. It appears to be a optional video capturing device, and I'm 90% sure the input is supposed to come from a RGB-camera. I am however still unsure if this means that anything outputing analog RGB can be connected to it, and I do not know what RCA contact corresponds to what signal.

Conclusion:
As I see it, The only things I need in order to get this working, is:
  1. An AT-compatible computer to put it all in (perhaps my 486 will work)
  2. A pile of RCA (m) to BNC (m) cables
  3. Perhaps another VGA monitor with BNC inputs

It would be really cool if I got this thing to work.

A final note:
Of course, if any of you have any information (even information from old ads) on any of the cards/issues discussed above, feel free to share.

Attachments

• Bilde 001 (Large)&#46.jpg
    Bilde 001 (Large)&#46.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Bilde 005 (Large)&#46.jpg
    Bilde 005 (Large)&#46.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Bilde 002 (Large)&#46.jpg
    Bilde 002 (Large)&#46.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Bilde 004 (Large)&#46.jpg
    Bilde 004 (Large)&#46.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Bilde 003 (Large)&#46.jpg
    Bilde 003 (Large)&#46.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Monitor:
A standard IBM 5151, with a "VIDI" sticker rigth above the front IBM logo.

For some reason, it's written 120v on the rear label of it. I can't seem to understand this since it has been used in Europe, and that it doesn't seem to have been connected to a converter. For instance, I do got an converter, but I don't know what I risk running 120v through it IF it expects 240v (Amigaz claimed it was 240v in the post, but I don't know to what degree he tested it, or if he made sure the voltage levels of the AT's PSU output were not regulated down to 120v). Else, it seems to be in very good condition.

Hmm. I understand your concern. I guess you've quizzed Amigaz more about it?

Maybe if you opened it up the circuitry might reveal more. There could even be a 220/110v switch on the main transformer somewhere?

Tez

In my experience feeding 120v into a 220v device does not damage it. Going the other way though tends to blow out capacitors. But I am hardly and expert on this and if it were me I would also be extremely cautious about it.

Keep us posted, it does sounds like a very interesting system.

I have now imaged the disks in raw format, at least done an attempt doing so. For some reason, on therse disks, data is stored different than on normal DOS disks. First of all, the filesystem differs, and I'm not sure what filesystem Venix (an Unix-like OS) uses. Secondly, instead of storing a track on head 0 then a track on head 1, it stores all tracks on entire head 0 before starting to use the tracks on head 1. And when the tracks on head 1 is used, it starts with the most inner track moving outwards.

The disks does, however, have the standard 1.2MB format.

I have an HP monitor with BNC inputs that runs at fixed 1024x768. I made a custom adapter to get the sync to be compatible with a modern VGA out, but that's easily removable. I would readily consider selling it, so PM me if interested. It's one of those high-quality HP monitors that became a reference model for CRT production throughout the 90s. It goes to an HP X Window Station of some kind that I can't get to operate (80186-based, no expansion slots) which does work, but can't do anything without a special server. I'd also sell the machine (much smaller than the monitor, ironically) but I don't see why anyone would want that (but hey, who knows).

I have an HP monitor with BNC inputs that runs at fixed 1024x768. I made a custom adapter to get the sync to be compatible with a modern VGA out, but that's easily removable. I would readily consider selling it, so PM me if interested. It's one of those high-quality HP monitors that became a reference model for CRT production throughout the 90s. It goes to an HP X Window Station of some kind that I can't get to operate (80186-based, no expansion slots) which does work, but can't do anything without a special server. I'd also sell the machine (much smaller than the monitor, ironically) but I don't see why anyone would want that (but hey, who knows).

Thanks for the offer, but I already got a more recent monitor with BNC inputs (a Samsung SyncMaster 1100p+). It seems like the cards uses 512x460, so I think a normal VGA monitor will work.

Interesting setup, an old 286 or 386 computer should work with that setup. The capture cards of the mid 80's are a pain to setup because of BNC cables, weird resolutions and refresh rates.

Hi
Running at a lower voltage and an older switcher supply
may blow up the supply ( known from actual experience ).
It is better to check for jumpers and such first.
The problem is how a switcher works. If the output is too
low, it will increase the duty cycle until it reaches 100%.
At that point the transistor blows out.
Most new supplies have brownout protection circuits.
I doubt that old one does.
Dwight

Fortunately the 5151 uses a transformer power supply as shown in the pic. I have two 120 V version 5151's in a 240 V country and certainly a lot of care is required.
If it helps, I measured 20 ohms across the power connector - I would expect the 240 V version to be somewhat more.

Hi
20 Ohms may not be any indication at all.
The primary of a good transformer could measure
that low and still work fine at 220 volts AC.
Dwight

Regarding Aurora/75 Videographics System - Edition 3.1 running on Venix
There was a recent challenge a few days ago regarding getting an old 9 disks Vennix backup (+1 XFER disk) running again. The challenge was posted by tenox and the disk images came from Frode van der Meeren. It seems to me that these are the same disks. I found this thread looking for "Aurora/75 Videographics System". I'm (seemingly) the second guy who got it running and was curious about what's inside. I found some images and related stuff in /usr/jr/art directory and it did seem like something that was used in TV/broadcasting. Do you still have the collection? It would be nice to see it again in working order, seemingly all you would need is a reasonable hard drive.

Regarding Aurora/75 Videographics System - Edition 3.1 running on Venix
There was a recent challenge a few days ago regarding getting an old 9 disks Vennix backup (+1 XFER disk) running again. The challenge was posted by tenox and the disk images came from Frode van der Meeren. It seems to me that these are the same disks. I found this thread looking for "Aurora/75 Videographics System". I'm (seemingly) the second guy who got it running and was curious about what's inside. I found some images and related stuff in /usr/jr/art directory and it did seem like something that was used in TV/broadcasting. Do you still have the collection? It would be nice to see it again in working order, seemingly all you would need is a reasonable hard drive.
Thanks!

Yes, I still have it in my collection, but never really got it working myself. Yet! From what I read from the recent competition, the combination of a DD floppy drive A and HD floppy drive B, combined with a 20MB type 2 hard drive is the essential parts nessecary to get it working.

It's indeed a broadcast video editing system, capable of making a lot of those cheesy 80's computer-generated video effects. It can also be used to make digital 2D art, something like Deluxe Paint for Amiga, but much more advanced and sophisticated.

The major part of this setup is two RGB video cards and a serial interface drawing tablet. The manual for the software itself doesn't list much more requirements, but from what I recently heard from the competition holder it seems like the software is set up to need a GPIB-PC card as well (most problably from National Instruments). In the case, that's the only thing I don't have in the setup. I didn't buy the card that might have been one, thinking it was a regular serial/parallel/clock card. It might also be that it seeks for a GPIB card if a serial tablet or something cannot be found.

Those RGB cards use individual RCA connectors for all the separate RGBC signals, and the second problem would be to get these converted to something a TV can display. I was thinking about making a SCART adapter with a battery for the 1V signal, but haven't gotten around doing that yet. I came in contact with someone that had the manuals for the cards, so I know what connectors are what. The main RGB card has full 24-bit color fidelity, capable of displaying a different color on every single pixel of the image, while the secondary RGB only has 8 bit color.

Last edited:
It is not necessary to use a 20MB HDD. I used a different type without any trouble (I'm Mihai, by the way, the 2nd guy to find a solution). It is also not required to use 2 different FDDs. I modified the XFER image to be 1.2 because the PCEM emulator (that I was using) did not allow for two diskette types in the same drive (i.e. setting the drive to 1.2 in bios made 360K images unreadable). I will try to create an image for an IDE drive (of reasonable size, around 100MB) and try to use it on a real 286. I'll post the result here.
If you want you can download the 1.2MB image from http://hawk.ro/stories/xfer_12m.zip
Tenox asked my for my installation instructions for PCEM to post them as well, but either he deemed them too complex or he didn't have time to post my message.
Using the xfer_12m image, you can then use BACKUP1-7 as USER 1-7 and then BACKUP 8 and 9 as SYSTEM A and B and restore to any hdd.
Be advised that this approach will have 2 small problems:
1. everything that should have been under /usr is under /usr/usr; in fact under /usr on w0.usr partition.
(can be solved with around 10 mv commands)
2. after you've done that you have to reinsert USER 8 diskette and from root ( / ) use tar xf /dev/rh0
because USER 8 contains something from /usr that was wrongly copied under /usr on the sys partition instead of / on the usr partition.
Or alternatively you can avoid using the installation system and just use Jim's solution (manual mount and untar) after you have booted XFER. The only reason for using 2 FDDs was that MAME doesn't support difffernt FDD formats on the same drive either. On a physical machine the only trouble is that the installation system expects DD diskettes (and a different number of those as well).
So in any case you don't need any fancy drives, just one of reasonable size.

Re: GPIB card: AFAICT it was used for a Computer-To-Film device, I think everything else should work wihout it.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot try to set this up with real hardware before after Christmass (due to university), but I certainly will try now! I have a ST-225 spare that I'll use.

From what I've heard about the RGB cards, they don't like faster machines.

I have tested creating an image for, and writing it on an 80MB IDE Western Digital Caviar. The HDD was then placed in my Everex 286/12. As can be seen in this video, it works fine:
https://youtu.be/iE3OpxV92VU
I haven't tried installing from diskettes because I don't have 9 free 1.2MB diskettes at hand, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

OT: About two months ago we visited Narvik and Bergen on a rail trip thru Scandinavia. If I only knew about this then, maybe I would have brought the drive with me :)

I had many PC-EYEs back in the mid 80s. We used them to produce systems for fair-vendors, to digitize peoples images on-the-spot, and use a dye-sub printer to get the image onto a coffee mug or T-shirt -- I'm sure you've seen these systems back in the day (if you are of that age!).

As I remember, this card uses RS-170 or NTSC camera input. And the output can be to two monitors at once (color & B&W), to get instantaneous composition and focus, without the "ripple effect" you would see on the color output, as *it* digitized half frames at a time.

Sort of low tech compared to today's stuff, but cutting edge back then...

gwk

Cool!

That card is, by the way, the only thing in the package I don't have the manual for right now. Do you at least remember what plugged in where on the RCA connectors?

Cool!

That card is, by the way, the only thing in the package I don't have the manual for right now. Do you at least remember what plugged in where on the RCA connectors?

Well. no manual figures! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I can't recall at all, but I'll look and see if I have anything on the board...

gwk

Back