• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help, I'm having dreams about vintage computers!

Umm, no, but it does often involve getting inside, investigating, probing and occasionally even the use of specialized equipment and instruments...

...provided you stay away from their heads...the way they seem to think often seems too alien to me lol.
If they have a problem, usually you can't go around it and if you realy have no clue at whats wrong and ask them...they don't know what is wrong either! Drives me nuts at times!

When I first started repairing computers, we often didn't have documentation. I had a recurring nightmare of wandring across a bleak green landscape covered in small multipole sockets trying to work out which of the wires that dangled & trailed everywhere went to what. I remember waking myself up once shouting "I can't do it....."

My dreams all take place in the same retro 80's/90's world, of course there are vintage computers there, heck, that's what half of the characters use, probably because the 80's and early 90's area my favorite times fashion-wise. Weird stuff I dream up that's for sure.

Vintage Computing/Gaming have a heavy influence on the "plot" of what I dream up sometimes, like...

- The time I was stuck in a CGA graphic enhanced version of the Atari 2600 Adventure game, after going on what looked like a real life quest with Lord British, Iolo, Shamino, and Dupre from Ultima which ended sitting on a loo behind a curtain an dpulling a chain to get into the game via a secret elevator.

- Being trapped in a super hard and twisted SUper Mario Bros. 3, only to come out of the screen of an Apple II into a plastic tan igloo full of gnomes in some cartoon-like universe, turns out the gnomes were programming the game in tat lab. Ended up meeting a girl and getting out of that bizare place.

- Me going into a tower in the wilderness of Illinois to Kill gannon in an abandoned medevil tower...and ultimatley getting killed.

- Probably the most bizarre are the various RPG dreams where I somehow end up inside an NES based Dragon Warrior/Ultima hybrid, and wind up in hell.

Yeah, I know I'm a little nuts.

Hmm... what would Freud and Jung say about this thread...

He'd conclude that we all didn't get enough affection from our mothers when we were young?

Anyway, I just remembered I did have dreams about computers! It's just a while ago since I had my last one. They were often about me riding my bike someplace and then stumbling upon like 10 older computers, so much stuff that I tried desperately to take as much computers and parts with me as I could, even desperately thinking if I could call someone who could come with a car without them thinking I was mad!

I've had more dreams of the game StarCraft than anything else I've had dreams of. Especially when I was younger - I'd play it for hours a day, goto bed, dream it, then wake up and play it, goto school, come back and play it, rinse and repeat, without the school on weekends.

We dream about waking tasks to "burn in" the neurons that are responsible for performing those tasks, which makes us better at performing them during waking hours. The first night after I'd worked at my first job I dreamt of doing the job, which was folding tee shirts after they'd been silk screened, all night long.

Sean

Back