• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Appletalk(DE9)<->Localtalk(DIN8) Adapter Wanted

Raven

Veteran Member
Like this: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/apple-appletalk-localtalk-adapter-db9-66299875

1_f11ef41ae7b3ac2294124919bdce578c.jpg

I am, however, interested in an 8-pin and not 3-pin version (as all of my Macs have 8-pin connectors).

This should work with an Apple AppleTalk Card for IBM PC, right?

AppleTalk is the protocol, LocalTalk is the physical layer, the cabling. In addition to Apple's LocalTalk cabling, there's also Farallon's PhoneNet. AppleTalk can also work over Ethernet. Your URL is a link to a LocalTalk adapter for a 9 pin Mac serial port. A LocalTalk adapter is sort of like an Ethernet transceiver in terms of where it sits in a network. The 3 pin connections on the bottom of that adapter are for the LocalTalk cables, not direct connection to Mac serial ports.

Mac's originally had DB-9 serial ports and the IBM PC card you have must be from that era. You need one of these adapters with a 8 pin connection for the Mac. It will be just like the adapter you reference but with a round Mac serial connector with 8 pins. Then you plug a LocalTalk cable into both of them. The Apple LocalTalk adapter may automatically terminate unused connections.

Jim

Yeah I saw PhoneNET and if it's easier/cheaper to find multiple PhoneNET adapters I'll go that route - I already have a few Mac 8-pin serial cables though, so I thought it might be easier/cheaper.

Yeah I saw PhoneNET and if it's easier/cheaper to find multiple PhoneNET adapters I'll go that route - I already have a few Mac 8-pin serial cables though, so I thought it might be easier/cheaper.

PhoneNET is also good because it is pretty easy to find Ethernet bridges for it, which can be very hand for file transfers with newer machines. I have a 10-year-old HP Laserjet on the network that directly supports Appletalk (over Ethernet) and Macs as old as a Plus can print to it directly!

I sold one of those.. perhaps to you.. NeXT? :p

I can't get any of my Mac networking gear to work. I have tons. I have an EN/SC SCSI->Ethernet adapter... installed drivers, got everything set up properly.... didn't work. Tried hooking a Mac up to an Asante box and it would not work. Tried many things. I have no transceivers, though, so the Macs that have built-in Ethernet I cannot use remain so..

That stuff is what led me to attempt to bridge it and use LocalTalk instead..

Macs + Networking = Hates Me

Back