• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad Motherboard w/ ISA Wanted

Raven

Veteran Member
If you have one of these I am quite interested in purchasing one. I am willing to pay a realistic amount for one, let me know.

Edit: I only need one ISA slot, by the way. It's for a Soundblaster - everything else can be done on PCI/PCIE, but not that. It also must have at least one PCIEx16 electrical&mechanical slot for a modern GPU.

Last edited:
No, it's just to get an FM synthesizer/Digital sound player under DOS. I'm not very picky, and would use a PCI card if possible, but the modern motherboards dropped support for DDMA, which is what allowed PCI cards to emulate SB. Thus the only answer, short of writing programs (which I do intend to do) is to get a mobo with proper ISA.

Not cheap, but here you go! The only link I can find with a price is a U.K. company charging £217. (Although the U.S. company at the first link will sell you just one; they just don't have the price on their site.)

Yeah I've tried to get a quote from Adek twice now and I don't think they take me seriously because they won't respond. :p

Glad to see somebody is selling them with immediate pricing.. converts to $335USD.. Not cheap, as you said, but I didn't expect it to be. Assuming Adek still won't respond, and I'll try calling them when I have the money, I guess I'm importing it from the UK.

My next computer will dualboot Win7-64 and DOS7.10, and work fully with both, *evil laugh*.

I keep losing motherboards due to mysterious "it won't boot up anymore" and from BIOS flashing. I refuse to flash a BIOS anymore unless I have the appropriate programmer on hand, and I'd wager that an industrial board will be built to last. I shouldn't have these problems anymore. :) Ironically, most of my trouble..... all of my trouble... has been with ASUS boards, which have a really good reputation.

I keep losing motherboards due to mysterious "it won't boot up anymore" and from BIOS flashing.....
I suppose that has nothing to do with this?

On another note...DOS 7.10 will run correctly on a computer that fast? I read on the msfn.org forums people having to do all kinds of tricks to get 9x (which is a GUI on top of DOS, in short) to work on more modern machines

I keep losing motherboards due to mysterious "it won't boot up anymore" and from BIOS flashing. I refuse to flash a BIOS anymore unless I have the appropriate programmer on hand, and I'd wager that an industrial board will be built to last. I shouldn't have these problems anymore. :) Ironically, most of my trouble..... all of my trouble... has been with ASUS boards, which have a really good reputation.

So what do you do with the boards that you've bricked? I assume that you have a way to reprogram the BIOS--if not, why not offer them up on the forum for someone who can fix them?

I've been on a "why not repair it" toot ever since I saw 4 LCD monitors being hauled as junk to the recycler (they don't do repairs) with the same problem--bad capacitors. A 20-minute (tops) repair and you've got a unit that works like new.

On another note...DOS 7.10 will run correctly on a computer that fast? I read on the msfn.org forums people having to do all kinds of tricks to get 9x (which is a GUI on top of DOS, in short) to work on more modern machines

Well, what do you mean by "will run correctly"? I have run MS-DOS 6.22, PC-DOS 7.10, and FreeDOS just fine on modern hardware.

Well, what do you mean by "will run correctly"? I have run MS-DOS 6.22, PC-DOS 7.10, and FreeDOS just fine on modern hardware.

Indeed, since all of MS-DOS I/O is done through the BIOS (with the exception of special card drivers not supported by the BIOS), there's no reason it shouldn't run just fine on any fast system.

The only problem with 9x on new hardware is the RAM limitations, it refuses to recognize more than 1GB, detecting it as "not enough" - other than that the OS itself works fine on modern hardware.

I do not can things that break. I have the motherboard from the first computer I ever personally owned (I'm young, keep in mind) at the end of it's lifetime of upgrades (started as a Pentium II) - an Athlon XP system, mobo by ASUS. My new programmer might be able to fix that board I am hoping. The other one that's screwed up is from my main box more recently, an ASUS P5B-E, where a bad BIOS flash owned it. I don't know if the programmer I have is compatible out of the box with either of these, as I purchased it explicitly to fix my BookPC (working on that now actually), but I'll investigate when I get some time.

... as I purchased it explicitly to fix my BookPC...

AAAAGH!

Hopefully you're not talking about the actual BTC "Book PC" series of computers, but just using "BookPC" in a generic sense, right? Please?

I went through FIVE of those stupid buggers back in 1999-2001. Those things were just absolute garbage. (I still use the speakers that came with one, though. Amazingly, the speakers are halfway decent...) The local shop I bought them all from (I bought two for myself, and three for family members,) exchanged the first three that died, then I had to fight with them when the remaining two died, as well as the three replacements! (So, in total, I possessed eight of them, and all eight died in a three year span.) In the end, they just gave me replacement full-size computers of roughly equivalent specs.

Ah, I assumed there was a probelm with the speed of modern processors. There was a patch for Windows95 that was for K6-2 300 and faster? Without that patch there would be a buffer overflow?
I also thought having read something similar on the msfn.org forums for Windows 98 though can't remember what that was about exactly.
Nice to know that this doesn't affect DOS in any way. I never tried installing DOS on one of my newer machines, I never realy had a reason to do so.

Edit: Found the Windows 95 one. It's a problem that can affect K6-2-350 and over and Athlons. The problem lies within a file that isn't part of DOS so it's Windows only.
Link--> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192841

I only remembered this vaguely...hence why I asked

Last edited:
iBase is a manufacturer based in Silicon valley, they specialize in industrial computers. They have several motherboards that include ISA slots. They are not cheep, about $400 or so for the boards.

http://www.ibase-usa.com

There is a large selection of motherboards with ISA slots. There

Hopefully you're not talking about the actual BTC "Book PC" series of computers, but just using "BookPC" in a generic sense, right? Please?

I actually heard a story in the late 90's that computer stores would use a BTC CDROM in a test computer to test a tech they were thinking about hiring. Basically to get the BTC to spin up [to install windows 98] you had to punch it!

I am talking about an actual BookPC, a BKI810.

If you have any around I'd do anything to steal the BIOS from one (or just outright buy the systems). My BIOS got misflashed and I'm having a HELL OF A TIME trying to flash it with a programmer I bought. I love the little box, and nothing is wrong with it except the BIOS chip that I ruined.

iBase is a manufacturer based in Silicon valley, they specialize in industrial computers. They have several motherboards that include ISA slots. They are not cheep, about $400 or so for the boards.

http://www.ibase-usa.com

There is a large selection of motherboards with ISA slots. There

http://www.ibase-usa.com/MB945.html

I am unable to find a price for the board I selected to look into from them... where did you get your figure, a quote?

I am unable to find a price for the board I selected to look into from them... where did you get your figure, a quote?

I bought one for work to see if I could get a really old CNC machine to work with it (no I could not). I seem to recall it being about $460 w/ shipping and tax.

Here is one for sale.

I fully expected to spend a lot for the luxury of an ISA slot or two on a motherboard, not quite ready to spend yet though, that'll be a bit.

I am talking about an actual BookPC, a BKI810.

If you have any around I'd do anything to steal the BIOS from one (or just outright buy the systems). My BIOS got misflashed and I'm having a HELL OF A TIME trying to flash it with a programmer I bought. I love the little box, and nothing is wrong with it except the BIOS chip that I ruined.

Mine were "disposed" of long ago, sorry. I may have one of the original IR keyboard/remote pair in a box somewhere, though. (I have no video of those specific ones being disposed of, sorry.)

I didn't know that they came with IR gear - if I can ever get this one fixed I'd like to have that.

Back