• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

advancements in storage technology.

Thought this was kinda cool. Just recently extracted this beast of a hard drive from an old machine. It's one of the smallest, yet biggest hard drives I have.* Then I decided to see it up against the smallest, yet biggest storage device I own. (snip) ... a Seagate Wren 2, 80MB hard drive, built in 1990. on top of it is an 8GB micro SD stick, built sometime in 2008.
That hardly seem like a fair comparison; that 8GB uSD card does not have nearly the same write cycles of the Seagate; no where near it in fact...

...Yeah storage space has increased, now I'd like to see a 2.88MB floppy with a 2TB SD card on top.
Here we go ;)
DSC00233.jpg

Photo was taken this afternoon

I would like to see someone photograph a 3,5" floppy together with a ZIP disk (of the same colour). After all, that would be NOT a big difference in size for once.

I would like to see someone photograph a 3,5" floppy together with a ZIP disk (of the same colour). After all, that would be NOT a big difference in size for once.
I'll see what I can do, and if I'm having a real good day, I might even throw in a superdisk for you hehe :p

As I was at it, I went a lil further at taking some more pics (I enjoy taking photographs of older hardware, making them look good. Must be a strange twitch in my brain or something hehe).

6 floppies showing different capacities
DSC00261.jpg

a lil bit closer...
DSC00262.jpg

a lil bit more closer...
DSC00263.jpg

Here some ZIP disks: 100MB, 250MB and 750MB
And a couple Zuperdisks (AKA LS-120 disks). I think the Superdisks look realy nice! Much nicer then the more boring looking ZIP disks :)

DSC00287.jpg

Enjoy!

Edit:Hmm...perhaps should've turned some of the pics counter clockwise

Unfortunately I don't have any floptical disks to show you.
I have some other obscure media, might post some pics of them later

They kick ass. They solve all of the complaints I have about optical media - I wish they had caught on. Basically I hate that optical media is unprotected, and I am really bad about keeping things in cases. With floppies this is not an issue, at least the 3.5" variety (the 5.25" variety is generally fine outside of a case too). It has baffled me since their introduction that optical media has no permanent protective casing when they are so easily damaged, so when I discovered caddies for the first time I was excited. :p

Edit: I looked through the whole thread.. holy crap. I'd love to see that HDD with 3' platters! O.O

I'd love to own that drive..

I found some pictures - the first one looks like it could be fake or real, who knows.. the second one is a platter from one of those beasts turned into a table - win.
new_hard_drive.jpg

hddtable.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how the read and write speeds would compare? I'd imagine the modern media would still win since most of those really old drives had slow transfer rates (and probably bad seek times too, since the density on the disk was so low that the heads had to move a long ways).

I found some pictures - the first one looks like it could be fake or real, who knows.. the second one is a platter from one of those beasts turned into a table - win.

That table is wonderful, I would dearly love to have it in my house!!

.....the second one is a platter from one of those beasts turned into a table - win.....
Now THAT.....is a work of ART! It looks beatiful! Nowdays the best you could do with a harddisk platter is turn it into a coaster for ur beer hehe

I've used a similar drive--a Bryant disk drive. They were known within CDC as the 6603. I've even slipped in a pool of leaking hydraulic fluid from one (these units had containers that would catch the leaking oil). I used to have a platter from one, but got rid of it perhaps 25 years ago.

They have one of those giant platters on the wall at the Centre for Computing History in Suffolk, UK. It's part of a display showing exactly what this thread does: how storage density has increased over the years. I forget what the intermediate devices were, but I think the smallest and most modern when I visited was a 2.5" hard drive. Well worth a visit if you've ever in the area.

Back