• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is This EISA?

Raven

Veteran Member

When I found them I thought they were "interesting white ISA slots that things slid into more easily". I was at that time convinced that EISA just meant 16-bit ISA as opposed to 8-bit, so I didn't even think that it might be something different considering that 16-bit ISA cards were working just fine.

If they are just oddball ISA slots, then I shall henceforth just refer to them as "white ISA slots" or "magical ISA slots" (magical due to the ease of insertion compared to the black ones).

Last edited:
Usually, black = ISA, light brown = EISA, dark brown = VESA Local Bus, and white = PCI. But in the late 486 era, there were some motherboards with white ISA slots.

2w4n3ph.jpg

These are EISA slots (brown), alongside ISA (black). Notice that EISA uses twice as many pins, and has "teeth" recessed into the slots, designed to lock into the corresponding notches in the bus connector of an EISA card.

eisa_l.jpg

EISA card:
eisa1.jpg

Yeah I've seen pictures of the cards (but have none), but that picture of the slots makes things much more clear. Magical white ISA slots it is - lol. For the record it's a Socket 5 Pentium board.

I wonder if there even were boards that had both PCI and EISA.

Yes, tons. Some late 486 Boards had both, and I think ISA was still featured on some P3 boards. The ASUS P3B-F has ISA, PCI and AGP slots.

EDIT: I can read, I swear, but I just realized you said EISA and no ISA.... ;D

I wonder if there even were boards that had both PCI and EISA.

I have a Pentium server with 4 EISA slots and 4 PCI slots.

The strangest system I ever saw had 4 slots but each slot had both an EISA and a PCI connector.

My Abit PV4T also has white ISA slots. It also has on board S3 graphics btw, oldest board I got with onboard VGA.
It's the middle board in this pic

DSC00201.jpg

It's easier to ID EISA when looking at the underside of the board btw. EISA has more solder dots ;)

Yeppers, there was! I have a Gigabyte 486SL that has two EISA slots as well as ISA and one 8-bit.

My oldest board with onboard VGA is this tiny 386 I just fixed today (wouldn't boot). It's got some major RAM problems but nothing I can't sort out with a pile of SIMMs and an afternoon - lol. It's a late 386, due to the size and SMC style, but it's likely from 1990-1993, making it pretty old for onboard anyhow.

My oldest board with onboard VGA is this tiny 386 I just fixed today (wouldn't boot). It's got some major RAM problems but nothing I can't sort out with a pile of SIMMs and an afternoon - lol. It's a late 386, due to the size and SMC style, but it's likely from 1990-1993, making it pretty old for onboard anyhow.

Does it have onboard VGA as a separate VGA-chip or inside the chipset?

Pics or it didn't happen!! ;D

Anyway, I might have another very old board with a modern feature...I just know I have a board which has an onboard fan connector. That wasn't common until the late Pentium era.
Then again maybe I tossed that board years ago, I'll go look when I have time

Does it have onboard VGA as a separate VGA-chip or inside the chipset?

Separate VGA chip.

Pics or it didn't happen!! ;D

Anyway, I might have another very old board with a modern feature...I just know I have a board which has an onboard fan connector. That wasn't common until the late Pentium era.
Then again maybe I tossed that board years ago, I'll go look when I have time

I'll get a pic of the outside of the front and back of the case if ya want, but I'm not opening it again today.

It's a Packard Bell Legend 416SX.

Back