• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

[XT-IDE Project] That was fast!

I just looked at the item on ebay. It's number is Item number:
190401386503. I think it's from Indonesia and the seller priced it at $95.

Sean

Yes, it's from Indonesia:

Bandung Regency, West Java, Indonesia.

Shipping to the U.S. is an additional $35.00. For a short eight bit card that weighs a quarter kilo (that's half a pound for those of us still using imperial units). The seller's English is fairly good. Only one mistake in the secription, and he writes like he knows what he's talking about.

But why would the Chinese be cloning this card?

Sean

Even though it may look quite similar to the XT-IDE card, it's not the came card in fact. Our card has a completely different layout, and it doesn't have any kind of microcontroller on it (like this one seems to have).

So, sorry, but false alarm.

But why would the Chinese be cloning this card?
I took the original post as fact, that is, someone had constructed one of the VCF's XT-IDE cards and placed it on eBay.

My "Hang on. It could be a Chinese clone." was intended as a funny remark, i.e. the VCF's XT-IDE has become so popular, that the Chinese had decided to clone it.

I have an ebay search agent that keeps trolling for me. I saw this too, and my heart leaped as I did actually send one of the cards to indonesia, and the steam started to roll from my ears, but then I saw that it wasn't ours...

This however is a perfect segway into something I wanted to post here:

I recently picked up four 8088 class machines from a local university. I don't need them, and was planning on putting them on ebay. I've only refurbished one of them so far, and the HDD is dead, so I can't sell it as stock.

I was thinking that it would be a great selling feature to put an XTIDE in this (and other?) machines and sell them with 10G hard drives.

This is of course a violation of my own policy of not selling XTIDEs on ebay!
To counter that, I was thinking of *clearly* marking in the item description that this machine includes an XTIDE, giving a link to the wiki page, and stating that the estimated cost of the card is about $30 and to factor that into the bidding price.

That also got me thinking about folks that have purchased cards, and then for whatever reason, they decide to get out of the hobby and want to sell the machine+card. That of course needs to be legal.

I dunno. Suggestions?

Guys...it's a Juko D16-X. Old. I have one. Not a clone of the VCF XT-IDE.

I have a thread about this card somewhere on here. It uses drive type numbers and as such is limited to 100-something MB drives max.

It will handle both 8 and 16 bit IDE drives with the correct settings applied. I believe it to be rather rare.

I don't see a need for preventing selling the card /in/ a machine, as long as someone isn't buying them here, assembled for $35, and reselling just the card for profit on eBay. I think of it as similar to how I sell some of the not-so-vintage hardware I come across: I install Linux, which is open-source and not to be sold for profit so that whoever gets the machine can easily confirm that all the hardware works, but doesn't have to deal with Microsoft licensing issues. I'm not selling Linux, it's included at whatever cost it takes to burn the CD/DVD image to a real disk, but its inclusion definitely adds value to the system over just a bare formatted hard drive.

I've actually run into such an issue myself -- I used the XT-IDE board with a CF adapter to add a 32 MB hard drive to one of my IBM 5150s. Unfortunately, we're moving halfway up the east coast, so the 5150 will probably get sold, since I've got two. I was really hesitant to include the XT-IDE board since someone might think I'd bought it for the sole purpose of increasing the value of something I wanted to sell. Fortunately, I had a MFM hard disk with full-height faceplate to put in the unit.

my 2 cents, these XT-IDE cards were made in very small numbers. They would be hard to replace. If you sell one, the seller would be the loser. These cards are really very important if you want to use old machines with old software. Something's you just don't sell because someday you will need it.

framer

my 2 cents, these XT-IDE cards were made in very small numbers. They would be hard to replace. If you sell one, the seller would be the loser. These cards are really very important if you want to use old machines with old software. Something's you just don't sell because someday you will need it.

framer

Exactly my reason for buying one. As explained during the buying process, I don't currently have a system to use it in, but I have a project build that I intend to use it in and I'd be forever shooting myself in the foot not to buy one.

There would be times of course where an owner of one may have greater needs - facing bankruptcy or whatever - where selling assets becomes a priority. In such a case I think resale to another forum member is probably acceptable (because without this community, the card would not exist...correct?), so if selling, at least keep it "in the family"

The XT-IDE card from this site, might I add, is about a billion times more useful than the Juko card linked to earlier. Latency issues that are beyond comprehension exist with the Juko which do not exist with XT-IDE...and the lack of drive type number limits is fantastic.

I recently picked up four 8088 class machines from a local university. I don't need them, and was planning on putting them on ebay. I've only refurbished one of them so far, and the HDD is dead, so I can't sell it as stock.

I was thinking that it would be a great selling feature to put an XTIDE in this (and other?) machines and sell them with 10G hard drives.

This is of course a violation of my own policy of not selling XTIDEs on ebay!
To counter that, I was thinking of *clearly* marking in the item description that this machine includes an XTIDE, giving a link to the wiki page, and stating that the estimated cost of the card is about $30 and to factor that into the bidding price.

That also got me thinking about folks that have purchased cards, and then for whatever reason, they decide to get out of the hobby and want to sell the machine+card. That of course needs to be legal.

I dunno. Suggestions?

I personally don't care if it is in a machine, or even if it used as a feature of said machine. Just as long as the card does not show up on E-Bay by itself for profit.

But unrelated to that, what kind of 8088 machines are these? I am thinking about getting a non-IBM version for myself, so I may save you the E-Bay hassle. PM me I guess if that sounds good.

Perhaps put a "Powered by an XT-IDE" sticker on the front of it. ;D

How does one obtain one of these famous XT-IDE adapters? I'm looking for the already built 'n ready to go kind. My soldering skills are lacking to say the least!

Could always put on the next batch of printed cards, This Card is not for resale on EBAY, prinited right into the circuit board itself. Then if the board does show up on EBAY, HARGLE can request that he is the copyright holder and have it removed.

:)

Check with lynchaj if he has any of the circuit boards left, then you can get your own parts.

Back