• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can't connect with INTERLNK in Windows

linuxlove

Veteran Member
So I finally got another computer that will work well enough for my Win9x needs.
It's a Compaq Presario 7599 running Windows 98 SE.
The cable I'm using is the same one as last time, when I still had the 486: A Symantec PCAnywhere parallel cable.
I put device=c:\dos\interlnk.exe in CONFIG.SYS on the PS/2 and load INTERSVR on the Compaq.
Start up INTERSVR and then turn on the PS/2.
This time, it doesn't connect, but only gives a "Connection NOT established" error all the time.
I've tried DOS mode on Win98 and running in Windows mode, both give the same results.

Now, I try a DOS boot disk and do the same thing. This time, it works!
I don't want to load a DOS boot disk every time I want to link the PS/2 and Compaq together, so does anyone know why it wouldn't work in Windows or Windows DOS mode?

When discussing the downsides of using INTERLNK, the book 'Windows 95 Secrets' includes, "It doesn't work with Windows (it doesn't even come with Windows 95, only DOS 6.x)."

When discussing the downsides of using INTERLNK, the book 'Windows 95 Secrets' includes, "It doesn't work with Windows (it doesn't even come with Windows 95, only DOS 6.x)."

Haha, that's funny, but probably true. There's lots of bizarre posts on the net about using interlnk with Win95 and Win98, but I bet it's just air. From my perspective, one of the UPsides of using DOS is that DOS programs (like interlnk) run really well. :)

Interesting...
I seem to remember getting interlnk to work with 95... but that was a LONG time ago...

1st things first... make sure both machines have the parallel port set up the same, std, bidir, ecp, whatever.
I would avoid ECP and stick to std or bidir... particularly when the older machine may not be 'compatible' enough...

I have noticed on my most recent uses that sometimes the connection needs 'refreshing'... usually by rebooting the LINK end.
I have been playing/archiving some old Tandy laptops and they are not.... consistent.... at times. (UNDERSTATEMENT ALERT!!!)

I may have to build a 95 drive.... just to test this again. PRETTY sure I was able to connect way-back-when, but the ole noggin is getting foggy these days. :shock:

leeb: I may have to build a 95 drive.... just to test this again. PRETTY sure I was able to connect way-back-when,
Weren't there also some significantly different versions of Win95? I know the first had no USB support and the last one did. Anyway, the OP says he is using Windows 98 SE.

Nope.

For the record, when I used the 486 to do INTERLNK, it was running Windows 95.
No issues with Interlink in W98SE AFAIK; in fact when you install it the PIF/shortcut has a cute little icon. I use it quite regularly to transfer data to/from laptops without floppy/NIC/USB; no need to exit to DOS, when you start INTERSVR from Windows it will shut down Windows automatically, start INTERSVR, and restart Windows when finished.

Check your port settings, specify the port explicitly in both LNK and SVR to avoid it getting confused during the port scan, and if all else fails try it using a null modem serial connection if possible.

Whoops, forgot about those PIF files again...
Made a shortcut to INTERSVR, ran the PIF and it works fine.
Another case of overlooking solved :D

i've never had a problem using interlnk in windows 9x as long as the port i wanted to use was not touched by windows. (as in, making windows think it doesnt even exist)

i could run it in the command prompt just fine that way. i've actually been able to do it from windows XP without any issues, but in vista/7 i have to use it under DOSBOX. try that, it should work as long as you configure DOSBOX to use your actual serial port.

So I finally got another computer that will work well enough for my Win9x needs.
It's a Compaq Presario 7599 running Windows 98 SE.
The cable I'm using is the same one as last time, when I still had the 486: A Symantec PCAnywhere parallel cable.
I put device=c:\dos\interlnk.exe in CONFIG.SYS on the PS/2 and load INTERSVR on the Compaq.
Start up INTERSVR and then turn on the PS/2.
This time, it doesn't connect, but only gives a "Connection NOT established" error all the time.
I've tried DOS mode on Win98 and running in Windows mode, both give the same results.

Now, I try a DOS boot disk and do the same thing. This time, it works!
I don't want to load a DOS boot disk every time I want to link the PS/2 and Compaq together, so does anyone know why it wouldn't work in Windows or Windows DOS mode?

when you see Starting Windows 98... press F5 immediately. it'll bypass everything in config.sys and autoexec.bat and drop you to a clean DOS shell.

Back