• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Xerox 16/8 on the way...

I am sure the locals are used to it, takes weeks for somebody in a different climate to get somewhat used to that heat asuming they don't stroke out or sweat to death first.

I didn't have the pleasure to meet any of the natives. The Army likes to keep things all nice and segregated.

145 degrees is hot, but yes, it was a dry heat, as was the 118 in Baghdad. That said, I would take the 118 there than the 103 or so we've been having here in Ft Hood recently. 102 is miserable when your sweat doesn't want to evaporate. Makes lawn work oh-so-enjoyable :( Really miss my wonderful native Pacific-Northwest weather *sigh*

145 can go suck it, humid or not, I would be happy if I never had to suffer that again.
__
Trevor

I didn't have the pleasure to meet any of the natives. The Army likes to keep things all nice and segregated.

145 degrees is hot, but yes, it was a dry heat, as was the 118 in Baghdad. That said, I would take the 118 there than the 103 or so we've been having here in Ft Hood recently. 102 is miserable when your sweat doesn't want to evaporate. Makes lawn work oh-so-enjoyable :( Really miss my wonderful native Pacific-Northwest weather *sigh*

145 can go suck it, humid or not, I would be happy if I never had to suffer that again.
__
Trevor

It's been sooooooo nice here in Seattle the past few days. Foggy in the morning, but once it breaks in the afternoon it remains in the high 70's, low 80's and sunny. Perfect weather. The Pacific NW misses you.

In regards to this ordeal, I have nothing but my sympathies for you. What angers me the most is not so much that the seller backed out of the deal but that the reason, as you pointed out, was likely his delusion after seeing a similar one posted for $889 or however much it is (I actually saw that listing, too...)

I get that a lot of vintage hardware is getting scarce, but that is the purpose of auction style listings... Let the market decide the demand. When sellers do what sellers have been doing as of late, the machines end up being relisted endlessly and never make it to a good home. Then, the monkey see monkey do syndrome kicks in and future listings will "demand" the ridiculous prices.

Most people who really appreciate these machines will pay a premium for them... But, even premiums have their limits, and the prices these sellers are imposing have stretched that notion to extremes.

Update: He relisted it for $999 starting bid, auction style.

I'm really thinking of taking him to small claims court now. This is really too much.
That's my machine. At the very least, I'm going to call eBay tomorrow and see if I can't get his account banned.

I'm so steamed now...
I need to get to bed.

:(
__
Trevor

Very poor timing for this person to list that computer with a starting bid of $999. In the last couple of days, 2 VERY nice Xerox machines have been listed with a starting bid of $99. 1/10th what the other seller is asking.

I'm really thinking of taking him to small claims court now. This is really too much.
That's my machine. At the very least, I'm going to call eBay tomorrow and see if I can't get his account banned.

I'm so steamed now...
I need to get to bed.

__
Trevor

I would certainly pursue action against the seller. Unfortunately, the only satisfaction you may get from all of this is the seller banned from eBay and you still not getting the machine. Don't get too upset about what has happened here. I agree that what he did to you was real crappy. But really nice machines come available on eBay all the time, so keep your ear to the ground an you'll find something else.

In this day and age where "anything goes in making a buck", does it really surprise you? It's not just the heads of corporations. Plenty of their minions that work at all levels are quick to do the devil's bidding when money or job advancement is involved. And see where this country is now because of it.

Chuck

I would certainly pursue action against the seller. Unfortunately, the only satisfaction you may get from all of this is the seller banned from eBay and you still not getting the machine. Don't get too upset about what has happened here. I agree that what he did to you was real crappy. But really nice machines come available on eBay all the time, so keep your ear to the ground an you'll find something else.

In this day and age where "anything goes in making a buck", does it really surprise you? It's not just the heads of corporations. Plenty of their minions that work at all levels are quick to do the devil's bidding when money or job advancement is involved. And see where this country is now because of it.

Chuck

Agree with Chuck. It's not surprising, but still a very crappy thing for the seller to do. If it wasn't because I care about my eBay rep, I'd bid on it and then not follow through. See how he feels about it when it happens to him, instead.

I'm so steamed now...
I need to get to bed.

__
Trevor

Hi, I fear that the seller does not even get banned from ebay... they wont help you - this is my experience.

This behavior from the seller really sucks.. I hate such sellers.. his feedback looks pretty good - so he knew what he did ... he is not an ebay newbie; but he screwed you. We here in the forum can do someting to help you at least to get a little satisfaction back:

I reported now the xerox item as fraudulent auction - just click "report item" and choose fraudulent item.. or similar.. if more people do that ebay might end the auction.
In my experience you wont get the item until you go to court; so I'd give him a negative soon..

BR from europe

Hi, I fear that the seller does not even get banned from ebay... they wont help you - this is my experience.

This behavior from the seller really sucks.. I hate such sellers.. his feedback looks pretty good - so he knew what he did ... he is not an ebay newbie; but he screwed you. We here in the forum can do someting to help you at least to get a little satisfaction back:

I reported now the xerox item as fraudulent auction - just click "report item" and choose fraudulent item.. or similar.. if more people do that ebay might end the auction.
In my experience you wont get the item until you go to court; so I'd give him a negative soon..

BR from europe

Great and justified idea! I just sent back and reported it as fraudulent. Under the description I entered:

"This item was sold under a different listing, but the seller did not ship, relisted, inflated price."

You first started this thread July 17th. Remember that there is a time limit to file a claim with eBay and PayPal! If you go over that time, they won't even talk to you. So, get a strategy soon on how you want to approach the claim.

Chuck

I called eBay (after 5 min finding the number & pin, then 10 levels of menus, and then 20 min of hold) and reported the new item.
The support lady said after they investigate there isn't really anyway they wouldn't remove the new listing, but she isn't the one to make that call.
She also said that it's usually 2-3 complaints like this before a seller is banned though, but it's possible on the first case, depending on how he reacts, etc.

She seemed very empathetic, and said she was an active eBay user as well and has had problems with sellers not completing sales.

Oh, and Mr. "srekeptrank" doesn't have 100% positive feedback any longer. This is the first time I've ever actually left negative feedback, and not just positive with unpleasant wording.

I guess it's back to waiting now... I hate waiting :(

Thanks for all the support though, everyone :)
__
Trevor

I would not let a seller get away with this -- a "buy it now" is supposed to be a final transaction, end of story. Even auction cancellations and bid retractions are viewed dimly by eBay, but this is worse. The whole point of dealing through eBay (and paying their surcharges) is to not have to deal with this kind of BS. Otherwise, why not just use Craigslist?

Oh, it isn't - but I'm not going to let him off without any consequence either.

I'm really eyeing the other 16/8 that just showed up... with 5 1/4 HD and floppies, and all its disks & docs :)

__
Trevor

Well it looks like the one you originally bid on didn't sell at $999.99. The seller relisted it at the same price.
Any luck with bidding on the Xerox 16/8?

Yea, I noticed that. After reading my feedback he said he's going to sue me for slander... I'm not worried :p

I did bid on the other 16/8, but didn't win it. Probably a good thing. I really do have too many computers. So many projects and not enough time, or space, or (increasingly) money. *sigh*
I need to start working on my projects and not always getting more stuff or starting new projects :(

I'm taking (hopefully, have to see if it's approved this week) ~2 weeks off work next week, so we shall see what happens. A friend from HS is flying in, taking a break of his own, and we'll spend the first week together, just geeking around :p
The next week will be all me! No schedules or dern alarm clocks! Woohoooooo!!!

I'm hoping to rearrange my garage to make better use of my storage areas and be able to get at more things. Eventually I want to build an outbuilding in the back yard, but I want to design it modularly so it can be disassembled in case whomever buys the house later doesn't like it (plus acc. to the city, my entire backyard is a "green area and utility easement" in which nothing but green stuff can be placed...:rolleyes:
But I don't think anyone is gonna complain, and code enforcement is all complaint driven heh
There are sheds all over the neighborhood in the "green area and utility easement" anyway, as well as fences, which acc. to the permits dept, aren't supposed to be there anyway! lol

Crazy.

Anyway, I guess I'll have fun with my Kaypro 10 :) (oops... just bought a second one... *sigh* :p )
__
Trevor

Saw the feedback you left and I thought it was appropriate. The seller's reply was nothing short of being weird.

"a mistake in my listing is not fraud, the love of money is the root of all evil"

If the love of money applies to anyone it should be the seller!

Back