• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Linux on their 486 class machines.

I currently run m0n0wall (FreeBSD) on a 486-class Soekris net4511 as my router/firewall, and have a Slackware Linux 10.0 install on one of the partitions on my Gateway HandBook's 2 GB CF card.

My first at-home Linux experience was Mandrake Linux 8 or 9 on a 66 MHz DX-2 with 32 MB RAM. Needless to say, I was running console-only. I was also running MINIX 2.0.2 on a 33 MHz 386DX at the time, with IIRC 8 MB RAM (this actually acted as a web server!). For a long time, I used a Compaq Prolinea NET/1 (which Raven now owns!) with a 66 MHz 486DX-2 and 24 MB RAM, running Slackware Linux 9 with a custom-compiled 2.6-branch kernel for developing hardware odds-and-ends that connected to the parallel port. I even developed hardware to control a 3-Nixie-tube display from the parallel port and wrote Linux and Windows applications to display CPU utilization on it.

The coolest Linux-running 486 I had ran for years as a firewall/router in my rack at my parents' house. It began its life as an AT&T branded pizzabox desktop, but I modified its case a /lot/ to produce a 3U rackmount chassis with the ISA slots and backplane facing the front of the rack. Unfortunately, pictures are somewhere on the file server at home.

I ran Red Hat 6 on my Compaq Presario 660 (66 MHz 486SX, 24 MB RAM) for several years as my firewall/router. I had an oddball DEC Ethernet card and an NE2000 clone in it. It worked pretty well, but I eventually had to replace it with a Linksys router because my job at the time wouldn't let me VPN in to work unless I used a network device they configured. Of course the Linksys was a lot smaller and consumed less power.

I ran some other Linux distros on that same hardware, but definitely liked Red Hat best. In the late 1990s I didn't have a lot of choices.

I helped a couple of other friends build Red Hat 6-based routers out of old 486SXs in the late 1990s, when dedicated wired routers cost $200 or more. The smallest box we got it running on was something like a 20 or 25 MHz 486SX with 16 MB RAM. It was some obscure early 1990s brand, like Leading Technology. That was a painful install off a 2X CD-ROM. I remember the experience well; I just don't recall the exact make and specs of the machine. He ran it for a good 8-9 years, at least, until he wanted wireless and bought a Netgear device.

Similar story here ...

I put RedHat 6.1 on a 486DX2-66 to use it as a firewall/router when I first got a cable modem in 2000. I had the machine since 1994, and this was it's second mission after being my primary desktop for 6 years. (It had run OS/2 2.11 and Warp, but that's a different thread.) The machine still runs today, although only on occasion - it was replaced with a Linksys router about 5 years ago.

I recently installed RedHat 6.1 on another 486-66 and it was agonizingly slow. I've gotten quite spoiled in the last 10 years. :)

I used to run a very old version of RedHat 2 or (3?) on a 486 here as a mail server and still have it installed. But the system hasn't seen the live end of a power cord in a few years.

I recently installed RedHat 6.1 on another 486-66 and it was agonizingly slow. I've gotten quite spoiled in the last 10 years. :)

Indeed. I installed one of the Linuxappliance.org distributions from CD on an Athlon XP box a few weeks ago. It took less than 10 minutes. On a faster box, installing off a USB flash drive, who knows how fast it would have been?

In the late 90s I had a 486 box setup with NetBSD (starting with 1.3) for use to serve NetBSD/sun3 on diskless Sun-3/160 clones (never got their SMD disks or tape drive to work). I also played FreeCiv on that one a bit :)

Within the last couple years I've played around with Debian and Damn Small Linux and FreeBSD on a couple of other 486's (what rekindled my interest was a 486 tower was found in a warehouse owned by my workplace). I had to run really old versions to get X to work though, but I haven't played with them for months.

0907090110a.jpg

Last edited:
I've got Mandrake 6 something on a my Presario 486. Agreed the installation took while, no surprise there really. Pruned all the, in my opion, unneeded stuff and was really surprised how well it runs. Every bit of hardware was picked up. WindowMaker is my default window manager, so that helps a bit. I quite like how you set up the menu and large buttons for most used suff (good those with failing sight ;)) and not a taskbar in sight.

I guess the best thing about it is the networking side of things. Plays nicely with any OS. A doodle to set up. Set the share directory up, copied and edited the smb.conf file off my higher end box restarted samba and wammo! No damn system reset.

Haven't tried to compile my own kernel yet. Must give it a go sometime.

Attachments

• md6.JPG
    md6.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Unix on 486

Unix on 486

Honestly, I don't run Linux on those old machines, I prefer to run older operating systems. I have SVR4 and SVR3 running on my 486 boxes, and I still use them, though mostly for play these days. And command line interface only, of course. I do some C programming, and use n/troff -ms to write articles and such.

I miss those days, when both the hardware and the software were much more approachable. I was able to understand just about everything about the OS, and the hardware. Today, at least for me, this is a hopeless task.

Cheers,
Tom
www.thisoldmicro.com

I posted this before so I'll try to keep this shorter but when I had first tried to install linux (1997 maybe?) I tried Redhat which immediately failed to install. I was a bit flustered, tried a few times and tested my hardware but it was never happy. I tried FreeBSD which worked, then tried Debian which worked but was obviously a less friendly feel to it. Finally somehow I ended up chatting with someone who worked for TurboLinux who was about the same age and a really nice dude. He sent me some one version old copies of their software (the pres of the company supported that since they can't sell them) and explained that most distros had gotten away from their roots of the original kernel except a handful (debian, slackware, turbolinux) and required Pentium or higher processors.

Long story short I ended up running TurboLinux and then later FreeBSD again on my older systems.

He sent me some one version old copies of their software (the pres of the company supported that since they can't sell them) and explained that most distros had gotten away from their roots of the original kernel except a handful (debian, slackware, turbolinux) and required Pentium or higher processors.
Curiously enough the Mandrake version I've got on the Presario is supposed to be for Pentium class machines according to the box. It installed and runs fine though. Others that installed and ran fine were RH 5.2 as well as RH 6.0, Mandrake 6.1 for those interested. My understanding was that TurboLinux was a repackaged Red Hat variant not unlike Mandrake. Glad it worked for you. Can you recall the version?

Attachments

• linux2.JPG
    linux2.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'll give DOSEMU a shot next time Presario is fired up. I think there's an rpm on the installation CD.
http://www.dosemu.org/

While I was out in the garage yesterday looking for Dos disks I tripped over a book entitled LINUX System Administrators Black Book. It's based around RH 6.2 and has a lot of interesting info. Have to pop into work though to get my reading glasses. Will take the dog for a walk to get them. Has a section on Kernel management I'm going to dig into.

Last edited:
i've run DOSEMU on my IBM PS/2 Model 8580, which is a 20 (or 16?) MHz 386 DX. it runs Debian 2.1 "Slink" and it handles it surprisingly well. DOSEMU runs well enough to handle text-based DOS apps acceptably. i'd estimate it emulates at around 30-40% the speed of an 8088.

Slackware 1.something on a 486SX with 16mb until I upgraded to Red Hat 3. something for a short while then installed FreeBSD 3.5 or 3.6? via about 33 or 35 1.4mb floppys .

I still have that 486 .

Back