• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MicroDrive Boot Menu

willgonz

So I got one of those Compact Flash drives for the Apple IIGS. I installed GS/OS and also ProSel-8 boot menu. But is there a way that I can just run a program and the system would reboot and select another boot volume. It would be nice to have a ProDos program that you could just do -boot1 and it would be the same as Control+Open Apple+Reset and then Open Apple+1 and to boot number 6 you would do -boot6 and it would reboot and boot volume 6.

Any ideas?

So I got one of those Compact Flash drives for the Apple IIGS. I installed GS/OS and also ProSel-8 boot menu. But is there a way that I can just run a program and the system would reboot and select another boot volume. It would be nice to have a ProDos program that you could just do -boot1 and it would be the same as Control+Open Apple+Reset and then Open Apple+1 and to boot number 6 you would do -boot6 and it would reboot and boot volume 6.

Any ideas?
I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but I've been on the fence about getting one of these flash drives. Aside from the issue you listed above, do you like the device? Are you able to store the majority of your programs and games on it, or are you finding that a lot of them cant be ran from the flash drive and require the actual disk?

I got mine from RetroActive. If I were to do it again I would go with the Dual so you can have one that is your boot volume and one that is your Images volume.

I got around the DOS3.3 part by using a program called DOS.Master basically I took one of my 32meg ProDos volumes and installed DOS.MASTER on it and made all the DOS3.3 Volumes I can. Now I am copying games and loaders to the volumes. When a Volume gets full I switch to another volume and copy games and the loader. Some games aren't DOS3.3 or ProDos and I am unable to copy the game to the volume. I think someone makes a device that you plug a card into your Apple II and plug a USB cable to a PC. Then you run a utility and pick the Disks you want the Apple II to mount and it mounts it. But I don't remember where I saw that.

I like the the one I got because you can connect a laptop HD to it. I also have a Apple SCSI Controller card and with that I have a 2G HD and a 135MB Syquest. I plug the Syquest into a PC with a SCSI card and load it up using Ciderpress. Now I want a VGA Controller and a device to emulate floppies and then I'll be set.

I got mine from RetroActive. If I were to do it again I would go with the Dual so you can have one that is your boot volume and one that is your Images volume.

I got around the DOS3.3 part by using a program called DOS.Master basically I took one of my 32meg ProDos volumes and installed DOS.MASTER on it and made all the DOS3.3 Volumes I can. Now I am copying games and loaders to the volumes. When a Volume gets full I switch to another volume and copy games and the loader. Some games aren't DOS3.3 or ProDos and I am unable to copy the game to the volume. I think someone makes a device that you plug a card into your Apple II and plug a USB cable to a PC. Then you run a utility and pick the Disks you want the Apple II to mount and it mounts it. But I don't remember where I saw that.

I would like to just reboot and the other partition. I tried doing DOS.MASTER from my main drive but it doesn't work because the partition you start from is always Slot1, Drive 1 with the MicroDrive.
I looked at that other guys and that wasn't it.

I purchased one of the ReactiveMicro MicroDrives and absolutely love it. I find it most useful in moving software over from my PC, which I download from the net, onto the CF card, then simply walk the CF card to the IIGS, boot it up and I have access to the files. I never bothered to screw around with serial connections and ADTPro - too much hassle when the CF card is quite easy & no cables to contend with. I have 2 hard drives also connected to my IIGS, so coupled with the CF card, I have plenty of storage.

The CF cards are nice in that you can dedicated on to, say, games, another to utilities, another to productivity software, etc., and swap them easily. And Henry is a great guy, so if you need any assistance, he's there for you. I haven't had a bit of problem with my MicroDrive, but I, too, wish now that I purchased the dual drive rather than the single.

I thought "MicroDrive" was a registered trademark for the little CF-interface hard drives. At least I've got an IBM version that's labeled with that moniker.

Back