• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Compaq Portable Parts

bluethunder

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a keyboard for a compaq portable (first one)..

Or, if your located in canada, I'd consider taking the entire machine if the plastic is in good shape.

Trying to bring my portable back to life.

if you don't mind popping the keyboard open, and seeing if has 2 chips labeled 22-950-3b and 22-908-3, i would be interested in it, just for those 2

I'm not sure if these are compatible parts, but I have the guts of a keytronic keyboard with two 40-pin chips on the board. One is labled 22-00958-000 / C5145B and the other 20417-22/8031 / KHJ516 9005KM.

Can I ask why you need to replace yours? If the problem is that some of the keys arent working than thats completely repairable. However if its something more permanent, like hardware-related, then disregard :)

Portables go for pretty cheap these days though.

As far as I can tell, one of the chips on the keyboard, that scans the capacitive array, has failed. And being a custom part, there is no data available on these chips.

I am going to put everything I've learned on a website, which should double the amount of info from 1 page to 2.. :(

First off not trying to hijack your thread Bluethunder but I find myself in need of the exact same 2 chips. I think it may be a common issue in these keyboards. So I too am in need of a keyboard! I also heard they can be found in the Apple Lisa keyboard!

Bluethunder, The problem may not be the chips but the keyboard contacts. The board is a capacaive type made by keytronics. See this post on how to repair it: http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-kb_repair.html

I know it's about the lisa keyboard but I can verify it is the same problem. All my contacts except one was bad. Am currently working on mine to fix it. Trick is foam diameter and thickness.

HTH :p

Bluethunder, The problem may not be the chips but the keyboard contacts. The board is a capacaive type made by keytronics. See this post on how to repair it: http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-kb_repair.html

I know it's about the lisa keyboard but I can verify it is the same problem. All my contacts except one was bad. Am currently working on mine to fix it. Trick is foam diameter and thickness.

HTH :p

Frank,

Did you buy a kit or are you making the repair parts yourself? If making the parts, what materials did you use? I got my Compaq portable repaired and booting up. The keyboard however is totally unresponsive. I tested it using the procedure in the repair manual and all the voltages and pulses are correct according to the schematic.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, Well I got lucky and opened up my DTC 101 keyboard and it had nearly the exact kind of pads. I removed them all and placed into the compaq keyboard. I was not sure if this was going to work because they were taller than the originals. I held my breath and fired up the compaq and to my amazement all keys were working:p If you go the DIY route save the bottoms of the old pads if you are going to make new ones. You can tell if the pads are bad they not have a mirror like refection but will be clear and will basically disintegrate when you touch them. As for a replacement for the foil/mylar pads I heard the ESD bags cut to size work really well.

The DTC keyboard part number is BTC-5339 if that helps anyone.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Wasn't expecting to see this thread rise from the dead.

Mine was a combination, the foam pads had rotted, but I also had the dead chip. I replaced all the pads with an ebay kit (3/5 quality + fitment), and most of the keys work well enough now.

I wound up buying that compaq from NEXT, and swapping the keyboard out, and then the repaired pads from my other original keyboard, because the 2 were different internally.

The old compaq (low 3000s serial #) soldiers on, now with an XT IDE Card, and a 128mb CF card. I need a memory board for it, its only a 256k machine, and the quadboard is toast. from battery juice.

The other one I'm going to keep for spares, and maybe convert the case over to a modern atx mainboard and 9" LCD display.

We kind of have a compaq portable ressurection thread going here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...r-Supply&p=157045&highlight=compaq#post157045

Last edited:
Back