• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM Screws

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I was not able to attach the spec sheet for these screws because the attachment manager prevents the size of the PDF (256k).

The screws are slotted hex with attached washer, 3/8" inch length. Thread sizes are 8-32 and 6-32. Composition is 18-8 Stainless Steel. The slotted head size may be the same size for each screw even though the thread size is different. I won't know actually until they arrive from the factory.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what screw size they are and I haven't done this since it was my main system but I replaced most of my case screws with thumb screws and always enjoyed the result. But some screws certainly weren't universal, I bought some at one point I think for my Zenith Z-150 and I think they didn't work in my new system or only worked in my new system and not the Zenith (one of the two.. they were two big I think on the newer system), but they ended up fitting my Amiga 2000 fine. If you're tearing open a system often I think it's a nice touch, though I never thought about the original screws being a collectible issue.

I'm just restoring a 5150 and noticed a mixture of screws. Even a robertson sheet metal screw! Luckily it didn't do any damage, but I would be interested in seeing exactly what the 3 screws holding the top on should look like. I think I got it right, but not sure.

Also, the screws that hold in the cards had two kinds, and they both look right. One kind is round-head phillips and black. Since one was in the blackface floppy controller, I tend to think that it is right. However, there were also some hex/slot longer, andsmaller than most, ones which decidedly looked vintage.

A picture layout of the right ones, for which place, on what machine, would be a good resource for restorers. :)

I think what the OP is talking about are the 6-32 slotted hex-head screws with the undersized (3/16" ?) head. Those can be very difficult to find.

I think what the OP is talking about are the 6-32 slotted hex-head screws with the undersized (3/16" ?) head. Those can be very difficult to find.

That sounds like what's on 3 of my cards in the 5150. Yes a 3/16" socket fits, but it seems a bit loose. Unless it is metric (is that possible?) it looks like 7/32". I measure the length as 11/32" - presumably a nominal 3/8".

I have one left over which has a nylon washer. I wonder if that is what they all had once. I have that kind for the two holding the MB in place.

Is this the screw that was also used for the floppy drive and the speaker?

A picture layout of the right ones, for which place, on what machine, would be a good resource for restorers.

I believe the 8/32 (larger) of the screws are used for mounting the cover to the chassis and the 6/32 (smaller) of the screws are used for almost everything inside (from mouting drives to the chassis, to mounting card brackets to the chassis).

Just a nit--they're 6-32 and 8-32 screws, i.e. SAE #6 and #8, 32 threads per inch, not 8/32 and 6/32.

I recall at one job, I asked my supervisor to get a 6-32 drill and tap. He showed up with a 3/16" drill and a 1/4-20 tap, apologetically stating that they were the closest thing to 3/16 that he could find...

lyonadmiral: I believe the 8/32 (larger) of the screws are used for mounting the cover to the chassis and the 6/32 (smaller) of the screws are used for almost everything inside (from mouting drives to the chassis, to mounting card brackets to the chassis).

Thanks. So the smaller ones have hex/slot heads, but what kind of head does the cover screws have?

Also, I seem to remember seeing a round head sheet metal screws on old speaker holders, but perhaps that was on ATs.

So the smaller ones have hex/slot heads, but what kind of head does the cover screws have?
To my knowledge, the larger screw that was used to keep the cover on used the same style head. It was a little larger than the inside screw, but the same flat hex with washer built in.

Thanks modem7. It looks like there is interest in this subject. I'm still not convinced that there were only two screw styles. Yes the thread is the same in the floppy drives as on the card holders, but the slots on the drive bay are so wide that there is not a lot of overlap with these narrow heads. Were there washers installed here?

I am also dubious about the plastic speaker bracket using a long machine screw. It feels cross threaded and doesn't fit well physically. I've seen chromed round-head (flattish) sheet metal type screws uses in ATs. It would be a more suitable screw for the plastic.

I also see no discussion about the finish. Does that vary?

It would be nice if someone with a NIB system would post pictures of all of them.

Yep. there simply wasn't a lot of "overlap" on the drive bay screws. The PC/XT/AT were not marvels of mechanic design detail.

Regarding the speaker bracket screw, I believe that only clones used the correct choice of screw suitable for plastic, IBMs used the 6-32 machine screw.

Yep. there simply wasn't a lot of "overlap" on the drive bay screws. The PC/XT/AT were not marvels of mechanic design detail.

Thanks for chiming in Paul. That gives me a bit more confidence.

Regarding the speaker bracket screw, I believe that only clones used the correct choice of screw suitable for plastic, IBMs used the 6-32 machine screw.

That makes sense. My memory isn't clear on what I've seen, regarding clones or IBM. Oh well, I guess I'll still leave the "clone" screw in anyway, because I'm one screw short on my current 5051 project. (And in a lot of other ways too!) :p

Screws are now available!

Screws are now available!

The screws are now in and they are now available.

6/32 x 3/8 (.20 each shipped)

8/32 x 3/8 (.20 each shipped)

Pictures of each screw are attached.

Attachments

• MVC-525F.jpg
    MVC-525F.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MVC-524F.jpg
    MVC-524F.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2
I've got a bunch of the black, blue, and brass-coloured 6-32 screws as well as the small metric black ones used for 3.5"FDDs & CD-ROMs; nobody was interested in that prvious thread, but maybe someone here needs a few.

Also various sizes of the slotted #15 Torx screws used in Compaqs and HPs.

lyonadmiral,

The screws you have are they Phillips drive or slotted? I am looking for standard computer screws (Phillips drive, hex cap with built in washer) but instead of the std. 6-32 size I need 8-32s. I'd be interested in buying a few from you if you have Phillips drive.

Back