• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got a IBM 5151, and soon a 5150 but have a question

Ioncannon

Experienced Member
I read today that plugging a 5151 into a CGA Card will fry the monitor. Is this true? If it is, I am lucky because I probably would have done so not knowing. I also have a Commodore PC10. Is the 5151 compatible with video out on that machine? When I bought the PC10, it was had a photo of it running on a 5151, so I assume so. Finally I have seen some videos of people playing various games using that monitor; I am assuming its using a Hercules card correct? Found one at a thrift store (however it was just laying in a pile of cards, so I don't know if it even works).

According to Trixter:

"btw, not possible to break either monitor on either card this way; the frequencies were different, but not exceedingly high which is what breaks monitors"

I tend to trust his word on CGA related stuff.

The PC10 should have a video card that does both CGA and HGC (switchable), iirc.
As far as I know you need to make sure it is in HGC mode when connected to the 5151, then you can run CGA software with an emulator like SimCGA.

I never tried to connect a 5151 to a CGA card. The question must have come up before on the forum though.
Never seen a machine with CGA card run on a 5151 when they were around in the wild though, so I expect it won't work.

No it won't work. You can damage the 5151 if you do connect it to a CGA card.

Absolutely. The reason behind this peculiar behavior (a CGA monitor plugged into an MDA won't be damaged, for example) is that the 5151 has neither a horizontal nor vertical deflection oscillator--it uses as a timebase whatever comes over the cable as sync signals.

So, instead of losing sync and producing a "rolling" image like a color monitor would, the 5151 will quietly (or not) self-destruct.

Back