• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tron

bluethunder

Experienced Member
Has any one gone to see the new Tron yet?

I quite enjoyed it, and it lacks the cheese of the original (also saw that one in the theaters). No one with UV paint on hockey helmets this time.

A little disapointing was the lack of time on the game grid.. We get a light cycle battle, and thats about it. But for the most part, I liked it.

Favorite part of the movie, when he goes into Flynns old arcade, and flips the power on.. If I could build a dream house, I would live there (guess I'm sick).:rolleyes:

The Tron game with the Discs was the only tron game I actually played back then, was quite a good game.

Haven't seen it myself - will probably wait for the DVD! ;) I'm a bit of a fan of the original film and with this new film, I've read positive and negative things about it - mainly relating to the 3D version. Some say the 3D version isn't really all that cracked up to be, though thought the storyline was better than the original - either way I'll go for the 2D version! ;) Some people say the 3D version is good, though when compared to other recent 3D films, it hasn't been used extensively - either way it looks like a ploy to market 3D so people can watch 3D movies on their 3D telly! It seems to me though that this 3D craze may only be short-term cause the price of the technology and given people would rather watch TV without the glasses will probably mean it being limited to an upper crust person who thinks their maybe something in it.

I went and saw the 3D version and can confirm DON'T waste your money.

Other than that, I enjoyed the movie very much.

Would've liked to see more of the games, but such is life. Got a kick out of seeing a young Jeff Bridges talking to the old Jeff. Dude! You're messing with my karma!

I took my son and we enjoyed it. I loved the original when I was his age and I had him watch that one on DVD the following day... :)

I'm so glad that this isn't a remake of the original, though rather a sequel - but then I don't think any one has been able to remake a Disney film which is good in that regard. The original was all about the Special Effects and the Storyline was reglected, though I enjoyed it so I'll definitely have to get the original again before watching this latest film! :D

Well, in most cases I hate sequels with the passion of a thousand dying suns, but this weekend I saw Tron 2... and actually liked it!
I'm definitely going to watch it again, this time on the computer, so I can pause to see all the details of the computer screens - in the underground of the Flynn's Arcade I saw some SunOS version, and can't help wondering if this was historically-correct... :mrgreen:

I also liked the 3D - this technology seems to be designed exactly for computer graphics imagery. Also, in 1982 Tron was something unique because it used what was bleeding-edge back then: CGI, so it's natural for its 2010 sequel to also use the latest technology, and today it's 3D...

I enjoyed it but missed the symbolism of the original. For example, in the original, a program waiting for access to the I/O tower to communicate with his user "felt" much like a real multiuser multitasking system. I also felt like I understood which system/world we were seeing - that of ENCOM's. In this new movie, that wasn't obvious to me. I also had trouble wrapping my head around programs spending time in a nightclub...seemed a little Matrixy for me.

The new movie is big on the eye candy. I'm also glad I saw it in 3D.

That said, I intend to see it again, because I'd like to understand better what was going on. I also scored Tron Betrayal (comic book also known as "graphic novel") from family for Xmas, so I'll be able to review the back story (between Tron and Tron Legacy).

Vintage Computers in Tron 3D

Vintage Computers in Tron 3D

Allow me to claim first report of the following

in the Flynn arcade back office / computer lab
1. Digital RL01 drives in a rack with an 11/34 or 11/70 on the bottom
2. Commodore 1571 drive (it was a prop on the bottom shelf of a little end table, on the right side, covered with dust)
There were other misc. devices, but nothing that I could identify. I saw what looked if an RF signal modulator, and "stuff" from the movie props department.

In the young Flynn's room was a
3. MacIntosh SE of some sort.

Still, you gotta give it to the movie producer for putting a DEC rack in the movie, presumably where they stored the programming for the virtual world development system. That's believeable for 1989 to a point, although by then a DEC PDP 11 system would have been getting long in the tooth. You might think he would have had a NEXT system or a Sun workstation.

Seen it twice now... both times in 3d. I quite enjoyed it both times. It's definitely not a perfect movie, and neither was the original. It is a fun movie.

Back