• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Micro Cornucopia to be on DVD

GADFRAN

Experienced Member
Posts on cctalk@classiccomp.org a few weeks ago had two [2] offers for complete collection.

Someone got the collections to put on DVD for distribution.

Great for many of us Kaypro users since they were so prolific with respect to Kaypros.

They provided parts / directions to repair, maintain, upgrade, etc. to extend the working life of these computers.

Much key information.

Author & subject indices already posted on this web site.

Stay tuned !

No information as to when, but it probably will be awhile.

Frank

Unfortunately, just got an email from the guy with these Micro Cornucopia magazine issues who had a hard drive failure, so he lost all the information on who responded !!!

So he is asking those who did respond to respond again.

I did and I am interested obviously, because of all the good Kaypro information in these issues of this magazine.

But someone else was first, whoever he / she is.

Still there are copyright and other legal questions about putting all of this information on a DVD for distribution - free or with cost ?

Naturally, there is the great effort to scan all the issues and put the scans on a DVD for distribution. This takes a lot of resources – time, funds, technical issues, etc.

Maybe some legal types on this web site and other web sites can unravel some of these issues for us so we can "legally" get this very valuable information for just our own personal use.

After all, we are not making money on any of this – we are spending it !!! - it is a hobby ! We are keeping these old computers, software, etc. "ALIVE" for future generations, plus of course our own enjoyment and education.

Will let you know on future development.

So sorry. Thought this was a “done deal !”

Frank

My standard advice to those who want to copy text or software and re-distribute it is "get permission". I'd start by looking up Dave Thompson and asking. He's still in Bend, as far as I know--and 411.com still shows him there.

Briefly, copyright in the US runs 75-95 years from publication There is no such thing as "abandonware" and older copyrights, if still in force by 1978, were automatically extended to 95 years. Otherwise known as the Sonny Bono Mickey Mouse Copyright Extension Act.

Getting permission may be difficult, depending on what rights were obtained by MicroC, even if you contact Dave.

Still, what a treasure trove it'd be. My collection is spotty, but runs from first issue to the painful last. I still have a bunch of BB-Is, IIs and Kaypros. But the only consistent run of issues I have is from the last few years when things got more PC-centric (life settled down to where I had a consistent address to subscribe from.)

The disks are hard to find as well. I have some of the ROMs in boards (e.g. PFM for 4MHz and MicroC character ROM), but there are others I'm missing.

If Dave were contacted, it'd be a boon to be able to reproduce even the stuff owned outright by him and MicroC, if rights to submitted material were not available.

Ask. Look up "David J Thompson" in Bend, OR and call or write him. Otherwise, we'll waste a lot of time here jabbering about nothing. It's also the right thing to do.

Hi at all,
today i begun to scan my issues. At this moment i done

MICRO CORNUCOPIA No.14 Oct 1983
http://web.tiscali.it/enrico.lazzerini/MICRO_CORNUCOPIA_No.14_Oct_1983.pdf

and

MICRO CORNUCOPIA No.16 Feb 1984

Is out there who has issues from 1 to 11 and would scan some his issues???

I think this would be the only change we have to :
- gain issues we not have
- save this wonderful past and defunt magazine

Regards
Enrico

I have a complete set of mint condition Micro Cornucopia mags. 1-39, any interest?

I have a complete set of mint condition Micro Cornucopia mags. 1-39, any interest?

I was an old Kaypro user back in the stone age. No offense! I still remember address and data toggle switches and real core memory. I did a ton of work with 8-bit processors, for work and for a hobby. Sold all my Kaypros and software years ago. I was going to sell these mags on eBay but thought i would see if you guys had any interest. I have a complete set of Micro Cornucopia magazines, mint condition ( just very good on #7), from issue #1 to issue #39. I would much rather see them go to a serious computer person than some eBay riff raft, Again, no offense! If there is any interest make me an offer. If not look for them on eBay soon.

Cheers.
waldo562
hk10191@hotmail.com

My quick reply would be that I think this site will probably be the best for you to sell these.

However, where are you ? Shipping costs may be an issue. What would they be - weigh the collection and go to your Post Office - they may be able to let you mail them for inexpensive Media Mail, but there may be some issues there too.

As you can see from the previous posts, copying such material and making it available has many serious issues. See other posts on this site.

All the best - they certainly are valuable to Kaypro users / collectors - see my many posts on this site.

Post them on the Marketplace on this site - Eric can help you - then all will know what the best price would be - this is probably the best audience - eBay may be too general.

Frank

Contributed by Larry McClellan and Al Kossow the scanned magazine MicroCornucopia numbers are growing. At this address http://enricolazzerini.interfree.it their list. Thanks for all the contributions that can still be received to complete the digital archiving
of this historic magazine.

Greetings
Enrico

I have Micro Cornucopia issues 30, 32, 44, 48, 49, 51, 52 and 53 (the final issue). They are in good shape since they have been sitting in a magazine box on my bookshelf since the late 1980s. If there is still an interest I find them a good home here instead of on eBay.

Update Microcornucopia issues and user's group diskettes

Update Microcornucopia issues and user's group diskettes

Thanks for your last info. The actual situation is the following:

A) Digitalized Issues we need : 28,29,30,31,32,42,43,44;
B) User's group diskettes we have: 13,21,23, 30-51

Here those info put together: http://www.vintagesbc.it/?page_id=258

Enrico - Pisa (ITALY)

I just found this forum. 4 days ago I but the complete set of Microcorucopia up on Ebay just in hopes that it would find a good home. At this point I figure that there will be no bidders so when the auction closes I'd be willing to donate them for a little help with the shipping costs. They weigh about 21 pounds.

Try looking here.

Try looking here.

Hi at all,
today i begun to scan my issues. At this moment i done

MICRO CORNUCOPIA No.14 Oct 1983

and

MICRO CORNUCOPIA No.16 Feb 1984

Is out there who has issues from 1 to 11 and would scan some his issues???

I think this would be the only change we have to :
- gain issues we not have
- save this wonderful past and defunt magazine

Regards
Enrico

Hi, everyone. I was one of the editors at Micro C in the mid eighties. You can find .pdfs of most of the issues, including numbers one through eleven, here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=micro%20cornucopia&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbitsavers.trailing-edge.com%2Fpdf%2FmicroCornucopia%2F&ei=7OmLVJ_LDpW2yATX44GwDA&usg=AFQjCNG0M_oWavzJzqJeez8A5H8xcJDEiA&bvm=bv.81828268,d.aWw

I found this with a simple Google search, which also led me here. My own collection is incomplete (I used to have all of them), and, unfortunately, one or two of the ones I'm missing are also unavailable at this website.

As for the legality of these .pdfs, I don't know. I do know, however, that they've been there for several months (at least), so obviously Dave Thompson isn't attempting to enforce ownership. I've no idea how many of the copyrights are owned by the original authors; certainly some of them are, but I also have a very clear memory that we "edited" many of the articles by pretty much writing them over from scratch. (Deep, dark secret: most computer geeks can't write in understandable English.) Most of the authors had no idea how much we changed the final versions. We would get frequent comments along the lines of "I had no idea how much better it reads in print." Or, "I never realized how funny I was until I read this article in print." (Dave was, and presumably still is, an inveterate punner, who would insert puns every place he could.)

Also, there's a chance that these fall under fair use, since the magazine is out of print, though the DMCA has blurred those lines somewhat.

Margret Rosenberg

Hello, thank you for the message. As you can read from my website (also in English through the translation of online google) in the early 80s I had purchased the Italian clone card of ferguson bigboard I. Only seven years ago I decided to turn it on, and through some internet research I learned of existence of the magazine Microcornucopia. I did some scans asking collaboration with others for the only purpose of being able to make available an online archive of it cause it is not so easy to know of it because it was destined to a specific field of computer (single board) and operating systems (CP / m). I would also like to be able to reconstruct all of the user's disk. if you want you can contribute as much as possible maybe exposing your memories of that experience. It would be important to explain how it is born this magazine including any anecdotes. thanks
enrico - italy

Back