• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

General troubleshooting tip...

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I don't know if it's been discussed much, but I'd like to offer a suggestion to those who get a new(old) system and want to work on it.

As you work, have a camera next to you and take photos of everything as you disassemble the machine. They'll serve as a handy reference when you're putting the thing back together. This includes switch settings, replaced components, etc.

I do this on equipment I'm unfamiliar with myself and it's saved me a couple of times from doing something stupid. It costs nothing but a few seconds as you're working.

It seems obvious, but sometimes we all need to be reminded of the obvious. :)

...it's saved me a couple of times from doing something stupid...It seems obvious, but sometimes we all need to be reminded of the obvious. :)
There have been more than a couple of times when I wish you'd been there to remind me before I did do something stupid... ;-)

I don't know if it's been discussed much, but I'd like to offer a suggestion to those who get a new(old) system and want to work on it.

As you work, have a camera next to you and take photos of everything as you disassemble the machine. They'll serve as a handy reference when you're putting the thing back together. This includes switch settings, replaced components, etc.

I do this on equipment I'm unfamiliar with myself and it's saved me a couple of times from doing something stupid. It costs nothing but a few seconds as you're working.

It seems obvious, but sometimes we all need to be reminded of the obvious. :)

I second that tip. This is what I do and it's saved me several times. It can seem obvious where things go when pulling wires and cables away from their components but when it comes to re-assembly this "obvious" nature of the couplings can simply have disappeared somewhere!

Tez

I third that tip.

And if anyone ever needs them, I've got photos of the insides of:
- IBM 5150, 5151, 5160 & 5161
- Osborne1, 1a (& probably Executive)
- Altos 8000
- TeleVideo 910, 925 & 950
- Apple Macintosh 512K
- and probably some other stuff that I just can't remember right now

I find this especially helpful with laptops. But it is a very good solid tip. And if you want to blog about your adventure later you all all the photos to make it that much more meaningful as a resource.

lol. i usually never have extra screws left over when i am done putting something back together. this tip is good for more than just computers. i do sometimes take pictures of stuff on my truck before i start tearing stuff apart so that i remember where it goes or sometimes i draw diagrams or pictures.

I would take pictures if I didn't expect to reassemble a laptop within the next day or so (especially if I never worked on that model before).

Back