• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ethernet card for IBM 5155, second opinion please

yeah both of those cards will work fine. they are designed to. i have a couple, they are excellent.

You can get EtherExpress packet drivers from here:
http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/

EXP16.COM from PKDT11.ZIP. I have that entire directory mirrored just in case.
I would strongly recommend testing it out with Mike Brutman's TCP/IP suite (mTCP). http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP.html

Thanks for the links. I've downloaded the files mentioned and will try them out when the card arrives in a few days. Any other sugestions are always welcome of cousre since I'll probably be experementing for some time with this. Please be aware that I'm not experienced with networking on vintage machines so please be patient with me. I'll probably be needing a bunch of help. But I am a quick learner.

Thanks again to all who have chimed in.

I found it useful to replace the 8088 CPU with a V20--some drivers need the augmented (80286) instruction set. But then, I was interested more in NetBEUI using MSLANMAN.

I found it useful to replace the 8088 CPU with a V20--some drivers need the augmented (80286) instruction set. But then, I was interested more in NetBEUI using MSLANMAN.

Thanks Chuck. Already got one in there. In fact there is also an 80286 in there via AST Hot Shot 286 accelerator.

@ibmapc
I'm speculating, you putting a BBS up via telnet?

~Kiyote!

Nothin' that fancy. Just playin really. Want a better way of sending files between the old and more modern machines. Been moving the CF card back and forth. But that is a pain, especialy since it's not "hot swappable" in the 5155.

UPDATE:
The Intel Etherexpress 16 works great in an 8 bit slot. Ive been playing around for days with different ways to network the old 5155 with my Win XP machine over a cross over cable.

... I was interested more in NetBEUI using MSLANMAN.

Chuck,
I found that Microsoft Network Client uses less memory than MSLANMAN. Are there advantages to Lanman? Is there a way to optimize Lanman to use less memory? Note, I dont have expanded or extended memory. (I do have a V20, as well as a 286 via the AST HOTSHOT 286) Is there a good way to add either expanded or extended memory to an XT class machine? Thanks for all your help

Extended, no (total RAM addressible is 1MB on 8088/86). But expanded should be an option - Intel AboveBoard for example. Interesting on the NIC as I'm looking for networking options too (for 5155 and 5160).

If you'd like the driver disk for this card (including diags and soft setup), please pm me where to send it -it is just a bit to big to attach it here.

I found that Microsoft Network Client uses less memory than MSLANMAN. Are there advantages to Lanman? Is there a way to optimize Lanman to use less memory? Note, I dont have expanded or extended memory. (I do have a V20, as well as a 286 via the AST HOTSHOT 286) Is there a good way to add either expanded or extended memory to an XT class machine? Thanks for all your help

Expanded--I have an Intel AboveBoard 286 installed in an XT. MSLANMAN appears to use about 100K of EMS. Not too shabby.

My decision was mostly a matter of convenience. I find that MSLANMAN takes a bit less fussing during installation than MS Client for DOS.

At any rate, this is a pretty good rundown on pros and cons and alternatives.

Thanks for the replies.
Heres what I've got so far on the 5155;
MsClient with Basic Redirector, IPX/SPX Protocol (Netbeui takes 35.3K of memory vs. Nwlink ipx/spx takes only 9.9K). So the total conventional memory used is 39.1K including the packet driver and all the networking stuff. There is one trade off that I've found using IPX/SPX over Netbeui. The 5155 can't find the Shared resources on the network. Shares must be defined manually (\\ComputerName\ShareName). With Netbeui, I can "Browse" for shared resources but the savings in memory usage makes it a fair trade.
Jorg,
Thanks, I'm sending you a PM.

Regards,

Greg

Last edited:
For the benefit of the search, I've made the Intel Etherexpress 16 ISA card drivers available for download here.

Not to toot Brutman's horn, but I would strongly recommend checking out and playing with mTCP as per my earlier post. In fact, I have completely ditched MS's networking stuff for a packet driver and mTCP. A LOT less memory is required, and FTP always works. I FTP everything now between my server and old machines with mTCP. When my file server was Windows, I used Filezilla Server and now that it's Linux, ProFTPd. FTP has always worked 100% of the time, without the MS bloat. Although mounted SMB shares are nice, FTP is faster.

http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Not to toot Brutman's horn, but I would strongly recommend checking out and playing with mTCP as per my earlier post. In fact, I have completely ditched MS's networking stuff for a packet driver and mTCP. A LOT less memory is required, and FTP always works. I FTP everything now between my server and old machines with mTCP. When my file server was Windows, I used Filezilla Server and now that it's Linux, ProFTPd. FTP has always worked 100% of the time, without the MS bloat. Although mounted SMB shares are nice, FTP is faster.

http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Yep, I've been playing with Mtcp. I think it's a great set of programs. I have my machine configured so that I can choose at boot time to use Mtcp or Msclient so that I can access shares on my home network. I like to have options 'cause I like to play.

Back