• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your vintage and modern on the same desk

evildragon

Veteran Member
Just curious, does anyone here actually have their vintage computer on the same desk as their modern and get just as much use?

My IBM is always on, can't think of a day it's actually off, except when I'm sleeping, and even then, sometimes it's on, but has the screen blanked (since my model 25's CRT can't be turned off without turning off the entire computer).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/april12dsk.jpg

That's my desk, and as you can see, despite being a small desk, my IBM gets the same appreciation as the Mac, though the mice get a little too cramped sometimes.

that looks awesome! :D

i'm not at home, so can't take a pic now, but i do similar stuff. people are like "wtf is wrong with you"

i don't have any recent macs, but if that one can take PS/2 key/mouse you should look into getting a 2-way KVM switch to save room. just keep the mac monitor plugged directly into the machine since the PS/2 has it's own monitor built in. 2-port switches are pretty cheap.

This Mac has only USB ports, but I have a PS/2 adapter in it.. That's how I got a Dell AT101W keyboard (almost as loud as buckling spring but feels actually better)..

yep that old keyboard is why i was assuming it could take it. so... what do visitors say when they see the old IBM there? xD

Mostly that I need to upgrade, and they'd offer to take it to the dump. I tell them if they dare try and take it they may be the ones heading to the dump, lol..

PS, the Mac specs are in my sig, and yes, 32GB RAM is not a typo, it's 8, 4GB sticks..

somtimes if I'm doing a lot, I'll telnet into my emails SMTP server and send mail from the IBM. You can usually tell because my emails from my Mac or phone or even iPad, always have a sig, but the IBM sends without a sig..

I don't have a desk big enough to fit my modern and a vintage on it at the same time... Hell, I can't even fit a laptop on the same desk as my modern -- but then FOUR displays chews up a lot of space. (as in the entire width of the desk)

I don't have a desk big enough to fit my modern and a vintage on it at the same time... Hell, I can't even fit a laptop on the same desk as my modern -- but then FOUR displays chews up a lot of space. (as in the entire width of the desk)

KVM switch is your friend. I have a 4 port and want an 8 port. (Keyboard. Video, Mouse)

Since you asked –

Our former living room, about 15” x 15”, has become my computer room.

My wife has her own computers [Win XP desktop & laptop, two older Vista Dell laptops [donated for her volunteer work] and an old Gateway 2000 386 in various places – bedroom, rec room and yes, the bathroom for laptop work – wireless internet – isn’t it great – really portable !

40 + years of marriage you learn a lot – separate computers are better !

=========================================================

So in the former living room –

Vista – locally built – about 4 years old
Vista Laptop – locally built – about 3 years old – kept in storage under desk until needed – use for my PowerPoint presentations – e.g. 2008 Trenton Computer Fest on Kaypro era, my science, technology and society [STS] research, etc.
Gateway 500 - dates about 2000 – Win XP
Compaq Presario 5006H - dates about 2000 – Win ME
Gateway 2000 – 486 – dates around 1993 – MS-DOS 3.0
Kaypro “8” [converted / upgraded Kaypro II] - dates 1983 – CP/M
Toshiba Satellite laptop – dates abound 1997 – updated to Win98SE from Win95 – when needed, but kept in storage under desk – backup for Vista Laptop and PowerPoint presentations.

Plus accessories – printers, scanners, supplies, software disks / documentation, etc.

When I “proof out” devices like deviceside, PLR, my experiments, etc., it is nice to have “all in one room” the capability to easily use Vista, Win XP, Win ME, MS-DOS 3.0 and CP/M.

==================================================================

Two other much older Toshiba laptops – MS-DOS – from my very early years – in storage in basement
5 other Kaypro “8” ‘s –for those who remember - they were so slow, you needed to use more than one when doing big projects ! – in storage in basement

==================================================================

Why all the computers ? We have both been very active professionally, in volunteer work, home projects and hobbies.

I got started in the 1970’s thru a large multiyear PA wide National Science Foundation Grant involving many academic institutions to get computers into academe – students took off, faculty – resistant, but at least administrators knew they needed a mainframe.

I was even “ Director of Computing “ at a small new liberal arts college in a rural area – but not really such a big title – only one teletype and a phone hookup to a CDC6400 mainframe at a nearby university – in just a year we “doubled” our computer capacity – two [2] teletypes – due to the high demand by students – the line went out the door to use them – they were “hooked” also - all in a small back room about 15” x 15’ !

You could also get from the university a briefcase size device with a phone modem – you put the handset into a cradle – remember those days ! - to connect to the CDC6400 wherever there was a phone ! I do not remember if there was just a CRT and / or paper printout for output.

===============================================================

It was fun and I got “hooked” big time – but a chemist by training – computing did not hit chemistry back then as a practical everyday tool.

===============================================================

Others should share their experiences also – it was quite an era that we must try to not let get lost in the future – it was how it all started for “individuals” to have their own personal computing [PC’s] capability on their desk and at home, not just for large organizations and computer “experts !”

We do not get many visitors since we live in a very rural area, but one did note the Kaypro, since I had mentioned it to him many years before – they do stand out compared to more modern computers. Others just “gasp” at the crowded conditions !

Frank

For a while, I had my main modern Linux desktop on the same desk as my NEC APC. The Linux machine has dual 19" displays, a dual-core Xeon processor, 8 GB RAM, and 1 TB hard drive all in a Lian Li Mini-ITX case. The APC is an APC...huge, mostly yellowed, dual 8" floppies with a color CRT. A friend that visited us early in the move process (the Linux machine is now where it belongs, on my non-workshop desk) commented, "I understand what the one computer (the Linux box) is for...but what /is/ that other thing?!"

KVM switch is your friend. I have a 4 port and want an 8 port. (Keyboard. Video, Mouse)

Not when the modern displays are all DVI only and the vintage systems are CGA and/or composite (IIe, C=64 and Coco) or have a built in display (like my Model 4P or Model III) and don't work with standard PS/2 keyboards/mice (like my tandy 1000's)

NOT exactly hardware compatible with a modern i7 870 set up for driving four displays as one desktop off a Ge560ti and GTX260... (the 260 also acting as a dedicated physx card in addition to driving two of my four displays)... KVM does a big fat stinking nothing when none of the devices use compatible keyboards, mice or displays.

Though I was a bit vague on that -- the four displays are for ONE Win7 PC!

Living room:
-Atari 130XE, Sparta-Dos, running 24/7 (BBS)
-Atari 130XE, Sparta-Dos, programming, used when required
-Atari MegaSTe, TOS, will be removed, not much usage
-Intel PIV, WinXP, main desktop and audio mixing
-Intel PII, WinXP, Atari 8-bit support/connectivity
-Intel 486 (DX?), MS-Dos 6.22, Atari support
-AthlonXP, Win2000, serving/routing/NATing

Do game systems count?
-Atari 2600
-Atari 5200
-Atari Jaguar

Bedroom:
-P2 Laptop, Dell Latitude XPi CD, Win98, music player

Storage:
I won't list that.

The desktop:
Apple IIgs on Apple RGB CRT
Commodore 64 on 1702 CRT
Mac SE/30
Macbook Pro
KB & Mouse for Amiga

KVM with:
Linux Server (kept in next room)
Linux Backup Server kept in next room)
Main Desktop (quadcore win 7 box)
Mac G5
Amiga 2000 (Video only)
80386 Clone
(& the Macbook Pro that's sitting on the desktop)

My vintage computers and modern share the same desk a lot. That's because the desk is essentially the workbench for my machines. Apart from when they are groomed up and getting their photos taken (or being exercised) the latter are usually in pieces when on that desk. To the right of the desk on the floor I have a Windows XP machine, and its corresponding LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard on the far right side of the desk.

This is a very useful arrangement when I want to read PFDs or web reference material from the modern machine screen during repairs (I hardly ever print anything out now) and/or when transferring software from the modern machine to vintage machine and vice versa.

Tez

Just curious, does anyone here actually have their vintage computer on the same desk as their modern and get just as much use?[/url]

Last weekend I moved my vintage PCs back from the burner room to the office in my basement. They are not on the same desk as my contemporary Lenovo ThinkPad setup but on the other table. I setup 2 tables in a L shape for that purpose. I am contemplating buying another identical table at Raymour & Flanigan Clearance Center since I just bought another vintage PC (an IBM 286). :D

Like others I have an Atari TT in the "radio shack" connected to my KVM with an Eiffel adaptor, but generally I don't use it much. On the other hand I generally have the Hercules Mainframe Emulator or IBM1130 emulator running on my Netbook so I always have a Vintage environment available. Given the slowish speed of the Atom CPU its reasonably realistic. When I want realistic "old" (S/360) mainframe speed I nip onto an old celeren 1ghz box. Thats about the same performance as the 4381 I used to have at work....

Dave
g4ugm

I don't know if this counts as on the same desk, but here is my workspace, I spent most of the weekend updating and building the wood piece you see on the table.

IMG_0359.JPG

The two machines under the desk there are my 486machine, and my Windows 98SE (P-233, I need to get rid of the sharpy at some point) machines. On the table is my PCjr, and behind the DVDs is my 5160 (you can't see it). The machine on the desk behind the 23" monitor is my main machine (Phenom II X4).

The left over table space is for any transient machines I may work on from time to time, or any new things I am playing with. That thing just behind the PCjr is a 4 port KVM, but it is usually only cabled into 3 machines (w98, 486 and a working machine) with one spare port that I can wire up if need be.

I am still trying to work out where I can put my DVD collection in my small apartment, I may need to stash them in my room, but I want to avoid that. Also in the desk (to the right) is my printer, and ultimately I want to move my main machine into the cabinet on the left of the desk and put my scanner on the far right edge of the desk.

Just curious, does anyone here actually have their vintage computer on the same desk as their modern and get just as much use?

My IBM is always on, can't think of a day it's actually off, except when I'm sleeping, and even then, sometimes it's on, but has the screen blanked (since my model 25's CRT can't be turned off without turning off the entire computer).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/april12dsk.jpg

That's my desk, and as you can see, despite being a small desk, my IBM gets the same appreciation as the Mac, though the mice get a little too cramped sometimes.

Gah! No glare screen!

I used to use vintage computers for everything. I only recently got a "modern" G5 (super cheap) - and I use a vintage keyboard and trackball with it. Here's a picture of my main desk:

dualg5.jpg

The NeXT gets no use at all, but I've got no other spot for it. My Amiga 500 and Atari 800XL (as seen in my signature) get some use, but not nearly as much as they used to.

Eh, glare screens are overrated. Plus you gotta ground them which I guess I'm too lazy to enjoy otherwise it's just another ESD generator and something to fall off whenever you're tinkering behind the system.

My "office" has become a storage room but I have a few vintage systems in there sitting with my current rig. However it's become more of a storage and server room now with kids and wife I haven't had the time to use many things and it was suggested that the girls trying to sleep in the room next to me blowing away zombies with a shotgun wasn't appropriate. I was gonna go ahead and usurp my speaker/sub setup from there to the TV but wouldn't ya know it's all "digital" audio now just to ruin your current ability to do the same thing without spending extra money. ::grumbles about new stuff::

If anyone hasn't already and I've recommended it before but try out your older gaming system on an Amiga monitor. It'll look like the next gen of the same model (so much better resolution than a TV).

Back