• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

opinion on value (yea I know, dangerous)

JDT

Veteran Member
I've been searching for a ATI mach64 vlb card for a while.
I found one on ebay, seller originally wanted $150.. back and forth offer/counter offer to $60, has the optional 2mb memory upgrade card and its supposedly been tested.

Are these cards that rare, is it worth $60. My intention is to add it to my 486 dx4-100 gaming box. I know value is relative... I have a 2mb mach32 now...

but whats your opinions.. good deal / bad deal? Could I do better, should I wait?

TIA

"Worth" for used cards is a very subjective thing. For someone running a sheet-metal stamper driven by a PC, replacing a malfunctioning video card for $150 is peanuts. For a guy running vintage games on a 486 "just because" it would seem to be outrageous.

It depends upon how much you really, really want that card. I don't think they were that rare, but things get rarer as time goes on. If it's a fully-functional and fully-expanded card, a $50-60 price isn't unusual.

I'll buy the Mach32 from you if the price is right to off set the cost of the Mach64 if you want. Just PM me and we can work out the details.

personally, if I had a 2mb mach32 I dont think the extra 10% performance would be worth $60. Granted the windows performance is a lot better, but every other benchmark the 64 is tied with the 32.

Take a look at the benchmarks here:
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/d45765a4fc16d50b3c944dc8e40a41b6/

the difference between the 32 and 64 is practically nil. usually meaning that something else is keeping the chip from going faster.

but whats your opinions.. good deal / bad deal? Could I do better, should I wait?TIA

It is all about time versus reward. When you spend many hours searching the internet for a cheaper card you may well find one. However: how much time do you think it is worth? :D

Back