• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh Portrait Display, is it rare?

Does it strike anyone else as being ironic that we've now taken portrait displays and rotated them 90 degrees for everyday use? Some wide-screen LCD displays allow for rotating (i.e. with a special mount), but it's the exception more than the rule. Also, the Pivot monitors come to mine...

Cool, one became available today, he wants $25 for it. It works perfect and looks to be in fine shape. Most old macs aren't even worth that so i wanted to make sure it was.

Yeah, the portrait display is quite scarce. They rarely turn up, I haven't seen one in *years*. Go for it.

As for the modern wide screen monitors... what were they thinking? I will never understand why the wide aspect ratio is preferred. And, it's not adding to the sides, it's removing from the top and bottom! I really hate the loss of the vertical resolution on modern monitors. It seems everything wants to be compliant with "HD", but 1080 lines of resolution is a *downgrade* for a computer. When I got a new computer at work, it came with a new LCD monitor to replace my (albiet aging badly) CRT monitor. So, I went from 1200 lines of resolution with a 10 year old CRT, to 1080 lines with a new LCD. You'd think stuff would get better, not worse.

-Ian

The full 1080P monitors do 1900x1200 or something like that, they are usable. When I needed a new monitor last year I went for a 19" 1280x1024 LCD because I hate widescreen monitors (paid a premium for a decent non widescreen). If I want to watch a movie I will use a proper widescreen TV. New netbooks have 1366 x 768 or something and that is too low of a resolution for newer OS.

The old mac 2 page greyscale monitors used 1152x870 to fit 2 pages and have room for the rulers on the side and palet. The portrait monitor does 640 x 870. If either one ever came around here cheap I would snag it, never seen one locally.

Page Monitor for Desktop Publishing, when Macs were the king of graphics and windows was the king of nothing.

Wide Screen Displays

Wide Screen Displays

Couple of points.

Firstly I am told that they have restarted making convential computer monitors. I havn't checked the brands but my local store has these :-

Hanns-G-19-inch-monitor-HL196D-Black

Secondly On many Windows programs you can re-doc the Menu bars down the side. Sadly Internet Explorer does not appear to be one of these :(

Dave
g4ugm
Anything analogue or Calcomp in East Pondia wanted

There are a few 5:4 aspect ratio monitors out there (mine is a Samsung Syncmaster 943 19" 1280x1204 that can tilt), but they are not very common. To be honest I don't use the tile function very much.

I've never seen one of these before, even back in the day. We had a couple of the Radius Pivot monitors at work, but none of the Apple units. $25 sounds like a steal.

Edit: In another thread over in the PC section someone provided a link for some CGA monitors, and I noticed the same company has some Mac portrait displays for sale for $29. I can't tell for sure if these are the same thing or not.

http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor

Macintosh Word Processing Monitor $29.00
This is a high quality vertical format, monochrome monitor for use with any Macintosh model.
Large 15" diagonal screen and high resolution (640x872) are ideal for word processing applications.
Vertical format permits real size full page (2000 character) viewing.
SPECIFICATIONS:
Input- 15 pin D-subminiature connector (pin out available).
Video-.7V analog.
Sync-Horiz 68.85 kHz:TTL level
Vert 75 Hz:TTL level.

Last edited:
Back