• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

CPT 8525 (works) and boxes of old CPU's. Intel, amd, and cyrix, boards, gpu, apples

trup45

We run a local computer shop and we really need the space that these older components are taking. Locally people only would like to scrap them for metals and pay barely nothing.

Not trying to strike it rich, but they must have a better use than that. right?

Im not as refreshed as I would like to be on the older tech.

We also have vintage hard drives, motherboards, server boards, graphic cards.

Boxes and Boxes

We are in south georgia. (yes we use computers in georgia too)

Any guidance on where who how to sale some of these components would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

for example (trying to inventory what we have)

Seagate 21.4MB 5.25IN HH MFM

NEC D5126 Hard Disk Drive MFM 5.25" 20.45MB 134-200450

TOSHIBA MK234FC-1 100MB 3.5IN HH IDE

AMD Am386 DX-40 CPU

Cyrix Cx486 Dx33 CPU

IBM 80286 XC Processor

6480087 IBM 286/6MHZ 512K TYPE II PC/AT 5170 SYSTEM BOARD P/N: 6480087

Intel i386 cpu w/ boards

Am386 cpu w/ boards

Last edited:
Put your scrap CPU's and other gold bearing components on ebay. They sell for 70 to 100 bucks a lb depending upon the gold content. You will make a fortune. Look into it, you will see. It's very easy to do.

When you say South Georgia, please be a little more specific. If you are within driving distance from Jacksonville, I could make a trip.

eBay gets the biggest audience when selling. Local pickup is a plus for large heavy items since shipping can be so expensive(and a deal killer).

Check out this ebay seller. I recognize a lot of the hard drives he is selling, as I sold four large boxes to him last year. And if you look at his sold items, you will see he makes a lot of money. Only wish I didn't have to sell mine, but I had to save my home.

If you can set up an ebay account and list tested items, they sell for remarkably high prices. Well worth having someone or yourself list them as a side business. Untested in lots sell to people like him for an average of $4.00 to $6.00 each.

http://shop.ebay.com/brickcollector/m.html?_dmd=1

When you say South Georgia, please be a little more specific. If you are within driving distance from Jacksonville, I could make a trip.

eBay gets the biggest audience when selling. Local pickup is a plus for large heavy items since shipping can be so expensive(and a deal killer).

The shop is located in Tifton, GA, sorry

Providing a detailed inventory listing always helps determine whether or not you have items of interest. Good luck! The www.vintage-computer.com/marketplace and eBay are good for smaller items. Big and heavy items are hard to sell.

Also: vintage is a difficult term. From my personal experience Pentium, Pentium II, Pentium III and Pentium IV (and related AMD) stuff is usually not worth anything (e.g. the same goes for PCI cards and CD/DVD/HDD from the same period).

Valuable vintage is usually the 8086, 8088, 80286, 80386 and 80486 stuff.

Check out this ebay seller. I recognize a lot of the hard drives he is selling, as I sold four large boxes to him last year. And if you look at his sold items, you will see he makes a lot of money. Only wish I didn't have to sell mine, but I had to save my home.
That sucks.

If you can set up an ebay account and list tested items, they sell for remarkably high prices. Well worth having someone or yourself list them as a side business. Untested in lots sell to people like him for an average of $4.00 to $6.00 each.
Unfortunately testing, describing, photographing, wrapping and shipping all cost a lot of time. And eBay and PayPal really erode the bottom line as well. You need to be very efficient to make a lot of money that way. :D

An IBM PS/2 Model 25 might be of interest to some. Again: pictures and an inventory listing really make sales happen.

Last edited:
No need to tell me about eBay, we break down laptop parts, and we can only do it when we have nothing to very little in them. Only one who get rich is eBay. We are exploring new routes.

No need to tell me about eBay, we break down laptop parts, and we can only do it when we have nothing to very little in them. Only one who get rich is eBay. We are exploring new routes.

When you want to sell everything in one lot and get more than scrap value you really need to come up with an inventory and pictures. When there are sufficient interesting items you may find a collector or otherwise you may sell to someone who sells bulk on eBay to buy it. :D

Cool! I see you are starting your inventory. That will help in determining the value. I recommend listing on www.vintage-computer.com/marketplace. It is 100% free.

Some of the old motherboards go for 30 to 120 dollars, while others fetch ten. I have sold full height hard drives like 10 to 40 mb for 40 to 140 dollars and I sell world wide and those were untested system pulls from working machines. Do a little research and you can see what is high profit or not worth your time. Scrap motherboards can be paletized for scrap at around 1 to 4 dollars each depending upon gold content. You can also cut the pins off your cards to sell as scrap, although you might destroy some really useful cards that way.

While there are collectors of 286 and 386 chips, the NDPs (80287, 80387) are harder to find and generally command higher prices. Non-x86 CPUs are very much worth hanging onto.

Older x86 CPUs that have utility such as NEC V20, V30 and V40 chips have pretty strong demand.

Pentium Pros are sought after by the scrappers, not so much later chips or even P1 chips.

Old DRAM in DIP packaging is getting harder to find, so it's worth hanging onto some.

Just tossing out a few impressions.

While there are collectors of 286 and 386 chips, the NDPs (80287, 80387) are harder to find and generally command higher prices. Non-x86 CPUs are very much worth hanging onto.

Older x86 CPUs that have utility such as NEC V20, V30 and V40 chips have pretty strong demand.

Pentium Pros are sought after by the scrappers, not so much later chips or even P1 chips.

Old DRAM in DIP packaging is getting harder to find, so it's worth hanging onto some.

Just tossing out a few impressions.

we have a box or two full of the old 32 pin ram. i have actually tried to sell that on ebay with no luck though.

we have a box or two full of the old 32 pin ram. i have actually tried to sell that on ebay with no luck though.

There are a lot of people who advertize those for free. Or just throw them in the garbage. Sad but true. The more precise you describe and market an item the more likely it will sell. Whether that is worth the effort though is always the subject of debate. :D

I'd be interested in some of the 386 stuff on down. And I'm in Atlanta with a free Memorial day weekend coming up. If you had more specific details on what you had (photo's preferably), I could make an offer on some things before the weekend gets here.

Hello.
Would you have such things as 286 to 386 upgrade chips or 386 to 486 chips?
Or ISA RAM boards?
Thanks.

Here's an idea. Find an out of work long time computer geek in your area. Setup an eBay and paypal account. Get them a digital camera and internet access. Offer to pay them commission to test (if possible), list and sell the stuff on eBay, including doing the packing and shipping.

Hey, even if you can just split the difference between scrap and sell price, you'll come up roses.

I've seen lots of sellers post here I've got tons of stuff for sale without an inventory. Even contacted a few with my list and so far its never gone anywhere because the seller doesn't know what he has. As everyone has said inventory, inventory, and more inventory. I personally am looking for a page worth of stuff but not knowing what you have makes it impossible to deal with you. The next things is functionality followed by quality. If you can guarantee it works obviously it is worth more then, untested, as-is.

I treat any of those listings as junk and bid/pay as such. If they are not when I get them then great but I wont pay a premium price for an item that has not been tested, and been in a bin bouncing around. That is not to say you won't get good money for it but don't be expecting $100s of dollars for motherboard/video card/etc. that is untested.

Take something simple like the AT 5170. A member here had been hawking his AT for $250 for months and dropped the price down to $75 and it still didn't sell. He then listed on ebay and got $26 and change for it + S&H after two or three bids. Another ebay seller around the same time sold an AT w/ a rare 5175 monitor w/ box and packing for ~$1000 + S&H w/ intense bidding. Granted the monitor helped but that is a $950 price discrepancy. Why the huge difference:

1. The expensive AT was well documented (pics, inventory of content, etc.)
2. It was tested and working.
3. It was in better shape

If you can classify your items according to thcriteria criterias you will make alot of money. If you just want to dump the stuff, with minimal work then expect lower profits.

Last edited:
The expensive AT went that high because:

A) It literally looked like it came out of a time machine. The owner kept it climate controlled and in packing for the duration of it's life. He even had the original purchase slips.
B) It had a PGC card which is as rare if not more than the 5175
C) I bid $920 because I was sad I lost the auction of the same seller's 5160+5161 that also looked like it came out of a time machine and I still got out bid.
D) Again it really did look like it came out of a time machine. There is 'better shape' and there's what that AT (and his XT) was like.

There are lots of 5170's floating around.. But one as pristine as that with options as rare as that don't come along everyday.

But yes, I don't understand how it can be that hard to pick up a digital camera and take a dozen pictures of something.

I agree (I got priced out after the $200 mark and didn't even bother to bid) that he had an excellent machine. As I said quality is a major factor. But most people don't bother to inventory and I can't decide you have something I want until you advertise/inventory it. You know he had a PGC because he didn't just say "AT sititng in smoke free pet free home, sold as is." Once that is done then quality comes into play. Alot of the guys with huge inventory just want to get rid of it fast which is cool put on afire sale and let it go. The problem is when they want to get rid of it fast, do minimal work (no listing of items, "I think I have this", "dont know if it works") and make alot of money that things start to fall apart.

p.s. PGCs are not that rare. 5175s yes, but not PGCs. In fact there are two PGCs NIB for sale on ebay (not mine) right now.

EDIT:

It had a PGC card which is as rare if not more than the 5175

p.s.s. If you have a line on some NIB/NOS 5175s I am all ears :p

Last edited:
Back