• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PS/2 Model 95 Needed

NeXT

Veteran Member
I seem to have some sort of curse around these systems. Several times now I have almost got one but just before I get it something happens like the seller changes their mind, it's left out in the weather by accident or a situation of apocalyptic nature comes down on me and I have to relocate my source of funds elsewhere.

Anyways, I'm looking for a Model 95 system (Full model: 8595) so I can build a box that uses the Silicon Graphics IrisVision video boardset (PI 4D/25 graphics on two MCA or ISA cards). I seem to be the only one around who has the entire set of cards, manuals, and disks.
I don't need the processor complex though if that widens the number of available units. I already have a Type 3 complex fitted with an am5X86 so I can blaze away. I don't need ram either as I'm swimming in piles of 32mb 72 pin SIMMs and the same goes with hard drives when it comes to 1gb 50 pin SCSI or pretty much any drive though I will need the sleds.

Last edited:
...I don't need the processor complex though if that widens the number of available units. I already have a Type 3 complex fitted with an am5X86 so I can blaze away...

Perhaps I've commented before that if you get a unit to run your T3 ('M', meaning originally a 486DX-50 CPU) complex, it need to be the older "8595" planar, not the "9595" planar (the easy way to tell is one LPT port vs. two).

Further confusing the issue is that a planar and T3 complex in a system is a "9595", along with the T4 complex and planar (the T1 and T2 complexes paired with the older planar are "8595")...

The newer "9595" planar can only run a T4 complex...

I don't believe you have informed me about this before. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever told me this. I was always just running along with the idea that the system remained the same inside over the years with only a few components moving around and that as they were released, IBM fitted different CPU complexes.
Okay, so it means that I need one of the older Model 95 systems, not the newer ones which I guess are electrically different, right?

I don't believe you have informed me about this before. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever told me this. I was always just running along with the idea that the system remained the same inside over the years with only a few components moving around and that as they were released, IBM fitted different CPU complexes.
Okay, so it means that I need one of the older Model 95 systems, not the newer ones which I guess are electrically different, right?

Not really "electrically different", and the older complexes will seat in a planar they can't run in. It's more to do with the BIOS. Here's the planars, and the complexes that will run on them:

"8595" planar: T1, T2, T3, & T4

"9595" planar: T4

(all complexes also run on the "8590" and "9590" planars for the different versions of the desktop Model 90)

As said, it is confusing when the Type 3 complex (there was only one, but more than one for the T1, T2, and T4s) was identified as a "9595" connected to the older planar...

http://ibmmuseum.com/ohlandl/complexes/Complex_ID.html

(you will see the rare Type 0 listed, disregard it unless you are lucky enough to have one)

I can see my Type 3 however I can also recognize the Type 4-XnX from one that we have at the office as ebay fodder that we never put up for sale.

I can see my Type 3 however I can also recognize the Type 4-XnX from one that we have at the office as ebay fodder that we never put up for sale.

The 'N' (486DX2-66) complex is CPUID-sensitive. Later AMD-based upgrades won't make it past the start of POST. My further investigations showed it would run a CPUID 040xh 486DX-33, but not a 041xh 486DX-33.

Okay then. I get the point.
I'll rephrase that I'm looking for a Model 95 WITH the CPU complex so I don't have to fight over what boards will and will not work.

I would hate to see what shipping would cost from the US to Canada for a heavy 95. Can you stuff those cards into a desktop model 8590 (might broaden the search a bit)?

...Can you stuff those cards into a desktop model 8590 (might broaden the search a bit)?

#1) The Model 90 has fewer slots available for adapters...

#2) There is planar video on the Model 90 (XGA-1, the 9590 adds an XGA-2 adapter), the Model 95s does not, so less chance for conflicts with what he wants to do...

#3) The layout of the Model 90, with memory risers and more limited choices to accepted SIMMs, makes it a little quirky in some opinions...

Not really deal-killers, but things to consider...

I thought the two units I had were 95s, but, turns out they are 90s.

Besides which, it would be cheaper to have something shipped from California to BC that it would from Ontario to BC since California is closer :)

I'm aware of that the technical aspects of the card are available online but to my knowledge there is no pictures of the card installed in a system or being used.
It's more of a "We know it exists, we just never saw it" thing. ;)

I'm aware of that the technical aspects of the card are available online but to my knowledge there is no pictures of the card installed in a system or being used.
It's more of a "We know it exists, we just never saw it" thing. ;)

Kind of like the IBM Server 195 and 295?...

The links Louis has for "Roger Brown" are dead, but I think that he also has the Iris adapters himself...

His outlines are generally from him having his hands on, at least temporarily, the real-world PCBs...

Pardon me for sounding like a bigot but to me it feels like you are trying to defeat my reason for the system at every corner.
Don't take this personally, please.

Back