• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Xerox CP/M Software Question (Currently-running fleabay auction)

As you may know, each CP/M is built to a specific machine. So, the machines this would run on would have to be hardware identical to the one specified. I don't know what the sunrise might be the same as. The value here would be the manual.
Kipp

I've suspected that CP/M releases were tied to hardware, but never saw it specifically said. That means that this is relatively useless to me then! I'm just wanting to play around with it - from the screenshots I've seen running on various Kaypro's, it's somewhat DOS-like in appearance, and since I don't have a machine with a Zilog in it (except for my C128), I was hoping to find a copy that would run on a PC.

Ah well... eventually :) Thanks for the response!

Well, you have to understand how CP/M is constructed. There's a hardware independent part (BDOS and CCP) of the operating system, then there's a vendor-supplied part that's essentially a hardware abstraction layer (CBIOS). DRI never made any secret about how they're put together and many vendors included the source to the CBIOS. Any vendor-supplied hardware-specific utilities of course, won't work, but it's quite possible to fit a new CBIOS (if you have the ability to write the code) to any vendor's version of CP/M.

But I don't see the point, since the CP/M OEM sources are freely distributed.

Indeed. But I would have been willing to pay a few dollars for those original manuals. I used to have a set available, now I only have some poor copies. And the scanned/re-made PDFs on bitsaver etc. aren't that nice (those manuals were in a peculiar format anyway). But international shipping added to those $15 will probably add up to too much.

-Tor

The original CP/M manuals were 3-hole punch letter-sized run off on some sort of duplicating equipment. Print quality was pretty bad. I suspect that printing was done on a Diablo Hitype daisy-wheel printer. The paper used was matte-finish low-grade. Later on, DRI distributed the documentation in "perfect" bound books, but with the same awful typeface. If you were a larger OEM, you could get the document files for printing under your own logo, so there were various forms that appeared that way, including the "half-page IBM-sized" type.

Back