• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Ever seen a Xerox Alto or Star for sale?

I don't think there were many made. I saw a circa 1982 video on YouTube marketing the Star. The thing looks very cool for it's time. Guess they never caught on.

Another rare one is an Apollo Computer Workstation. I'm really suprised I can't find one because I live in the town Apollo was incorporated in.

Check out this previous thread from October 2010:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...-Sold-for-30-100-on-eBay&highlight=xerox+alto

Yes, they are extremely rare.

Wow $30k for an Alto. I'm not too surprised because there were only about 2,000 made. I think the Star, which is newer and the first commercially available unit, was manufactured in larger quantaties.

I bet the Alto is in there with Sun 1 and early PDP-10 models as far as availability. It's almost a museum piece.

There isn't a nostalgia market for Apollo stuff. It was so early in its workstation class that it didn't go as fully mainstream as the PDP, Sun, or IRIS went. I know of only ONE person who actually owns Apollo gear. Everyone else wonders what the heck Apollo is.

There isn't a nostalgia market for Apollo stuff. It was so early in its workstation class that it didn't go as fully mainstream as the PDP, Sun, or IRIS went. I know of only ONE person who actually owns Apollo gear. Everyone else wonders what the heck Apollo is.

I believe when most people think of the Apollo name, they associate them with Hewlett Packard and their 700 Series workstations. What makes them collectible is that they are RISC based systems and were cutting edge for their time.

Understood. My first job was at HP. I remember the Apollo heavy pizza boxes floating around. I was never interested in them because they were still slower in our PC desktops.

The problem with very early stuff is not many were made and few people would have used one enough to pay crazy money for them now. Any that are left are probably in a museum someplace collecting dust.

Where would you even find software for a Star?

I have a Star or at least the computer part. No terminal or mouse. Some utility software. I also have collected some Alto RAM boards.

I can be convinced to part with the Xerox Star. Search my website for pictures. PM me if you know anyone would would be interested. I know a poss. source for a mouse and terminal

Update..I traded for a mouse, keyed, and monitor. I am going to see how far I can get it going. It's got a 43 MB Hdrive. I will post some new pics w/I the month...stand by!

I'm looking forward to your post. This is a very cool historic computer. Not to mention your machine was owned by Kurzweil Music Systems in Cambridge, MA. This machine may have helped create Stevie Wonder's keyboard!

Here is an update
http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=311

thm_Xerox_Star_8010_pic3.jpg

Missing panels and wheels
The Quantum Q 2040 Hard drive belt is bad / slips off
Getting an error code 201, which *may* be due to a failure in the 201st of 256K of RAM
Display seems OK.

Bill

Back