Veteran Member
Hello folks,

Recently found one of these in a swap meet:

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/X558.85

It has a missing chip inside and it is fully non-operational,
but anyway...it is fun to look at!

Now, the transparent acrylic sliding window on the front (looks
like a helmet) is all scratchy, and I am wondering as to the best way to
remove them marks. Any suggestion is highly appreciated...

Thank you

ziloo

Brasso will polish scratches out of clear plastics, but you'll want to test it on a discreet portion of the plastic to make sure it doesn't fog it.

Wow is that cool looking, definite space age! If I found that being that it doesn't work, first thing that comes to mind is making it a voip speakerphone! That look great centered on a coffee table or desk.

Bravo glitch! I had partial success with a similar product for
polishing brass. It gave me an idea of what to do next.
I also have to try Druid's method and see what comes out.

Thank you all for your responses!

ziloo

do NOT use toothpaste!!!

do NOT use toothpaste!!!

do not use toothpaste under any circumstances if you want your digitor glass/plastic to be see thru and not cloudy. it is a misconseption that toothpaste will polish something. it will just ruin it. try something without any grit in it like toothpaste has in it, something more like a polish or a wax, and a little elbow grease. i use dupont teflon spray wax and it works excellent. NEVER use toothpaste to polish plastic, you will end up with a cloudy mess worse than if you just left the scratches!!!

About the toothpaste--the abrasive is actually precipitated chalk, not actually an abrasive. Use a very small about and a lot of rubbing (rub until any paste is gone) with a very soft cloth and it works fine. I've got several bits of equipment that were saved that way. One common error is that people glop it on and rub a little bit, leaving a clouded surface. You really have to use elbow grease and very little toothpaste.

There are many commercial products for this purpose that use extremely fine silica. Check your local drugstore for a lens repair kit for eyeglasses. Walgreens has one they call "Lens CPR".

Thanks for clearing that up, Chuck(G). I keep forgetting that people seem to expect instant results and probably have no concept of "elbow grease". It's probably too much like work.

You could also use Jeweller's Rouge to remove the scratches. It's about the same amount of work as toothpaste, but much more expensive for those that equate "costly" with "better".

The problem with jeweler's rouge (and I buy it by the case; 2 lb. bricks and live in the "pink cloud" from time to time) is that it can stain soft plastics. Either use "white rouge" or a specialized compound such as Dico 531:

pACE2-980494dt.jpg

If you're north of the border, Caswell Canada has some good plastic buffing supplies. If you're in the US, then have a look at Caswell Plating's storefront.

Back