• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows update not working on 98 clean install anymore?

aaron7

Experienced Member
I've always run Windows update after a clean install of 98SE. Semi-recently it wouldn't work till you installed IE6 first which I have on a floppy. Did that but when I either click the shortcut for update or type windowsupdate.com it goes to the v4 version of the page and just clicks back and forth between the main update site and a .aspx one or something like that.

Nothing ever loads on the page; stays white.

Is there some update I can do manually so I can access this? Anyone else having this problem?

(googles Unofficial Windows98SE service pack)

You're awesome. :)

Hmmm, I've done the update just last week, but only after I applied the "Unofficial Windows98SE service pack". It worked fine.

I always install this immediately after I install Windows 98SE. It saves a ton of time.

It works just fine IF you upgrade IE to version 6, Windows update doesn't work on any IE before 6.0 (98 came with IE 5.x or older).

Hmmm, I've never had this problem before. I've never tried that unofficial service pack either. Is it just all the previous updates in one big update?

Is that MSIE 6 or MSIE 6 SP1? I generally use SP1 when doing setup; I don't know if that makes a difference.

Probably just the original, it will install the correct version for whatever OS you are using and then you have a few update/reboot cycles to deal with.

Back