• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Two pdp11v03 (in formica-topped cabinets) with peripherals for sale in upstate NY

dwass

I have the following system that is looking for a new home. It has been a long time since I've had it running, but at the time it was decommissioned it was all working. If I remember correctly, I've got the following:

2 x systems with the following configuration (each):
pdp11v03 in the totally vintage Formica-topped coffee table 19-inch cabinet with metal caster wheels
32KW (64KB) RAM memory
Dual RX01 8-inch floppy disk and controller
Decwriter II printing terminal (LA36)
DLV-11J 4-port serial interface

additional peripherals:
1 x Heathkit H19 video terminal (put it together myself!)
1 x LSI (Lear Siegler Industries) Ballistic printer (dot-matrix line printer)

I'm sure I also have some manuals and disks, but I can't guarantee that I can find any of that. If someone is seriously interested in this then I will seriously look for the paperwork.

System is located near Schenectady, NY. Please contact me if you are interested. It would be nice to see it end up in a good home and not on the scrap heap.

-DWass

I would be seriously interested in one of these systems. I'm in Waverly, NY about 3 hrs from you. Could pick it up on a Saturday AM.
Kipp

Got a picture, just wanted to see what they look like. Are they real threes? Or updated to twenty threes? Already have a twenty three but wanted to see how the Formica racks looked.
Have to wonder how hard it would be to convert a twenty three back to a three? Think the three had a full width processor card and wonder if you needed different memory and the like with a full width card?
Ray F

The measurements of the components are:

PDP-11 formica-topped cabinet 28" x 22" x 25" high

DECwriter II 27" x 24" x 34" high

H19 Terminal 20" x 17" x 13" high

Ballistic printer 34" x 28" x 16" high (This measurement of the box)

I've uploaded some pictures too

Back.jpgFront.jpgSide 1.jpgSide 2.jpgTop key board.jpg

I've also found some diagnostic paper tapes and some 8-inch floppies with OS on it. I have no idea if the floppies are still readable after all these years.

Enjoy the pix and let me know if you are interested.

-DWass

Pix are uploaded. These are real pdp-11/03s. I'm pretty sure the 11/03 used the half-width CPU, but it is a long time since I looked at it. The PDP-11 FAQ says that it used the LSI-11/2 (half-width) CPU.

Got a picture, just wanted to see what they look like. Are they real threes? Or updated to twenty threes? Already have a twenty three but wanted to see how the Formica racks looked.
Have to wonder how hard it would be to convert a twenty three back to a three? Think the three had a full width processor card and wonder if you needed different memory and the like with a full width card?
Ray F

Those would be so cool in the living room. Would match my terminal side table theme. How common are formica table PDPs? I've never seen one but that doesn't mean that much. Assuming it would cost a few hundred to ship at least though :-(

I never knew that DEC built a cabinet like that, saw and have the big black racks and the white "washing machine " racks but the wood grain metal sides are so nineteen seventies! Will think about building bigger version or maybe two bays side by side for my eleven. If I had a simulated wood top rack, mustache and plaid shirt I would be "The Man" maybe sit out in the shop with the computer and play eight track tapes of Disco music while trying to interpret octal code.
Ray F

In my case it would have to be Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane [love that Grace], Doors, Renaissance and Moody Blues, with a little Amadeus thrown in occasionally. I remember one shutdown [vacation] engineering worked through, I brought in a VCR and hooked it to the video projector in the lab... software productivity went through the roof for the whole 3 weeks.

The suits were wondering what the hell happened.

As for wood grain Formica... mine's not - it's plain white "clinical style" with baby blue metal. I think it's a 68-69ish kinda "DECSYSTEM 10" vintage thing. [short though] Still prefer the 11/34 style racks best, [H960 "Tall boy"?], with 11/70 DEC DATASYTEM 570 height being second preference. [anyone heard from donutty in a while?]

We used to refer to the MicroVAXII [BA123] as the best coffee table DEC ever made. [till someone put a fridge in one!]

Clothing purely optional.

I really want to apologize for all who sent me private messages 2 years ago when I posted this. I never got back to you because I got busy with other things and this just fell off my radar.

Two years later and we've finally decided to put the stuff up for auction. You can find it on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161102551827 If any of you are still interested, feel free to make an offer. I would love to see the equipment go to a collector.

-DWass

I'd be interested in the LA-36 if you wanted to sell it separately possibly the RX-01 also, I'm in Binghamton and go through S-tady every 2 weeks or so, and can pick them up no problem...please advise & thanks, Roger A in Bingo

Back