• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Surface mount PLCC to PLCC/PGA socket adapter

Megatron-uk

Experienced Member
Hi, anyone come across an adapter that would plug on-top of a surface mount PLCC (an AMD 80286) to turn it in to a PLCC or PGA socket? Ie to make it suitable to plug in an IBM/Kingston 286 to 486SLC upgrade (which are designed to plug in to either PLCC or PGA sockets).

Could such a thing be fashioned with two back mounted PLCC sockets? What would need doing with the existing 286 to disable it?

How would you disable the PLCC CPU already on the board?

The best approach would be to use a low-temp alloy such as Chip-Quik to remove the existing CPU with a minimum of danger to the PCB and solder on a new SMT PLCC socket.

However, if there exists such an adapter, Aries will have it, if anyone will.

You might also use a Pomona PLCC test clip and solder a socket onto it, but that seems like a very expensive and ugly way to go.

Well, I wasn't sure about that - maybe the best way would be to cut the Vcc pin and reroute it to the upper PLCC socket. Or even a miniature dpst to toggle between Vcc active to the 286 and the PLCC socket.

I'm really only half serious anyway.

Well, I wasn't sure about that - maybe the best way would be to cut the Vcc pin and reroute it to the upper PLCC socket. Or even a miniature dpst to toggle between Vcc active to the 286 and the PLCC socket.

I'm really only half serious anyway.

That probably won't work, as you still have the load from the Vcc-less 286 pins present. Since it's a soldered-in 286 PLCC, I'm guessing that it's not a slow 286 either.

Back